Established Contributor
rocketbob
Total Posts: 268
Registered on: ‎10-17-2011

Big toe.

Finally went to the foot doc about the numbness in my big toe and for a diabetic foot exam. Turns out my feet are fine and the numbness should go away once I get better control of my blood sugar and make sure I wear proper foot wear.Were it not for the diabetes I probally would not of went to the doc but with all the horror stories of lost toes and such it well worth it if only for the peace of mind.... so cooling my jets on the launch pad to recovery and remembering getting to the moon happens in stages....Rocketbob.

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Big toe.

Happy to hear it isn't anything serious.  I had problems in my feet & legs when first diagnosed but it pretty much cleared up since I have gained control of my BG.  I might feel the "bad sunburn" sensation occasionally but it's usually only after a BG spike.

Tom

Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

RocketBob, glad to hear you have no problems with that toe.

A good reminder to all of us to keep vigilant about foot care and check with our doctors as soon as we think there is a problem.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
getittogether
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-05-2012

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and cant wait to share and hear more about what I have!

I've been experiecing toe numbness for 2wks now and finally have an apt next week to see whats going on. I read up on neuropothy so I'm hoping it's not that. What are other signs that I should look for...

Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,137
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

[ Edited ]

Rocketbob, before insulin I had a awfully numb right foot.  Little toes, side of right leg.  I thought it was from a back injury I had this last June.  Turns out it was the wacky blood sugar from all the steroids I was on for 3 weeks. Now on insulin and my BG is in control.  Also I used solarcaine spray, and liquid for the skin pain. And lidocaine patches when  it was awful.  Haven't needed the pain relief for about a week.  So healing does happen.

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 10 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,456
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

rocketbob wrote:

Finally went to the foot doc about the numbness in my big toe and for a diabetic foot exam. Turns out my feet are fine and the numbness should go away once I get better control of my blood sugar and make sure I wear proper foot wear.Were it not for the diabetes I probally would not of went to the doc but with all the horror stories of lost toes and such it well worth it if only for the peace of mind.... so cooling my jets on the launch pad to recovery and remembering getting to the moon happens in stages....Rocketbob.

Hey, rocketbob,

This kind of thing was my biggest fear when I was diagnosed because I had two diabetic uncles who lost their legs to diabetes. I used that fear to motivate myself to eat well, exercise, etc. Not that it was a conscious decision, but I know it was mainly that fear that motivated me. That and the 1,001 symptoms that I had when diagnosed.

Hope you also can use your experience as incentive to take care of yourself. Keep us posted!

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years