Responder
char2006
Total Posts: 29
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Blueberry Shortage

On the old boards in either Type 2 or Eating Right someone wondered about the shortage of blueberries. This article may explain it.

Retailers halt dealings with Mich. fruit grower

Grand Rapids � Wal�Mart , Kroger and Meijer are suspending business with a large southwestern Michigan blueberry grow�er after investigators found children as young as 6 in the grower�s fields. The retailers said Friday they have stopped buying prod�ucts from Adkin Blue Ribbon Blueberry Co.

near South Haven. Adkin general manager Tony Marr says the company enforces a strict written policy that says children cannot work in its fields.

Michigan is the nation�s largest blueberry producer with 110 million pounds harvested last year.

Staff and wire reports Detroit News Oct 31, 2009
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,422
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Blueberry Shortage

How in the world were they getting away with that??!!? Child labor is illegal, and no one noticed small children in the fields?

I miss my blueberries but I'm making up with black berries and raspberries in my cottage cheese every day -- presumably picked by children in another country because they aren't in season here.

Hope one day all fruit is harvested by adults paid a living wage, but I expect that when that day comes, some of this fruit is going to be extremely expensive. Fair enough.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Contributor
morrisolder3
Total Posts: 342

Blueberry Shortage

Here in California, anyway, most of the blackberries and raspberries are coming from Mexico now.

I've also notice avocadoes from Mexico, Ecuador and Chile...

Just a couple of months ago, all from California..

And yes blueberries did jump hugely in price a couple of weeks ago. Have been ki c k i n g myself for not stoc k i n g up and freezing them...
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,422

Blueberry Shortage

Morris Older (11/1/2009)
Here in California, anyway, most of the blackberries and raspberries are coming from Mexico now.

I've also notice avocadoes from Mexico, Ecuador and Chile...

Just a couple of months ago, all from California..

And yes blueberries did jump hugely in price a couple of weeks ago. Have been ki c k i n g myself for not stoc k i n g up and freezing them...

I finally found some fresh blueberries at the Safeway last night! They were from Argentina. I usually notice the steady march of blueberry season across the hemispheres, starting in this one in Mexico and ending in Canada. Not sure about South America yet...where do they go after Argentina?

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Contributor
morrisolder3
Total Posts: 342

Blueberry Shortage

Talvie wrote:I finally found some fresh blueberries at the Safeway last night! They were from Argentina. I usually notice the steady march of blueberry season across the hemispheres, starting in this one in Mexico and ending in Canada. Not sure about South America yet...where do they go after Argentina?

Antarctica?

Or do they go full circle to the North Pole?

Actually those are close to the real answer--the freezer aisle...

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Blueberry Shortage

They did a piece on this on Nightline the other night and that's what caused these companies to take this action. It's all about bad publicity. Where were the government agencies that are supposed to be keeping an eye on this sort of thing? As usual they were asleep at the switch. Wasting the taxpayers money...