Responder
Sherry2225
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Calling for baked goods recipes

Hello Fellow Diabetes Type 2 Club Members,

I am looking for any special and truly delicious low carb/sugar free using Splenda or Stevia muffins, cupcakes, cakes or any type of baked goods.  i am newly diagnosed since December and have been playing around with some of my old recipes and trying to modify them.  Some have worked some have wound up in the trash can.  At this time, I can say I do make a mean 18.5 carb carrot cake muffin using Splenda brown sugar blend.  Willing to share if anyone would like. So look forward to hearing from you with loads of new recipes. Have a great rest of the day. Rhonda

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Calling for baked goods recipes

sherry2225 wrote:

Hello Fellow Diabetes Type 2 Club Members,

I am looking for any special and truly delicious low carb/sugar free using Splenda or Stevia muffins, cupcakes, cakes or any type of baked goods.  i am newly diagnosed since December and have been playing around with some of my old recipes and trying to modify them.  Some have worked some have wound up in the trash can.  At this time, I can say I do make a mean 18.5 carb carrot cake muffin using Splenda brown sugar blend.  Willing to share if anyone would like. So look forward to hearing from you with loads of new recipes. Have a great rest of the day. Rhonda

Welcome to the board Rhonda!

Have you read much on our Eating Right section?  There are good ideas and recipes there.

Also try the Low Carb Friends site. I think it is lowcarbfriends.com  It is one that I have used and others on the board have recommended it. Also there is one with "luxury" in the name. Try googling that too.

Are you able to include a muffin that has 18.5 grams of carb in your meals or snacks? I would find that about half of that or a smaller size muffin would work best for me.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Responder
Sherry2225

Hi Dianne,

Thanks so much for responding and giving me yur tips.  No I do not use this as a snack carb that is only 15 for me, I will maybe have 1 with my breakfast and then have an egg or fruit to make up my 45 breakfast carbs.

Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi Sherry, I can only echo what Dianne said - there are a lot of great recipes on the Eating Right forum.

I have a question if I may - what are your BG readings like after a 45g carb breakfast?  I'm afraid I would be well over 200, which is the case for many I see on here - 5-10g carbs is about my limit.

I do use Carbalose and Carbquik for waffles, pancakes and to reduce carbs in baked goods.  Carbalose gives a different result from regular flour, so I make a mix of regular flour, almond (or other nut) meal and Carbalose to give a better result.  Best place to buy Carbalose/Carbquik is from www.netrition.com.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Responder
Sherry2225

Hi Xena,

I am on Glumetz 500 mg 2 times a day.  I have been instructed since December when diagnosed with the hospital and my diabetes doctor to have a 45 carb breakfast a 15 carb snack in between breakfast and lunch then a 45 carb lunch and a 15 carb snack between lunch and dinner and then a 45 carb dinner with a 15 carb snack just before I go to bed. I test fasting when I just wake up and am 110-118ish, my doctor would love to see me at 100 or a bit lower and then I test 2 hours after dinner and my doctor wants me to be 140 or lower and I am usually like 120 or lower each night.  My A1C in December was 6.9 and last check up it was 6.6 as my doctor was thrilled but of course is hoping for better when I see him again in July.  I hope that answers your question of how I handle a 18.50 carb muffin for breakfast.

Responder
Sherry2225

Does it sound to you like I am doing something wrong?  

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

sherry2225 wrote:

Does it sound to you like I am doing something wrong?  

Not at all Rhonda. It looks like you are doing very well. Your numbers seem good and your A1c is coming down.

It is likely that you are one of the people who can cope with the higher recommendation of carbs that many doctors and CDEs give out. A lot of us on this board do find that that many carbohydrates spike our blood sugar way to high. I, for instance seem to handle 10-15 grams best at breakfast and well below 45 for lunch and dinner. But I do snack a lot and keep those snacks to anywhere from 5 to 10 grams, occasionally 15.

I have found out what works for me by testing at about 1½ hrs after I start a meal and let my results be the guide for how that particular meal worked for me. Like your doctor said, I want to be below 140 as much as possible.

By the way Rhonda, it is a good idea to start each post by either using the red "quote" bar just above, or by using the name of the person you are asking. That way I won't be butting in when you really wanted and answer from someone else :smileywink:

You are off to a good start and we'll all look forward to your recipes.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,394
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

sherry2225 wrote:

Hi Xena,

I am on Glumetz 500 mg 2 times a day.  I have been instructed since December when diagnosed with the hospital and my diabetes doctor to have a 45 carb breakfast a 15 carb snack in between breakfast and lunch then a 45 carb lunch and a 15 carb snack between lunch and dinner and then a 45 carb dinner with a 15 carb snack just before I go to bed. I test fasting when I just wake up and am 110-118ish, my doctor would love to see me at 100 or a bit lower and then I test 2 hours after dinner and my doctor wants me to be 140 or lower and I am usually like 120 or lower each night.  My A1C in December was 6.9 and last check up it was 6.6 as my doctor was thrilled but of course is hoping for better when I see him again in July.  I hope that answers your question of how I handle a 18.50 carb muffin for breakfast.

Wow eating 180 carb grams per day would keep my BG flying high.  I can handle about 50g-100g, mostly up to 75g, this enables me to keep my BG numbers in the non-diabetic range.  As many others, my breakfast is about 10g or I'll spike.

To improve your numbers, try to eat less carbs for breakfast (10g-15g) and maybe 25g-30g for lunch and dinner and have your three snacks par day, test pre and 1 hour post meal to keep track of your numbers.  See if that will reduce your FBG to under 100.  Waiting two hours post meal will often not show you how high it went at your peak time (often 1 hour, though everybody varies).  In the beginning you need to test a lot to find out how your body reacts to different foods, that way you can make adjustments to the quantity and/or combinations.

Another important thing is exercise, it will help to get numbers down right after a meal, test and you will see.

Basically, what I am trying to say is, to meet your goal, you have to make the appropriate adjustments with food and exercise to be successful.  The carb requirements given to you are not set in stone but are a starting point.

Best of luck, it's a lot to take in but will get easier as it becomes second nature.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Zucchini-Carrot Cake

This recipe calls for 1/2 cup vanilla -flavored whey protein powder, I did not want to buy a large portion of this until I decide if I will use it in other recipes( my boys use the chocolate flavored protein powder). So I went to the health food store and just bought a single pouch to make this cake. It is the same stuff that they make protein shakes out of, just be aware that some are higher in carbs than others, the one I bought only had 1 gr carbs per serving.

Ingredients
About 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil ( I used veg oil)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup splenda ( not splenda blend)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup shredded carrot

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a food processor with the S blade in place, use the pulse control to grind the hazelnuts to a mealy consistency.( You want 1 1/2 cups of ground hazelnuts when your done, they seem to grow when you grind them). Set them aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until very well blended. Add the oil, yogurt, splenda, ground hazel nuts, protein powder, baking soda, splenda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mixing well after each addition. ( it is very important that the baking soda be well distibuted through the mixture.) Add the carrots and zucchini last, mixing well.

Thoroughly coat a ring mold or bundt pan with non stick cooking spray, and turn the batter in to it. If you sprayed the pan before you started to mix the ingredients give the pan another shot before adding the batter.

Bake for 45 min and turn out gently onto a wire rack to cool

8 generous servings....eash with 8 gr carbs, 2 gr fiber, 16 gr protein

Cream cheese frosting
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 pkg ( 8 oz ) cream cheese
1/2 cup splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
whip the heavy cream until stiff, in a seperate bowl, beat the cream cheese until very smooth, then beat in the splenda and vanilla. Turn the mixer to it's lowest speed and blend in the whipped cream, then turn off the mixer quick.

Yield 9 servings, each with 3 gr carbs, no fiber, 2 gr protein

Go over to the Eating Right section......lots of good people here post their recipes......can't wait to hear some of yours.

See ya.................................................Big Red..............................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Responder
Sherry2225

Thanks Farida for all your comments.  I really appreciate your advice.  Rhonda