Frequent Advisor
wlathe
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎02-06-2012
Helpful Response

Back pain and BG. (Sorry, message crazy today. )

Ok, I've checked and this is weird.

before I was first diagnosed I had a lower left-back pain. It was searing, sharp pain that made it difficult to sit or lie down. It wasn't spinal or muscular. Hurt like crazy. I was on a business trip, so i thought I'd just wait to get home to go to the doctor. Then it went away. Immediately after (like that day), my diabetic symptoms came like gangbusters... first thirst and urination, then fatigue and blurry vision and 10lbs of weight loss in a week. Test: fbg 386, a1c: 11.2, after meal bg: 590something.

Diagnosis: diabetes

Two doctors and the nurse from the diabetic clinic both think the back pain was a coincidence. An A1c of 11.2 (and that it was 6.2 2 years ago and i'm overweight.. mainly in the middle and I'm an over-50 male), was pretty clear that I'm diabetic. I'm not denying that. I'm diabetic, I'm learning to live with that.

But, in the last 2 months I've had the same back pain, same place. 3 times. Unlike that first time, these lasted only a minute or  so, but they hurt so much as to make me double over and stop walking and grunt (yell once) in pain. Then they went away completely. I was just checking my BG numbers. EVERY time I've had that pain (each time was while walking after a meal), my BG were higher than my new normal. Almost every time after a meal and a walk my numbers will now be under 120. Each time I had this pain my numbers would be over 140, once 150 or so. Only one other time had it been that high without the pain (when I had some ice cream).

It's probably a big coincidence and I'll have the doctor check it out. And even if there is something that causes the pain that spikes my BG, I know I have diabetes. But what causes pain like that in that area of the body that could spike BG?

Jan 1, 2012: weight 262lbs, started WW
Jan 15: symptoms begin, extreme thirst, fatigue, blurry vision, weight loss
Jan 31: T2 diabetes diagnosis. weight 242lbs, 160/123 (bp). 11.2 (a1c), 387 (fbg), 596 (ppbg). start on 500mg Metformin 1x/day, 1/2 5mg tablet glipizide 2x/day (2 meds for hypertension)
March 7: Weight 230, 7.8 (a1c), 111/68 (bp), 102 (fbg), 96 (ppbg), metformin 1500mg 1x/day, 1 statin for cholesterol). 6 meals/day, 25g carb/meal, walk >20min 3x day, swim >30min 3x/week.
I'm keeping track on a spreadsheet here.
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,078
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Back pain and BG. (Sorry, message crazy today. )

Just the stress response to the pain by itself could raise BG. No other conection required.

Advisor
newdiabetic
Total Posts: 275
Registered on: ‎11-06-2011

Is the pain in the area of your kidney?  I had a kidney infection once and it hurt in my lower back. Did the doctor do a urine culture or a kidney test?

Advisor
TrevaC
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎11-17-2011

Wlathe wrote:

Ok, I've checked and this is weird.

before I was first diagnosed I had a lower left-back pain. It was searing, sharp pain that made it difficult to sit or lie down. It wasn't spinal or muscular. Hurt like crazy. I was on a business trip, so i thought I'd just wait to get home to go to the doctor. Then it went away. Immediately after (like that day), my diabetic symptoms came like gangbusters... first thirst and urination, then fatigue and blurry vision and 10lbs of weight loss in a week. Test: fbg 386, a1c: 11.2, after meal bg: 590something.

Diagnosis: diabetes

Two doctors and the nurse from the diabetic clinic both think the back pain was a coincidence. An A1c of 11.2 (and that it was 6.2 2 years ago and i'm overweight.. mainly in the middle and I'm an over-50 male), was pretty clear that I'm diabetic. I'm not denying that. I'm diabetic, I'm learning to live with that.

But, in the last 2 months I've had the same back pain, same place. 3 times. Unlike that first time, these lasted only a minute or  so, but they hurt so much as to make me double over and stop walking and grunt (yell once) in pain. Then they went away completely. I was just checking my BG numbers. EVERY time I've had that pain (each time was while walking after a meal), my BG were higher than my new normal. Almost every time after a meal and a walk my numbers will now be under 120. Each time I had this pain my numbers would be over 140, once 150 or so. Only one other time had it been that high without the pain (when I had some ice cream).

It's probably a big coincidence and I'll have the doctor check it out. And even if there is something that causes the pain that spikes my BG, I know I have diabetes. But what causes pain like that in that area of the body that could spike BG?

My first thought was kidney stone.  It's not quite the typical response to kidney stones, as usually the pain doesn't go away until the stone is passed.  However, as a person who has had at least 25 kidney stones so far in my life, I can tell you that it is possible.  Normally kidney stones cause excruiciating pain that makes you walk the floor, can't get any relief by sitting or laying down, and quite often includes nausea/vomiting.  This can go on for hours and even days, but usually within a few hours, you would find yourself in the ER.  With that said, though, sometimes I get what I call a "twinge"...just a minute or two of quick sharp pain and then it goes away.  A few times, I have passed a stone with nothing more than this twinge.  I've also had this type of pain when a stone was still lodged in the kidney, possibly only blocking the ureter (tube) momentarily before moving away again (and easing the pain). 

Have you ever had kidney stones or had x-rays/scans to see if you have one?  If not, I would definetely ask my doctor about this possibility and get a referral to a good urologist.  My definition of a good urologist includes having had the experience of having a kidney stone in his/her own life.  Believe me, it makes a difference!

As for the bg spike, I agree that it was probably just a result of the stress caused by the pain you experienced.  Stress can work havoc on our bg.

Treva
Diagnosed 11/1/11 - T2 - A1c 6.5
3/22/12 - A1c 6.2, lost 20 lbs. with low carb diet & exercise

Bystolic 20mg ~ Lisinopril 40mg ~ Furosemide 20mg for Hypertension
Singulair 10mg ~ Albuterol Inhaler ~ Zyrtec 10mg for Asthma & Allergies
Savella 100mg twice daily ~ Meloxicam 15mg for Fibromyalgia
Levothyroxine 0.5mg for Hypothyroidism
Potassium Citrate 10meq twice daily & Low Oxalate Diet for Kidney Stones
Omeprazole 40mg for GERD
Aspirin 81mg for Cardiovascular Maintenance
Bi-Pap for Sleep Apnea

Live honestly, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly & leave the rest to God.