Long Lost Member
rmnilsen@mchsi.com
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-18-2010

Blood sugar drops after eating...

I am looking for information on why my bloodsugar was 143 before I ate and then after I ate 3 pieces of pizza it was an 85. Shouldn't it go up and not down or am I missing something?
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,725
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

When did you check after eating that pizza?

I ask because pizza combines carbs, protein and fat, depending on the toppings, Thin crust will have fewer carbs than thick crust, so 3 pieces could be about 45 grams of carbs, about what might be recommended by a dietitian for one of you meals. Bigger pieces, thicker crust, obviously would mean more carbs.

But the key is that the other elements of the pizza delay the increase in blood sugar and spread it out over a longer period. So much so that a delayed, prolonged but perhaps not so severe spike is even nicknamed the "pizza effect."

Now why it actually went down in your case probably wasn't too related to the pizza itself. Perhaps you had exercised earlier in the day, or hadn't eaten in a long time and your blood sugar was already dropping before you ate. In that case it might have kept dropping until the pizza, hours later, b=egan to affect your blood sugar. Think of a pead at 3-6 hours instead of 1-2 hours after eating...

Which gets back to, when did you test?
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Regular Visitor
packgreg
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎01-24-2010

This is what happens with me. In my case, however, I'm pretty sure its related to the fact that I take my medication with my meal. I'm on Metformin, Byetta and Glimepride. Byetta slows down digestion and controls insulin release and the Glimepiride drops my BG like a stone, sometimes even going low.

Could this be a similar case with you?

I also agree with Morris, earlier exercise plus a little time to cool down will have a positive effect in lowering your BG.

The best way to be sure what's affecting your BG is to test in pairs, before and 2 hours after you start your meal. Do it consistently to see what effect everything has on your BG.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Greg
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,436
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Mary Nilsen (2/6/2010)
I am looking for information on why my bloodsugar was 143 before I ate and then after I ate 3 pieces of pizza it was an 85. Shouldn't it go up and not down or am I missing something?

So much depends on when you tested and that's a key bit of information we don't have here.

In my case, if I eat pizza, my numbers at one hour can be under 100 easily, because of pizza effect. At three hours, it jumps substantially. I tend to eat only one full piece of pizza and the toppings off two others -- thin crust only. If I ate three full pieces of pizza, I'd still be under 100 at one hour, but at three hours, I could be at 200+. Then, because I can have a really strong insulin response to such high numbers, I drop waaaay down, and could be at 65 at four or five hours.

So, to repeat: when did you test? What were you doing just before eating the pizza and just after?

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,534
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi, and welcome, Mary! Just wondering -- how did your blood sugar turn out this morning? Did it go back up or did it stay down?
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
jdrnavy
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-22-2013

Re: Blood sugar drops after eating...

That seems to happen to me also. I will eat rice or other high GI foods.  Then I feel a sugar rush and will check my sugars and they will be 80-90.  3-4 hours later and not consuming any more food I will be 140-150.  If I eat high carb meals in the evening the next day it seems like it is a challenge to get my blood sugar into the 90s.  I normally consume protein and veggies.  I do cheat and will have chips or a flour tortilla with my meal then that is when it will be a struggle later.  I currently am not on any meds and was diagnosed as pre-diabetic about 10 months ago. –Is this normal?

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

jdrnavy wrote:

That seems to happen to me also. I will eat rice or other high GI foods.  Then I feel a sugar rush and will check my sugars and they will be 80-90.  3-4 hours later and not consuming any more food I will be 140-150.  If I eat high carb meals in the evening the next day it seems like it is a challenge to get my blood sugar into the 90s.  I normally consume protein and veggies.  I do cheat and will have chips or a flour tortilla with my meal then that is when it will be a struggle later.  I currently am not on any meds and was diagnosed as pre-diabetic about 10 months ago. –Is this normal?

Hi, jdrnavy.  Welcome to this forum.  Diabetes is a very individualistic disease.  We can have very different reactions to the same imputs.  I suspect that not a lot of us have your reactions - I know I don't - but it is important to us to find out how our bodies react, and our meters are our best tool for that.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,822
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

jdrnavy wrote:

Hi and welcome to the community jdrnavy.  We are all different, but when I first started out I found that eating higher carbs always led to a struggle the next day with trying to get them under control again.  The combination of foods can make a difference as well.  Go here to help you learn more about testing and finding your peak rise  http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/03/14/testing-101/.  Testing pre-meal and PP are both important.  Many of us strive not to have more than a 30-40 point peak rise.  In other words, if my bg is 80 before a meal I do not want it to go over 110 PP at my one hour peak.  Have you had a recent A1c?  Your readings are letting you know that you need to mark some of those foods off your list or have them as an occasional splurge.  Join us at the Eating Right With Diabetes forum for some great low-carb recipes......http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes/bd-p/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes.

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
12/10/2014 - A1c 5.4
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
12/10/2014 - 144
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
Blood Pressure 12/10/2014 - 105/72
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my deceased husband, and my ex husband

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,149
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Hi mnilsen,

I occasionally experience the same thing and here is what I think may be going on.  I do believe that if I don't eat when my body is looking for carbs my liver will start releasing glucose which in turn raises our BG due to an impaired insulin response.  So when I throw more carbs in the mix by eating, the increased carb load triggers even more of an insulin output and my BG will drop after eating.  I believe it is a sign that I should have had a 10-15 carb snack an hour or so before that meal.  I must have some natural insulin production still gong on although the timing is not as it should be.

Tom    

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4