Occasional Responder
Jillette88
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎05-22-2013

Breakfast Quandry

I need help with suggestions for breakfast foods that don't spike me. My fasting BG prior to breakfast today was 129, but one hour after a burrito ( eggs, chicken sausage, cheese, salsa, flour tortilla (@ 26 g carb) ) it spiked to 222; I have not checked the 2 hour mark yet. Homemade whole wheat bran muffin and one scrambled egg and water did the same thing as well as one cup cold cereal, or yogurt and one piece whole wheat toast. The only breakfast combo thy does not spike is scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, 1/2 slice wheat bread and water. I just need other options. What seems to work for you. I take 1,000 mg Metformin with breakfast and I eat within 30 minutes of waking up.
-Jillette
Where ever you go, there you are.
April 15, 2013
A1C 8.8
Avg BG 296
Established Advisor
lynnkb
Total Posts: 360
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Re: Breakfast Quandry

Jillette88 wrote:
I need help with suggestions for breakfast foods that don't spike me. My fasting BG prior to breakfast today was 129, but one hour after a burrito ( eggs, chicken sausage, cheese, salsa, flour tortilla (@ 26 g carb) ) it spiked to 222; I have not checked the 2 hour mark yet. Homemade whole wheat bran muffin and one scrambled egg and water did the same thing as well as one cup cold cereal, or yogurt and one piece whole wheat toast. The only breakfast combo thy does not spike is scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, 1/2 slice wheat bread and water. I just need other options. What seems to work for you. I take 1,000 mg Metformin with breakfast and I eat within 30 minutes of waking up.

I think you know the answer here. Cut out bread and cereal in the morning. I can't handle any carbs in the morning. Have a nice omelette with cheese. Enjoy your sausage. Skip the tortilla or the muffin or the toast. You'll quit missing them soon, because the payoff makes it worth it.

Diagnosed 9/2011, Ha1C 9.6
1/13/2012 - 6.2
9/20/2012 - 5.7
12/26/2012 - 5.1
8/21/2013 - 5.7
9/15/2013 - 5.8
11/18/2013 - 5.6
1/10/2014 - 5.4 (Home test)
2/24/2014 - 5.6

Suspected MODY.
Advisor
Tweeternpi
Total Posts: 87
Registered on: ‎02-19-2013

I have been having the same breakfast everyday (execept on the weekends) of 2 eggs with pepers and onions with sausage in it. It does not spike me. As it has been not dealing with the spikes makes it worth it.

Chad
500mg X1 Metformin and 2.5mg X 1 Lisinopril
A1C 7.8 12/16/13 260lbs
A1C 6.2 4/10/13 232lbs
A1C 5.8 10/18/13 225lbs Trying with out the Meds now.
A1C 6.0 2/27/14 230;bs with out meds!

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,788
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

Jillette88 wrote:

Most of us can not handle the carbs from cereals in the morning. Also items that contain flour, corn, corn syrup, wheat, rice (any type) and some cheeses might cause you to spike at any time of day. Next time you buy yogurt, check the total carb content.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Established Advisor
billb7581
Total Posts: 470
Registered on: ‎11-27-2012

[ Edited ]

Eggs/cheese/meat/veggies is the go to for me.     A lot of people's insulin sensitivity is lowest in the morning and improves as the day goes on.     I love eggs, so it doesnt get old.   Occasionaly a low carb whey shake, or apple slices with peanut butter to switch it up.

Dx 11/25/2012
FBG 265
A1c 10.8
Metformin 1000mg
Walk daily basic compound lifts 2-3 times a week.
A1c 2/7/13 6.3
A1c 8/9/13 5.7

Currently in the 95-120 range fasted
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,988
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Jillette88 wrote:

Is there a rule that you have to have "breakfast" foods for breakfast?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
jimssnell
Total Posts: 592
Registered on: ‎09-11-2012

lynnkb wrote:

Jillette88 wrote:

I think you know the answer here. Cut out bread and cereal in the morning. I can't handle any carbs in the morning. Have a nice omelette with cheese. Enjoy your sausage. Skip the tortilla or the muffin or the toast. You'll quit missing them soon, because the payoff makes it worth it.

Ahmen to that answer. Many posters here make note of carbs at breakfast as a no no. I had horrible dawn effect and found it critical to cut the carbs, grains, flour. Sausages can be bad as there is bread stuffed in em.

In am it takes time as James indicated for body to get back up to speed. I contain breakfast to low glycemic, proteins at 300 calories and restrict carbs tightly. Metformin takes 2.5 hours to get up to speed in blood. Watch out for carbs in the plastic cow and canned cream/milk and even the so called sugar free plastic cow - creamer that has corn sugar solids stuffed in there and left off the list of calories with a small * on the item in list.

Diabetic diet  timing organizing for type 2's is overlooked in many cases and leaves in all the stuff that lifts the BG vertical first thing in am.

James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Hi, Jillette.  I too am one of those who are very sensitive to carbs early in the morning.  I can tolerate a few more carbs later in the day, but a 26 gram flour tortilla, a muffin, a piece of whole wheat toast, or a cup of cereal will spike me any time of day that I eat them, not just in the morning.

For breakfast, I typically have an omelet with bacon or whey protein pancakes (for recipe click here).  I eat the pancakes with Walden Farms pancake syrup, which has zero carbs.  I find that I can tolerate some blueberries in the pancakes, I would suggest first trying them without blueberries, then if that goes OK try 1/4 cup of blueberries, if that is OK try 1/2 cup of blueberries to see how your body reacts.

Is it fair that we have to give up what we are used to eating?  No, it is not fair, but it is what it is.  What we have to do is find things that we like to eat that work for us.  Keep on trying low-carb recipes and ideas until you find ones that work for you and that you enjoy eating.  I don't feel deprived, because I eat things that I like, so I don't miss as much the things that I like that I can't eat anymore.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 544
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

Hi, Jillette!  As some of the others have mentioned, many are supersensitive to carbs in the morning.  Me, not so, it is evening that gets me.  In any event, there are cold cereals and cold cereals.  You would think that Shredded Wheat (nice, whole grain) would be good.  Not so!  It spiked me terribly.  Cheerios, no hurtful spike.  Cocoa Krispies - no spike.  If you really like cereal - get the snack packs that have 4-8 different ones and try them.  See what you meter says.  Maybe you will find "the one" or maybe you will just have to go the protein and no carb route.  You became a scientist at diagnosis - now follow the "method".

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,586
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

Jillette88 wrote:

Begin here: Breakfasts. Once you pick up the trend, add your own ideas.

Here are my basic rules for a good breakfast. NONE of the following foods are breakfast foods:

• Anything made in a bakery.
  • Pasta.
  • Rice.
  • All wheat products.
  • All corn products.
  • All cereals and other processed grains.
  • Starches - especially root vegetables.
  • All sugared drinks - sodas, sport drinks and similar
  • Milk.
  • All juices.
  • Be careful of fruit portion sizes.

Almost everything else with almost no carbs can be breakfast.

Mine this morning was my "Half-English": one beef sausage, one egg, two fried mushroooms, half a tomato, all fried in a little olive oil with a splash of napoli sauce as a ketchup. I didn't check my fasting. My one hour post-breakfast right now is 7.3 (131). The carbs in the tomato and the sausage are probably the reason it is slightly over 7, but I'm happy with that.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)