Responder
kelley1978
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎10-12-2011

Bedtime snack ideas?

So I've been reading that it's a good idea to have a snack before you go to sleep to make sure you avoid dropping bg while you sleep. Last night before bed my bg was 119, I ate about half a bag of popcorn and a small handful of mixed nuts ( I had read to have protien and cards) I don't think this was a good choice because when I woke up y bg was 151??? Any ideas on a good before bed snack that will keep my numbers normal? Thanks everyone :smileyhappy:

Type 2, diagnosed 10/18/11 A1c 7.9
Diet/exercise, carb counting, Metformin 500mg 2x daily
valium 10mg 4x daily, remeron 30mg daily (ptsd, panic, anxiety, agoraphobia)
norco as needed, loratadine, ibuprophen 800mg

Gods will, will not lead you, where his grace cannot keep you.
Occasional Responder
txgolfer45
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎10-21-2011

Re: Bedtime snack ideas?

the popcorn was a  bad choice.  the mixed nuts were fine.  You might also try string cheese. 

mollythed
Total Posts: 6,006
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,099
Solutions: 117
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

...or maybe just a cup of popcorn.  Keep experimenting and you'll get it eventually. 

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
mbkjad
Total Posts: 183
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

I usually do some type of whole wheat crackers (usually about 15 carbs worth) and a couple of slices of cheese (sometimes peanut butter).  Gets a little old after a while but I get a consistent response from it.  Bottom line try a couple of different things and user your meter and it will let you know what works for you.

Love the popcorn but it is a killer to by numbers but sometimes I just have to do it.  Those days I try to do it earlier and then walk it off.

Mike

Mike

Diagnosed Type 2 March 2008 (give or take a few months)
A1c: 6.4 (May 2013), 6.2 (Feb 2013), 5.9 (Nov 2012), 5.7 (Aug 2012) 6.5 (31 Jan 2012)
Meds:
Metformin XR 2000 mg daily
Lovaza 2 grams daily
Lipitor 10 mg daily
Fenofibrate 165 mg daily
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Novolog
Zyrtec
Multivitamin
Began Pumping in June 2013
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Kelley, you might try home popped pop corn. I use an air popper so that my pop corn is about 5grams of carbohydrate per cup. With commercially bought pop corn there is often added sugar. Read the label.

I do add butter and salt and usually eat about 2 cups in an evening snack. That would be about 10 grams of carb and it hardly affects my blood glucose at all.

For an actual bedtime snack I choose a fairly low carb yogurt that although low fat also has some protein. Nuts seem a rather heavy, fatty type of food to go to sleep on.

But we all differ and you need to find out what works for you.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
forummoderator1
Total Posts: 206
Topics: 42
High Fives: 51
Solutions: 6
Registered on: ‎11-19-2009

This message was moved either due to inappropriate content, solicitation, or the fact that it was meant for another forum. Thank you, The Moderation Team

Frequent Responder
dance4fitness
Total Posts: 201
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

If I feel I need a snack at bedtime, I usually have yogurt,  or 3 graham cracker squares and 1/2 cup 1% milk,  or rye crackers with hummus, light cheese or lower-sodium turkey,  or graham crackers and peanut butter, or just a few almonds.

Verna