Responder
rbotzler
Total Posts: 26
Registered on: ‎02-24-2012

Carbs - too few?

Is it possible to eat too few carbs? I'm not talking about vegetables - aside from corn, peas etc.

The RD insists that I should never have a meal below 30 grams and she would prefer 45 per meal and 15 at every snack. She also insists that it is important to eat the same amount of carbs at every meal. The reason she states this is important is gluconeogenisis.

I have decided that I am in charge here - :smileyhappy:

While I will listen to what they say - I am going to sort out what works best for me and my numbers.

Just wanted to hear your experiences in this matter.

As always thanks in advance for your support and knowledge.

Ria
Diagnosed 2-20-12 FBG 274 HA1c 13
4-4-12 FBG 117 HA1c 8.6
Janumet - 50/1000 Twice a day
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Carbs - too few?

The RD I used to go to said much the same things - I don't see her any more because she would push this every time, and every time I told her I would eat carbs according to what my meter says.

It was a shame because aside from the carbs issue, her nutritional advice was very good - for non-diabetics.  The clinic I go to has the RDE and RD and usually diabetics go to one then the other right away and my RDE is OK with that as he says I know more and have better control than most of his patients. 

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Rbotzler wrote:
Is it possible to eat too few carbs? I'm not talking about vegetables - aside from corn, peas etc.

The RD insists that I should never have a meal below 30 grams and she would prefer 45 per meal and 15 at every snack. She also insists that it is important to eat the same amount of carbs at every meal. The reason she states this is important is gluconeogenisis.

I have decided that I am in charge here - :smileyhappy:

While I will listen to what they say - I am going to sort out what works best for me and my numbers.

Just wanted to hear your experiences in this matter.

As always thanks in advance for your support and knowledge.

Ria

I like xena's answer to this. Her diabetes educator agrees with what she is doing. Her dietician, poor dear, is just too worried about your going low to realize that you can choose a way to eat lower amount of carbs without going hypo. Don't let her try to baffle you with a multi-syllabic word :smileywink:

Wikipedia says this about gluconeogenesis...

Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids.

It is one of the two main mechanisms humans and many other animals use to keep blood glucose levels from dropping too low (hypoglycemia). The other means of maintaining blood glucose levels is through the degradation of glycogen (glycogenolysis).[1]

I have had two diabetes educators and two dieticians and their classes were mostly about what food choices to make. We were taught that we need to count the carbs we eat, test afterward to see if we ate too many carbs. Simple as that.

We were of course warned that we must not go too low and were taught how to treat those lows. Some of the older printouts passed out at the class suggested much higher carb content that would work for many people. Our dietician was very flexible about the amount of carbs and did say at that time, over 6 years ago, that the minimum per day recommended was 135 grams. But she also acknowledged that one could go lower than that without compromising brain function or causing lows although caution was advised.

Ultimately I came out of those classes with the information enabling me to do my own control of my own diabetes.

The answer to your initial question is yes, you can eat too few carbs. You and your meter will have to decide what brings you in danger of going low or even if you need a few more carbs to satisfy your liver that it need not pump our glucose into your blood.

I did find out that I need 10-15 grams of carb in the morning to stop my high fasting numbers from rising even further.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,512
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Rbotzler wrote:
....I have decided that I am in charge here - :smileyhappy:

While I will listen to what they say - I am going to sort out what works best for me and my numbers....Ria

I love that!  I agree with Xenablue's post as well.

My RD told me I could have 65 g carbs at a meal.  I couldn't help but laugh out loud.  I think most of their advice is based upon what people did before personal BG meters.  Meters give you dymanic control and let you get away from the static and outdated advice.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 501
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

Like virtually any person, RD's can get an idea fixed in their minds and will not move irregardless.  I say, let your meter be your guide.  I usually breakfast at about 40-45 carbs, lunch around 35 and dinner (needs to be more like 30) often 35-40.  Snacks vary from 10-20 depending on whether I'm having nuts, cheese, granola bar or even ice cream.  My meter tells me if I had too much of the wrong kind of carb, i.e. pasta.

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

"I think most of their advice is based upon what people did before personal BG meters.  Meters give you dymanic control and let you get away from the static and outdated advice."

Texas Jack, I am going to quote you on that. A lot!

It might just make some of the old school start to rethink things.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Even my certified diabetes educators, also RNs, said the same thing.  I need to consume 60g. of carbs PER MEAL, and for males, 75g.

I also eat to my meter.

Responder
rbotzler
Total Posts: 26
Registered on: ‎02-24-2012

Her argument is that if you don't eat enough carbs that the liver will produce glucose to compensate. I gave her an example of breakfast that I had that morning - omelet with mushrooms, cheese, avocado, ham and salsa - yum! But she didn't like that because it didn't have enough carbs. I guess I am trying to figure out if there is any logic to her argument.
Diagnosed 2-20-12 FBG 274 HA1c 13
4-4-12 FBG 117 HA1c 8.6
Janumet - 50/1000 Twice a day
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,601
Topics: 74
High Fives: 883
Solutions: 107
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Rbotzler wrote:
Her argument is that if you don't eat enough carbs that the liver will produce glucose to compensate. I gave her an example of breakfast that I had that morning - omelet with mushrooms, cheese, avocado, ham and salsa - yum! But she didn't like that because it didn't have enough carbs. I guess I am trying to figure out if there is any logic to her argument.

Maybe, but probably not. 

The best way for you to tell is to test before and after breakfast, to see for yourself what happens.  That is just one of the ways that testing can help you do a better job of managing your diabetes, even if it isn't what your educator expect you to do.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Rbotzler wrote:

There is some truth in her argument about what might happen between meals, and if you never had any snacks that could be a problem.  But if you eat fewer carbs at the meal, and then have a snack like clockwork two hours later, midway to the next meal, your liver won't cause problems. I think to some extent advice like hers is intended for people whose schedule does not allow them to ever eat between meals, and in that case it **might** make sense...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...