Long Lost Member
pattykakes98
Total Posts: 61
Registered on: ‎01-30-2010

Cinsulin

I started taking Cinsulin on Friday. Since then, my numbers have dropped quite a bit and I have had some good (for me) fasting numbers. This morning it was 179, while last week it was as high as 277.
Cinsulin says it is a cinnamon and chromium picolate (?) supplement that helps metabolism.
I think it works! Today I actually had a 96 reading. Phew.
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Cinsulin

I looked up Cinsulin, here are the ingredients

Enhanced Cinsulin� with Glucose Management Proprietary Blend combines concentrated amounts of the following bioactive compounds in one convenient formula:

Cinsulin� � a standardized type-A polymer water extract (bark) of Cinnamomum cassia. In addition to supporting healthy glucose metabolism, cinnamon has been shown to support levels of lipids such as triglycerides, total cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) that are already within normal ranges.1,2

Chromium � a critical co-factor for glucose control, helping to transport blood sugar (glucose) into cells, and thereby supporting already-normal insulin action. Chromium 454� is a highly bioavailable, water-soluble form of chromium that allows for enhanced absorption and utilization of this critical mineral.3

Quercetin � a vegetable-derived bioflavonoid that helps regulate the pro-inflammatory cytokines, ameliorate oxidative stress, and support healthy glucose metabolism.4

CoffeeBerry� Forte extract � contains chlorogenic acid that inhibits glucose-6-phosphatase, an enzyme involved in the conversion of glycogen (stored sugar) to blood glucose, thus helping to maintain already-normal glucose metabolism.5-8

Green tea extract � rich in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which has been shown in human and animal studies to support healthy glucose metabolism.9

GlucoHelp� � a patented banaba extract standardized for corosolic acid, which has been shown in laboratory, animal, and human studies to support healthy glucose metabolism.10-12

I don't know if these things actually help but it all sounds good on the web site. If it works for you that is great!! It also says to eat a healthy diet and exercise. Those 2 things will definately help lower your BG.

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,715
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,223
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Cinsulin

pattykakes98 (9/13/2010)
I started taking Cinsulin on Friday. Since then, my numbers have dropped quite a bit and I have had some good (for me) fasting numbers. This morning it was 179, while last week it was as high as 277.

Cinsulin says it is a cinnamon and chromium picolate (?) supplement that helps metabolism.

I think it works! Today I actually had a 96 reading. Phew.

It may or may not work, but I think you need to have a good look at other options. Those fasting numbers are still much too high.

I know you also use insulin, but I've forgotten the details. What other dietary changes or medications have you made?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Long Lost Member
pattykakes98

Cinsulin

I am still using way too much insulin, but need to at this point due to my high insulin resistance. Levemir 35 units every night, and 10 units in the am. Novolog 30-35 units before each meal.
I make good food choices, high protein, low carb, high veggie meals and snacks. Walking for exercise. Going to join the gym.
I know the numbers are still high, but I have made no other changes since last week and they have dropped significantly. I am still working on doing better, and I know I have a ways to go.
I see the CDE again today and am going to bring the Cinsulin with me. I have also contacted my doctor and sent over a list of my most recent sugar results. I am thinking I am going to start metformin again 500 mg 2x a day to try and lessen my insulin use. I spoke with the MD about it and she agreed.
So...while they are still high it is encouraging to me to know that I CAN get lower. Just a good feeling to see something under 180 after so long of being so much higher.
Long Lost Member
pattykakes98

Cinsulin

juliam1969 (9/14/2010)
I looked up Cinsulin, here are the ingredients

Enhanced Cinsulin� with Glucose Management Proprietary Blend combines concentrated amounts of the following bioactive compounds in one convenient formula:

Julia

Actually, the supplement I am taking only has 200 mcg of chromium picolinate and 500mg cinnamon bark extract as supplemental ingredients.
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,715
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,223
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Cinsulin

pattykakes98 (9/14/2010)
I am still using way too much insulin,

Why do you think that? Others can give better advice than I on insulin but there is no "too much" as far as I am aware. There is only "right for you". At the moment either your insulin needs a change or your menu or your exercise need a change.

There is no shame in discovering what the right insulin - or the right medication or the right menu - is for you.

I make good food choices, high protein, low carb, high veggie meals and snacks.

Could you expand on that? Would you mind posting a day's menu and the resulting peak post-meal BGs?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Long Lost Member
pattykakes98

Cinsulin

alan_s (9/14/2010)
pattykakes98 (9/14/2010)
I am still using way too much insulin,

Why do you think that? Others can give better advice than I on insulin but there is no "too much" as far as I am aware. There is only "right for you". At the moment either your insulin needs a change or your menu or your exercise need a change.

There is no shame in discovering what the right insulin - or the right medication or the right menu - is for you.

You are right on that. I just feel like it is a lot. Then again, it is what my body needs, apparently.

Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461

Cinsulin

pattykakes98 (9/14/2010)
I am still using way too much insulin

Just to emphasis the point, what do you say that? Too much would mean that you are suffering continuous low blood sugar.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,677
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,846
Solutions: 137

Cinsulin

I am still using way too much insulin, but need to at this point due to my high insulin resistance. Levemir 35 units every night, and 10 units in the am. Novolog 30-35 units before each meal.

Actually the Levemir amounts don't seem high at all. The Novolog does seem higher than normal though. Is that a typo? About how many grams of carbs are you eating per meal?

That's not to say that you might not need that amount, but if you're eating for instance 20 grams of carbs per meal that would work out to more than 1 unit per one gram of carb, and that does seem rather high.

Are you adding correction factors into the per-meal amount? It's possible that the Levemir isn't high enough and the Novolog is covering extra for what isn't being taken care of by the Levemir. You could also be going low because of the excess Novolog and bouncing back with a liver dump. There's just something that doesn't seem correct with this.

The fact that your fasting numbers are so high also indicates that your Levemir (basal) amount is too low. That's usually the first thing that is determined when starting insulin, the basal amount. When it gets to the point where your fasting is within reasonable limits then the rapid amount is usually worked out.

Regarding the supplement, it's been my both personal and reading experiences of others that the very most they can decrease the numbers (when they work at all) is about 10 percent. That's not nearly enough, and is it worth what your paying for it?

Also, have you had your Vit. D levels checked? A deficiency of that vitamin can lead to increased insulin resistance.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
pattykakes98

Cinsulin

lizzylou (9/14/2010)

Actually the Levemir amounts don't seem high at all. The Novolog does seem higher than normal though. Is that a typo? About how many grams of carbs are you eating per meal?

That's not to say that you might not need that amount, but if you're eating for instance 20 grams of carbs per meal that would work out to more than 1 unit per one gram of carb, and that does seem rather high.

Are you adding correction factors into the per-meal amount? It's possible that the Levemir isn't high enough and the Novolog is covering extra for what isn't being taken care of by the Levemir. You could also be going low because of the excess Novolog and bouncing back with a liver dump. There's just something that doesn't seem correct with this.

The fact that your fasting numbers are so high also indicates that your Levemir (basal) amount is too low. That's usually the first thing that is determined when starting insulin, the basal amount. When it gets to the point where your fasting is within reasonable limits then the rapid amount is usually worked out.

Regarding the supplement, it's been my both personal and reading experiences of others that the very most they can decrease the numbers (when they work at all) is about 10 percent. That's not nearly enough, and is it worth what your paying for it?

Also, have you had your Vit. D levels checked? A deficiency of that vitamin can lead to increased insulin resistance.

Lizzy

Vitamin D is low, I am taking supplements. I am taking at least 30 units of novolog with meals, and doing 30-45 carbs, usually closer to 30 and still reading high after the meal. I have an incredibly high insulin resistance, and my CDE tells me today that I have a 'hard case' of diabetes. We both think there is some underlying diagnosis that hasn't been discovered yet. I am going to get referred to an endocrinologist, but the closest is 4 hours away. As far as the insulin and my #s, they just lowered dramatically when I added the supplement so I am going to continue on it and see my MD about other changes. After adding the CinSulin my fastings dropped by almost 100, so I am pleased with that result so far. Definitely worth $15.36 for a 2 month supply. Also, going to add metformin back in slowly.