Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Blue Agave

[ Edited ]

Good morning from snowy Pittsburgh :smileywink:

My daughter is a buyer for natural & organic food for a large Pgh area grocery store-she gave me a bottle of Organic  Blue Agave, "made with agave nectar from the weber azul". The label states "A low glycemic organic sweetener". The label also states it is "25% sweeter than sugar, and can be used in beverages,  baking and as a multipurpose sweetener"

I know I will need to test this on myself with my meter, but was wondering if any of you have tried it, and if so, your thoughts?

Thanks!

PS serving size is 1 TBS, carbs is 16g

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,323
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: Blue Agave

I'd love to know as well.  I can't stand the aftertaste of most foods/beverages sweetend with artificial sweeteners and it would be great to be able to use a regular sweetener once in a while. 

Farida

Super Advisor
Jpg391
Total Posts: 5,384
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

suesmith wrote:

My daughter is a buyer for natural & organic food for a large Pgh area grocery store-she gave me a bottle of Organic  Blue Agave, "made with agave nectar from the weber azul". The label states "A low glycemic organic sweetener". The label also states it is "25% sweeter than sugar, and can be used in beverages,  baking and as a multipurpose sweetener"

I know I will need to test this on myself with my meter, but was wondering if any of you have tried it, and if so, your thoughts?

Thanks!

Read this before you use it. It states that Blue Agave Nectar is low-glycemic index becouse of its high Frutcose containt. Here is what the doctor who wrote the article that appeared in the Huffington Post awhile back had to say about it.

Agave nectar has a low-glycemic index for one reason only: it's largely made of fructose, which although it has a low-glycemic index, is probably the single most damaging form of sugar when used as a sweetener. With the exception of pure liquid fructose, agave nectar has the highest fructose content of any commercial sweetener.

You can read the rest of the article by clicking the link below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/debunking-the-blue-agave_b_450144.html

You can also do a search on this site (ADA) to see all the posts about this. Just type Blue Agave and see what other think about it.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,833
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,929
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

suesmith wrote:

Thanks!

Boy this stuff has a super media blitz going on, you really have to know how to search to get the real data or anything not saying "how wonderful" it is.

In addition to the Huffington link here's another:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

You'll have to form your own conclusions.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
suesmith

lizzylou wrote:

suesmith wrote:

Thanks!

Boy this stuff has a super media blitz going on, you really have to know how to search to get the real data or anything not saying "how wonderful" it is.

In addition to the Huffington link here's another:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

You'll have to form your own conclusions.

Lizzy

Lizzy,

Thanks so much for those links-I guess like everything in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is :smileymad:

LOL, loved this quote from one of the articles

"Agave nectar syrup is a triumph of marketing over science. True, it has a low-glycemic index, but so does gasoline -- that doesn't mean it's good for you."

Thanks again!

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

suesmith wrote:
Lizzy,

Thanks so much for those links-I guess like everything in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is :smileymad:

LOL, loved this quote from one of the articles

"Agave nectar syrup is a triumph of marketing over science. True, it has a low-glycemic index, but so does gasoline -- that doesn't mean it's good for you."

Thanks again!

Hilarious!  We DO have to be careful and not believe the hype huh?!

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,045
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Gasoline tastes pretty bad also :smileyvery-happy:

Super Advisor
suesmith

[ Edited ]