Long Lost Member
jeannesha
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎05-19-2011

Can Metformin make you dizzy?

Hello! I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a month ago, and my doctor started me on Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

I had the typical side effects (gastro) at first, but those seem to be gone now.

My problem is that I have some vertigo going on that is disconcerting.
I don't know if it's the Metformin, or just my Menier's disease coming back.
(I have had Menier's in the past, but very short "attacks", and it has been gone for a number of years now).

I don't have a "fall down crawling on the ground" feeling, just a bit of light-headedness when I move my head around. It's been this way for a week now.
I was just wondering if this is normal for the diabetes or Metformin...

Jeanne
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,461
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Could be a little of both Meniere's and diabetes.  I had a little problem with metformin -- nausea, dizziness -- a few times at first, and for only a couple of seconds.  Quickly passed, and eventually went away.  Are you taking it with food, and lots of water?  Spreading it out as much as possible -- breakfast and dinner, or evening snack?  Those things helped me get adjusted to it.  (Plus, starting with just 500mg for quite a while, and then gradually  adding another pill, as long as it was tolerated.  If I started having gastro-intestinal problems, I'd cut back to just one pill for a day before going back to two.  Same when I added third pill, but by then I was more used to it, and only occasionally had to cut back to two.)
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Long Lost Member
jeannesha

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't sure that it would be the metformin, mainly because I didn't have the dizziness when I first started taking it. But then again, the other side effects could have "masked" it. Now that those side effects are gone, I may be feeling the dizziness more.

I take my metformin in the morning with a breakfast bar before my walk, (I have to get out as early as possible before the temps get too high).  The 2nd metformin I take right after my dinner.

I don't drink water...just lots of Crystal Lite Peach ice tea. (no carbs! yay!).
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

When is the dizziness occuring?  If morning, would take the met mid-breakfast bar.  If evening -- would try taking the met WITH dinner, instead of after, and see if that helps.  P.S.: I added some more to my previous response after you replied to it.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095

Long Lost Member
jeannesha

It matters if you take it during a meal?
Wow...I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

The dizzyness is basically there all the time. It tends to be more positional with my head in different poses, which is what made me initially think it was just Menier's in a different form.

I'm going to take some meclizine and see if that helps.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Frequent Responder
robertmiles
Total Posts: 423
Registered on: ‎02-01-2010

You might want to check your blood pressure at such times, since low blood pressure is another known cause of dizziness.