Advisor
LindaLeona
Total Posts: 85
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

Chia Seeds so rich in fiber and omega-3! But now what?!

I was wondering if anyone has used chia seeds in their diabetic journey. I recently bought them because I heard their high and omega-3 without the fishy after taste. Only problem is, any recipe I find involves fruit. Does any one use this? Have any suggestions on how to use it?

Thanks for reading!

L i n d a L e o n a

"I can do hard things"

Diagnosed Type 2 December 23rd 2011
12/23/2011 A1C of 11.5 at diagnosis
03/20/2012 A1C of 6.5 :smileyhappy:
06/15/2012 A1C of 6.0 :smileyhappy:
10/19/2012 A1C of 5.5 :smileyhappy:

Janumet 2x daily diet&exercise
Established Advisor
greydogs
Total Posts: 980
Registered on: ‎12-13-2010

Re: Chia Seeds so rich in fiber and omega-3! But now what?!

[ Edited ]

Funny, my wife was asking the same thing the other night, and we find this on the internet:http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways-to-use-chia-seeds.php

Of course, a lot of these ideas aren't diabetes friendly, but, there's enough there to get a start on things. 

1. Mix 1 dessertspoon of chia seeds with a quarter cup of water to make an egg substitute for baking cakes and cookies.

2. Add chia seeds to apple juice to make “sago”.

3. Grind seeds and add to hot milk to make a “porridge”

4. Mix seeds through yogurt.

5. Add seeds to soup to thicken.

6. Grind seeds and mix with flour, milk and eggs to make pancakes.

7. Add seeds to salad dressings.

8. Eat Chia seeds whole and raw as a snack.

9. Add whole seeds to diluted fruit juice to make  Chia Fresca.

10. Make Chia Pudding by adding whole seeds to milk, nut milk or soy milk.

11. Blend chia seeds into smoothies.

12. Make a “lassie” by blending chia seeds, yogurt and fruit juice.

13. Add chia seeds to beaten eggs, soak for 10 minutes and make an omelette.

14. Mix with worcestershire or bbq sauce and brush over barbequed meats.

15. Add ground chia seeds to flour when making bread.

16.  Make chia pan bread by combining chia seeds, eggs, milk, flour and baking powder. Cook in a heavy based pan with a lid on.

17. Add whole chia seeds to a cake batter to make a heavy poppy seed like cake.

18. Add seeds to stews to thicken.

19. Throw some seeds into a stir fry.

20. Make a thin batter of ground chia seeds and milk and cook in a slow oven to make crackers.

21. Sprinkle seeds over a salad.

22. Pureed fruit, chia seeds and a little fruit juice is a good topping for ice cream.

23. Stir whole seeds through cooked lentils.

24. Soak seeds in beaten eggs and use this mix to make a frittata.

25. Cook brown rice in vegetable stock and stir chia seeds through when rice is cooked.

26. Top a cheesecake with chia seeds soaked in fruit juice to make a gel toppingl.

27. Add whole or ground seeds to cookie mixes.

28. Mix ground seeds with ground beef to make meatballs.

29. Cook brown rice in apple juice, add grated apple and stir whole chia seeds through the mixture for a tasty dessert.

30. Toasted ground chia seeds mixed with honey and cinnamon makes a wonderful base for cheesecake.

31. Add whole seeds to granola.

32. Mix white chia seeds that have been soaked in milk through mashed potatoes.

33. Sprout the seeds and use in salads.

34. Mix ground seeds with butter or peanut butter for a nutritious spread.

35. Cinnamon, ground chia and butter is great on hot scones.

36. Add a desert spoon of black seeds to a green jelly mix for “frogs egg jelly”.

37. Spread a mixture of honey, cinnamon, dried fruit and ground chia on to filo or puff pastry sheets, roll up and cook in a hot oven.

38. Mix the seeds, whole or ground through Nutella.

39. Add ground seeds soaked in an egg to bind a hamburger mix.

40. Soak chia seeds in milk and mix through hot oatmeal.

A1C
--11.4- 12/23/09 (at diagnosis)
--9.3- 1/21/10
--5.8- 4/25/10
--6.1- 6/15/13
--5.8--8/5/13
--6.1--3/14/14(most recent)
Heart bypass surgery 1/10/13
Managing bg with diet and exercise.

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,086
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Look into flax seeds also. They are hi in omega 3 also.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

LindaLeona, I expect that chia seeds are like all seeds and must be ground in order for them not to go straight through the digestive tract.

An ounce of chia seeds has 12 grams of carbohydrate....flaxseed has 8.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2

We have discussed krill oil before and it has no aftertaste and is also a much smaller capsule.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,387
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I add them to FiberOne pancakes.  I can handle 1 pancake.  They soak up lots of water, so make sure to let them sit before you start cooking to make sure things don't get too dry.  Others in the family use them on yogurt, in baking, gravy thickener, 

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Advisor
LindaLeona
Total Posts: 85
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have tried flax seed before which are good to make something, but to me they have a fishy after taste that I just can't kick. I heard these were really good for you, and also make you feel a lot more full. You don't have to grind them up and when they absorb water, it makes this gel like consistency. I found this out when I sprinkled a teaspoon in my protein drink. I was using a straw to drink it, and all of a sudden, I couldn't use one anymore! lol

If anyone has tried any of these recipes, I would like to hear about it.

thanks for reading!

L i n d a L e o n a

"I can do hard things"

Diagnosed Type 2 December 23rd 2011
12/23/2011 A1C of 11.5 at diagnosis
03/20/2012 A1C of 6.5 :smileyhappy:
06/15/2012 A1C of 6.0 :smileyhappy:
10/19/2012 A1C of 5.5 :smileyhappy:

Janumet 2x daily diet&exercise
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup

Lindaleona wrote:

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have tried flax seed before which are good to make something, but to me they have a fishy after taste that I just can't kick. I heard these were really good for you, and also make you feel a lot more full. You don't have to grind them up and when they absorb water, it makes this gel like consistency. I found this out when I sprinkled a teaspoon in my protein drink. I was using a straw to drink it, and all of a sudden, I couldn't use one anymore! lol

Ahh, thanks for that info about the thickening. I will try to find some today at our health food store. They might just work for thickening stews and soups and gravy. Is there much flavor? Would it be overpowering?

Dianne

Dianne

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Frequent Responder
bgbmt
Total Posts: 371
Registered on: ‎02-12-2012

[ Edited ]

I sprinkle them on yogurt, mix about 1/2 tsp of them in with Almond or Coconut milk w/Da Vinci syrup, add them to my cracker recipe, one minute miffins, and to my flax granola for breakfast.  I made the pudding for my first use of them and ate half of it.  Big mistake!!  I was blocked up and bloated feeling for a couple of days!!  Since then, I use them in small amounts added to things or sprinkled on top more like a seasoning. (I probably eat a tablespoon or two a day that way.)  I don't notice any taste to them and like the little bit of crunch they add to the yogurt or cream cheese.  You really don't need to grind them, they become a gel like consistency  when they are wet and can be added to lots of things.

I use the Nutiva brand from netrition.  A serving is 1 Tbs (12g):  60 calories,  total Carbs 5g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Protein 3g, 2.5g Omega-3. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barbara (T2)

dx 2-2-12: FBG 243; A1c 9.5%;
Cholesterol 211; Trigliceride 200; HDL 41; LDL 130;
ratio chol/LDL 5.1; 180 lbs- 5'5" age 62

5/12: FBG 96; Home test A1c 5.8%; 167 lbs

6/12: FBG 85; A1c 5.7%;
Cholesterol 184; Trig 172; HDL 57; LDL 92.6;
ratio chol.HDL 3.2; 167 lbs age 63

9/11/12 FBG 72; Bayer Home A1c test A1c 5.0%; 162.6 lb
12/12: FBG 82; A1c 5%; 156.4#
2/2/13: FBG 76; Bayer A1c 5.1%; 154#
6/4/13: FBG 79; A1c 4.4%; 152#
Metformin HCL 500 mg (2); MultiVitamin; Vit D; Lutein; Krill Oil; R-Alpha Lipoic Acid; CoQ10; 3 Tb Coconut Oil
LC/HF Ketogenic diet
Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 354
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I use ground Chia seeds instead of oatmeal in meatloaf.  I use  1/2 to 1 tablespoon per pound of hamburger.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup

goldensun wrote:

I use ground Chia seeds instead of oatmeal in meatloaf.  I use  1/2 to 1 tablespoon per pound of hamburger.

I haven't for decades added any filler to my meatloaf. I simply use a lean ground beef, egg, tomato paste and a little finely ground onion. The egg binds the loaf and it keeps it's shape without adding breadcrumbs, oatmeal or other starch.

I did buy some chia seeds today but I am going to use them with caution as a thickener.

Dianne

Dianne