Long Lost Member
pattyci
Total Posts: 49
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

Can shingles affect blood sugar?

I had a light case of shingles on my sciatica nerve which I have had five times in the past. Last case about four years ago. This time though my sugar has been running higher. I was just 244 and thinking that I am getting some liver dumps cause I've felt hungry, but not feeling well enough to eat much and the high numbers happened a couple times today.

My doc told me not to take my humalog at night time, so haven't and drinking plenty of water, took my pain med, and med for shingles. Does anyone know if this may be making my numbers higher?

Thanks,

Pattyci
Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,770
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I've had shingles, they cause a lot of STRESS and stress makes our BGs go higher because of the pain. Also, it's possible the shingles meds and pain meds could cause a spike in BGs. You might tell your PCP about the spike and ask about upping your diabetes meds for the time being. Brenda
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I have never heard of Acyclovir causing blood glucose numbers to increase, but shingles sure will, especially when they first hit and the shingles are strongest. AFter you get past the initial shock, they won;t be as high, but still might be higher than usual.

That is how it worked for me, anyway. I do not take insulin, but would suggest talking with your doctor to see if upping the dosage would be appropriate.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Long Lost Member
pattyci

Thanks Brenda and Morris. Right now, sugar is like a roller coaster at times. Now I am 160, which is lots better but nauseated, so hopefully it don't just crash cause do not feel like eating.

Doc is out of office tomorrow, so will call Friday morning and just keep trying to control sugar as best as I can.

I haven't had any rest much either and that may be another thing making it worse. Hubby fell last week and need to help him alot.

Thanks,

Pattyci
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I had shingles 6 months ago and it certainly played havoc with my BG numbers. The medication didn't make a difference though, and only taken for a week, but my numbers were still higher for weeks following.

Xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137

pattyci (7/22/2010)
I had a light case of shingles on my sciatica nerve which I have had five times in the past. Last case about four years ago. This time though my sugar has been running higher. I was just 244 and thinking that I am getting some liver dumps cause I've felt hungry, but not feeling well enough to eat much and the high numbers happened a couple times today.

My doc told me not to take my humalog at night time, so haven't and drinking plenty of water, took my pain med, and med for shingles. Does anyone know if this may be making my numbers higher?

Thanks,
Pattyci

Hi Patty,

Shingles on the sciatic nerve!! That's like double trouble.

I see you say you're on a sliding scale already. It's likely that the doctor will give you a different one for this problem.

If you don't feel like eating perhaps this is one case where you could have some juice or even ice cream. You need something to keep the liver happy.

Hope you feel better soon.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
pattyci

xenablue (7/22/2010)
I had shingles 6 months ago and it certainly played havoc with my BG numbers. The medication didn't make a difference though, and only taken for a week, but my numbers were still higher for weeks following.

Xena

Thanks, Xena. These are awful things to get, aren't they? I know they have a vaccine out for them now, so going to have to ask Doc about it.

Patty
Long Lost Member
pattyci

Hi Patty,

Shingles on the sciatic nerve!! That's like double trouble.

I see you say you're on a sliding scale already. It's likely that the doctor will give you a different one for this problem.

If you don't feel like eating perhaps this is one case where you could have some juice or even ice cream. You need something to keep the liver happy.

Hope you feel better soon.

Lizzy

Doc told me before he never saw anyone get them on the sciatica nerve before, but is always where I get them.

I wish Doc would would let me try Lantus or Levimir once a day to see if that would give me better control, but he says that is for people over 400-500, and he said he is afraid I will go too low at night with it.

I was better this morning. I only slept six hours though and it was 154 when I got up and I ate a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and I checked in an hour and was 134. Before lunch, I was 142. I drank a can of Glucerna, which is better than something hot right now.

Thanks so much,

Patty
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137

wish Doc would would let me try Lantus or Levimir once a day to see if that would give me better control, but he says that is for people over 400-500, and he said he is afraid I will go too low at night with it.

Oh my, that's not a good sign. It's also not true according to many of the folks here and a lot of what I've read. If a person were to wait to have levels that high they'd probably have a lot of damage by that time.

You might want to consider seeing a new doctor, one who specializes in diabetes. I know it might surprise you, but many doctor know very little about it.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Good sign/bad sign--

I would agree with Lizzy that your quote from the doctor indicates that he might not be the best person for diabetes. It sounds like he is worried about your ability to follow a detailed program, that if you try insulin, you wil inevitably take too much and go low--that doesn't have to happen.

but those lower numbers sound very good--like maybe you have gotten past the worst of it now. You might see those numbers for while now, as the shingles gradually improves, but perhaps your doctor is right to the extent that insulin might be overkill at this point...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...