Established Collector
razeey
Total Posts: 604
Registered on: ‎12-26-2011

Carbs per day CHART???

Anyone know where can find out how many CARBS each day I should be eating??  "Thank You" for any info on this.......razeey

Were HIGH on LIFE!
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Carbs per day CHART???

That is a YMMV  !!!!!!

I eat to  my meter.......some days 100 carbs....some days 130carbs.....some days 30carbs............but I'm sure if there is a chart someone will be along soon to post it.

See ya.................................Big Red................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,855
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,934
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

razeey wrote:

Anyone know where can find out how many CARBS each day I should be eating??  "Thank You" for any info on this.......razeey

I know a sure fire way to find out, read this:  click here  then read THIS.

Remember too, that it's not really carbs per day which is important, it's carbs per meal. The carbs you eat should be divided among the meals/snacks you eat according to the level that your body will handle without going too high.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
ellieaire
Total Posts: 295
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

[ Edited ]

Raz: It isn't like you can eat really lo carb one meal and say to yourself that because you ate lo carb the last meal that you can indulge in more the next.  It doesn't work that way at all.  Eat to your meter and you will discover how many and what to eat to get consistency.  Speaking for myself, I eat between 20 - 30 carbs per meal and that depends on what exercise I have done.  Today, I walk up hills for 1-1/2 hours and this evening another 30 minutes of hills (4.5 miles).  I can eat a little more carbs if I choose at dinner, but will probably just eat 20 grams of carbs.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,425
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,375
Solutions: 155

razeey wrote:

It's not about carbs per day, but carbs per meal. That can vary for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

Here is a guide to developing your own personal chart (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Established Collector
razeey
Total Posts: 604
Registered on: ‎12-26-2011

So you eat the carbs, then test 2-hrs later....Thank you, raze

Were HIGH on LIFE!
Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

[ Edited ]

razeey,

My approach may be a little different from others. My view is that I am going to control diabetes, and diabetes is not going to control me. My BG meter can tell me what my BG is, but it is not going to tell me what to eat. It may tell me what treatment I need, but not what to eat. Most diabetics die from heart disease and stroke. Risk of dying from those diseases are 2-3 times higher than for a non diabetic. So, I am going to eat to maintain my heart health first, and then do what it takes to control BG second. The best guidelines I have seen for diabetes nutrition therapy come from the Canadian Diabetes Association. With respect to how much they say:

"The acceptable macronutrient distribution range, or percentage of total daily energy associated with reduced risk of chronic disease for adults, is as follows: carbohydrate intake of no less than 45% (in part to prevent high intakes of fat); and fat intake of a maximum of 35% (26). Diets that provide >60% of total daily energy from low-glycemic-index and high-fibre carbohydrates improve glycemic and lipid control in adults with type 2 diabetes (27)."

If you want to translate that to grams of carbohydrates you first have to know what you need for total calories in a day to maintain your weight. For example lets say it is 1800 calories. Then you need 45% minimum of that from carbs, or 810 calories. There are 4 calories per gram of carbs, so that means about 200 grams of carbs per day. You can figure out the others by the same method. Fat is 9 calories per gram, and protein is the same as carbs at 4 calories per gram.

The complete CDA Guidelines are at the link below:

CDA Diabetes Nutrition Therapy Guidelines

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

razeey wrote:

Hi Raze,

You have to keep testing to find your individual "peak" time-mine is about an hour...after 2 hours, I am typically back down to pre-meal levels-but your peak could be 1/2 hour, or 90 minutes...unless you test, you don't truly know!

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Sue

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,425
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,375
Solutions: 155

[ Edited ]

razeey wrote:

Almost, but not quite.

Find what time you peak after meals. That may be closer to one hour than two. Then use that timing for your post-meal tests as I describe on that link.

Be aware that I totally disagree with the Canadian and American Diabetes Association's guidelines on diet for diabetics. I followed the Australian version of those guidelines when I was first diagnosed. I improved for a short while and then started getting worse, until I developed the technique of testing after meals and using the feedback to improve my blood glucose levels.

You will have to make your own decision on what you think will work best for you.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,391
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

Ron, the link, CDA Diabetes Nutrition Therapy Guidelines, that you supplied in your reply to razeey is bad.

Just thought you would want to know.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety