Occasional Visitor
qcrazy
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-01-2012

Blurry vision after quitting carbs?

Hi New here! 11 days ago I quit carbs because I can't half ass do anything! I had bs of 350's (3 liters coke a day habit)  for a long time, before I commented to no carbs, sugar, grains,caffeine 11 days ago. I immediately dropped 200 points, ive stayed around 140's the last 9 or 10 days. My trouble is my vision is horrible like my reading glasses for the computer is 3.50. I keep saying it will go back to normal but day 11 and it is still not getting noticeably better.  

Here the thing I am scared and not sure what to do, Can the dr help? Will I have to just wait it out? How long is to long to recover vision?

Thanks so much for reading and responding!

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Blurry vision after quitting carbs?

qcrazy wrote:

Hi New here! 11 days ago I quit carbs because I can't half ass do anything! I had bs of 350's (3 liters coke a day habit)  for a long time, before I commented to no carbs, sugar, grains,caffeine 11 days ago. I immediately dropped 200 points, ive stayed around 140's the last 9 or 10 days. My trouble is my vision is horrible like my reading glasses for the computer is 3.50. I keep saying it will go back to normal but day 11 and it is still not getting noticeably better.  

Here the thing I am scared and not sure what to do, Can the dr help? Will I have to just wait it out? How long is to long to recover vision?

Hi Q, welcome.

That's a pretty common problem when you first reduce the numbers so drastically.  Here's more information about it:  click here, and page down to blurred vision.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

qcrazy wrote:

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Your vision is one of the first things to be affected by changes in your general blood glucose levels. It is quite normal to go through a period of blurry vision and it will settle down as you stabilise. In the interim consider buying some cheap "second pair" specs until your vison is normal again. Don't spend money on expensive prescription specs because you prescription may be different when things are normal.

There can be rare cases of a danger to vision when you make sudden and permanent changes to blood glucose levels. For that to occur there usually has to be a history of past retinopathy problems. If that applies to you I suggest you consult your ophthalmologist ASAP and add a few carbs back judiciously to slow down your rate of change.

This may help you find out where and when you can add some carbs back: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,544
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

[ Edited ]

alan_s wrote:

There can be rare cases of a danger to vision when you make sudden and permanent changes to blood glucose levels. For that to occur there usually has to be a history of past retinopathy problems. If that applies to you I suggest you consult your ophthalmologist ASAP and add a few carbs back judiciously to slow down your rate of change.

Just to be clear, however, that possibility has nothing to do with the blurry vision you describe, but has to do with retinopathy, another matter entirely even if it does affect the eyes.
When your glood sugar levels remain stable for a coupel of week or longer, the blurriness will vanish and your vision will return to normal.
You should have your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist to look for the kinds of changes Alan describes, but they could cause vision problem in the future, not right away.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Established Advisor
lynnkb
Total Posts: 360
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

[ Edited ]

I had blurry vision very badly, and then on and off for the first several months after diagnosis and getting things under better control.It's finally gone for good (I hope).

Probably that's what is going on, but definitely go see an opthamalogist! Not just because of the blurry vision, but to reassure you that your eyes are in good shape and to keep them that way going forward.

Diagnosed 9/2011, Ha1C 9.6
1/13/2012 - 6.2
9/20/2012 - 5.7
12/26/2012 - 5.1
8/21/2013 - 5.7
9/15/2013 - 5.8
11/18/2013 - 5.6
1/10/2014 - 5.4 (Home test)
2/24/2014 - 5.6

Suspected MODY.
Established Advisor
dturney
Total Posts: 1,367
Registered on: ‎04-21-2011

High Blood Glucose has a huge effect on the eyes , as well as low Blood Glucose. The latter being the less of the two evils. Continued High Blood Gloose causes the blood vessels  in the eye's to burst and bleeding occurs causing problems with your vision. If you went for a long time with your BG's in the 300 and above range you could have some eye damage causing blurry vision. I would reccomend an eye exam to set my mine at ease..I have some of this bleeding in my left eye and have it checked every 3 months to insure it has not progressed.  Diabetic Retinopathy is nothing to play around with.

TYPE 2 Diagnosed June 1970
MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Metformin 500MG X 3 Before meals.
I am not young enough to know everything!
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,459
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Qcrazy ~ do you normally wear eyeglasses?  You may need a new prescription, due to the drastic change in your blood glucose level.  I went from being nearsighted to being farsighted, when I went from 350 to normal.  Not better or worse -- just completely opposite from what it had been.  So, I couldn't read well for a while!  It was frustrating!  Do you have appointment to see opthalmologist for a complete eye exam?  Sometimes, they're booked up for a while.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Advisor
sweetturk
Total Posts: 338
Registered on: ‎11-29-2010

[ Edited ]

My eyes have done and are doing the same thing - seeing blurry and YES it is related to the change in Blood Sugar levels.

When I was closer to normal earlier in this year, my glasses were a real bother as they did not help me see better and my other glasses of different strengths for computer and needle work and yes cheapies were all at home in the USA - far way from me.

I was set to get my eyes checked when I came home, but the glasses started to "work" again when my sugars went back up high.

Now, again, I am getting under control and my vision is blurry and the glasses are not much help at all.   I am waiting to see if this will clear as time passes or if I will just buy another pair of glasses..I think I am due.....as being diabetic, my eye doc wants me in his chair twice a year.  

Years ago,  my doc told me that if my numbers are high, the shape of the eye changes and for example, my far vision improved to where I saw better driving w/o the glasses.  Something to do with the amount of fluid contained in the eye....

And on another point - I am not a doctor or medical advisor, yet I find your extreme diet very un-natural for a human.  We need nutrients from a variety of foods and cutting out all carbs may hurt you in the long run.  

(Please - to our other No Carb  member - I have listened to your message, and do not agree.)

Hannah T
Gaining Control DM 2 // January 2012 A1C 11 ...new labs end of May A1C 9.2 (or close to that!)
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
DM2: Metformin 2000 mg per day //Novolog 30-20-30 // Lantus 70 Units
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

SweetTurk wrote:

Now, again, I am getting under control and my vision is blurry and the glasses are not much help at all.   I am waiting to see if this will clear as time passes or if I will just buy another pair of glasses..I think I am due.....as being diabetic, my eye doc wants me in his chair twice a year.  

See the eye doc (ophthalmologist), but before you buy prescription specs I suggest you wait a little longer and buy more cheap specs until your BGs are stable and your eyes settle down. After that it is possible your prescription may have changed and expensive specs bought now could be wasted money.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,544
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

SweetTurk wrote:

My eyes have done and are doing the same thing - seeing blurry and YES it is related to the change in Blood Sugar levels.

Years ago,  my doc told me that if my numbers are high, the shape of the eye changes and for example, my far vision improved to where I saw better driving w/o the glasses.  Something to do with the amount of fluid contained in the eye.... 

That is a good explanation of it.  A few years back I copied Molly's post on this:

One of our most articulate members here, Molly, posted this a while back:

One of the unexpected side effects when first getting your blood sugar under control, is that your vision can change.  There is always fluid inside your eye, and even in the lenses in your eyes.  As the blood sugar in the rest of your body drops, the amount of sugar in your eyes stays high.  Instead of the sugar draining out of your eyes, water is pulled in instead by osmosis, to try dilute the sugar concentration.  The extra water is enough to change the shape of your eye, and the shape of the lens, sort of like filling a water balloon, and the change in shape will cause a distortion in your vision.

After a couple of weeks, the extra sugar and water slowly move out of the eyes, and as the pressure within the eyes becomes more normal, vision returns to normal too.  

Unfortunately, doctors too often forget to warn their patients that this can happen, even though it is very distressing to the people who experience it.  It's really unfortunate when someone goes to an optometrist during this time and even the optometrist doesn't pick up the connection.  A person can end up with a new pair of glasses with a prescription that is out of date almost before they get the glasses.

You can expect your vision to return in a couple of weeks, once your blood sugar has remained a new, lower level for a while.  It's not the meds, and it will not last."

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...