Responder
jalto2
Total Posts: 20
Registered on: ‎07-04-2010

Black toenails

When I had my pedicure earlier this week, the polish on my toes was removed, and to my suprise the toenalis on my big toes are turning black on the inside edge next to the roots. I can feel my feet just fine, have no parasthesias, and have good pulses. the major issue that i have is my feet and ankles swell a lot, especially at end of day. I just got back from New York City where I walked and walked and had an awesome time. Any thoughts on why my toenails are turning black? i was diagnosed with Type II in 2006 and take Metformin and other blood pressure and cholesterol medications. My BGs stay between about 100 and 180. This morning my FBG was 139, which is high for me, and was unexpected. My last A1C with the NOW kit was 6.5, up from 6.1. :catsurprised:

Thanks. Jean

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Black toenails

I don't have any certainty, but a couple of scary possibilities did spring to mind.  I would consider this serious enough to get a professional medical opinion on it pronto.  If you have a podiatrist, I would suggest calling and telling them you have a foot problem, reminding the scheduler that you are diabetic, and asking if they could work you in quickly - today if possible.  If you don't have a podiatrist, I would call the doctor who manages your diabetes and try to get into see them.  It may be nothing, but it could be a very serious problem, and I wouldn't want to spend the holiday weekend worrying about it.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,732
Topics: 75
High Fives: 967
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

I don't really think you should be relying on advice from non-professionals like us based on only a description and not even a picture, so I think it would make sense to at least talk to a doctor. 

With that said, it's possible that the black color is a small pool of old blood under the nail, not in the nail itself, and that it came from all the walking in New York, in shoes that were a little too snug around the toe area.  It's the sort of thing that can happen to athletes who wear special shoes while training.  It would be nothing more than a blood blister, enclosed under the nail, and it will gradually grow out as the nail grows or a new nail grows under the current one.  It might be a good idea to get some walking shoes that are a little boxier or roomier in the toe area.

Please consider, though, that I am telling you this only to point out that it might be something not at all serious and might not require treatment.  It would still be better to confer with a doctor.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Established Advisor
blakflag1
Total Posts: 404
Registered on: ‎07-17-2012

jalto2 wrote:

When I had my pedicure earlier this week, the polish on my toes was removed, and to my suprise the toenalis on my big toes are turning black on the inside edge next to the roots. I can feel my feet just fine, have no parasthesias, and have good pulses. the major issue that i have is my feet and ankles swell a lot, especially at end of day. I just got back from New York City where I walked and walked and had an awesome time. Any thoughts on why my toenails are turning black? i was diagnosed with Type II in 2006 and take Metformin and other blood pressure and cholesterol medications. My BGs stay between about 100 and 180. This morning my FBG was 139, which is high for me, and was unexpected. My last A1C with the NOW kit was 6.5, up from 6.1. :catsurprised:

Thanks. Jean

I agree with Molly and George. See a doctor as quickly as you can. Why it would be just the 2 big toes, I haven't a clue, but anything unusual like this on your feet is cause for concern. We've all banged toes and fingers and had blue/black blood under the nails, but this doesn't sound like that, to me anyway. Hope this ends up being nothing.  blakflag

blakflag1 Rural Tennessee
3/28/12 A1c 8.9
6/22/12 A1c 6.7
10/22/12 A1c 5.2
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,442
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jalto2 wrote:

Thanks. Jean

The time has come to make an appointment with your podiatrist. Don't delay too long after Christmas.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 832
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

jalto2 wrote:

Thanks. Jean

Some studies indicate diabetic complications begin at bgs of 140 and above. Foot swelling restricts blood flow. While dark nail beds can be a sign of something innocent such as a Pseudomonas infection a visit to a podiatrist can rule out possibilities of greater consequence.