Responder
amcyki
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-17-2013

Re: Atkins Diet and Diabetes

I'm on a low carb, mostly whole foods diet. I eat fruit about two to three times a day and whole grains about two to three times a day. I like to eat black beans, nuts, chicken, and fish. I also love making healthy soups (with legumes and veggies) and salads, and I love roasted veggies.

I have been exercising for about 30-60 minutes about 5-6 times a week for three weeks and I weigh in my normal weight range. I'm completely off the meds with awesome blood sugar readings.

Last year I exercised about this much for over half the year until I feel into a depression and found out I had diabetes.

Amcy

PS, I'm new here too!

Amcy
I'm in my early 30s with a healthy weight
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,792
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

amcyki wrote:

I'm on a low carb, mostly whole foods diet. I eat fruit about two to three times a day and whole grains about two to three times a day. I like to eat black beans, nuts, chicken, and fish. I also love making healthy soups (with legumes and veggies) and salads, and I love roasted veggies.

I have been exercising for about 30-60 minutes about 5-6 times a week for three weeks and I weigh in my normal weight range. I'm completely off the meds with awesome blood sugar readings.

Last year I exercised about this much for over half the year until I feel into a depression and found out I had diabetes.

Amcy

PS, I'm new here too!

Hey, Amcy,

Welcome to the forum! Your post caught my eye 'cause you say you're following a low carb diet and then mention several foods. I think the idea is that those foods are good sources of protein...I just wanted to point out that black beans are high in carbs, so they need to be counted in terms of carbs regardless of the protein question. I"m not sure about legumes, but most beans are high in carbs--all of them except green beans, I believe.

Glad to hear things are going so well with you regarding your diabetes management! Hope to see more posts from you, and maybe you'll share some details about how you've achieved awesome BG readings...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,598
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

alan_s wrote:

Atkins is low-carb, so it does fit well with T2 diabetes.  Some doctors hate it because it can be hard on the kidneys.

That statement needs support with cites or references please. Actually, both statements; that some doctors hate it and that it can be hard on the kidneys.

As I understand it kidney problems are only a factor with increased protein if there is already kidney disease prior to commencing the diet.

When first diagnosed, I had several medical folks warn against Atkins.  As I alluded, it isn't like folks are dropping dead from the diet but more that it puts a strain on the kidneys and that's not good for anyone, esp. those with D.

The problem, as I've been given to understand, is not so much the maintenance diet, it's the part at the beginning of the diet where Atkins has you eating nearly no carbs in order to lose weight.

As someone else pointed out (in a way), Atkins is a DIET.   It's intended as a weight-losing event, and THEN it goes into some sort of maintenance.  For T2, you really need a lifestyle.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

[ Edited ]

alan_s wrote:
<snip>  As I understand it kidney problems are only a factor with increased protein if there is already kidney disease prior to commencing the diet.

Hi, Alan.  This is my understanding also, with one small addition - that the Atkins diet won't prevent someone who would otherwise develop kidney problems from getting them, so we should get a kidney function check annually to make sure we are not beginning to develop problems.  It is possible to develop kidney problems while on the Atkins diet, not caused by the Atkins diet, just as it is possible to develop those problems when not on the Atkins diet.  There is some concern that if kidney problems develop, they could become more severe more quickly if on the Atkins diet, and I would encourage anyone who is in early stage kidney disease to follow an appropriate diet for that condition.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

realtxjack wrote:

The problem, as I've been given to understand, is not so much the maintenance diet, it's the part at the beginning of the diet where Atkins has you eating nearly no carbs in order to lose weight.

The real problem is that it is an assumption made by many doctors, rather than a fact.

No human studies have been performed on the damage, if any, caused by the Atkins diet induction phase or any phase as far as I am aware. If anyone has urls to studies I would be interested in reading them.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,544
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

alan_s wrote:

Atkins is low-carb, so it does fit well with T2 diabetes.  Some doctors hate it because it can be hard on the kidneys.

That statement needs support with cites or references please. Actually, both statements; that some doctors hate it and that it can be hard on the kidneys.

As I understand it kidney problems are only a factor with increased protein if there is already kidney disease prior to commencing the diet.

It is pretty well known that a high protein diet is not recommended for people with kidney disease.  As Atkins tends to be a high protein diet, people with diabetes adopting it should have their kidney function tested.

From what I have read and been told by doctors, a low protein diet is not necessary beyond what is usually recommended for the general population--about .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So for someone weighing 165 pounds, with kidney disease it would be smart to keep protein to a max of 60 grams per day, and that proably is not an Atkins diet, but a balance of protein and low enough carbs to manage blood glucose levels, which are also a factor for kidney disease...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
anniebugg
Total Posts: 40
Registered on: ‎01-23-2013

In my opinion the Atkins diet is not good for anyone. It is a high protein/low carb/high fat diet, at least until you move into the maintenaince end of it and that's months off, sometimes longer depending on the individual. I did it for 7 months and lost 40 pounds in 2 months. This was in my pre diabetes days. That's too much weight loss, too fast but I didn't care, I was looking good. At least that's how I thought then. Within a year I was hospitalized for pancreatitis, a blockage that stopped that organ from functioning. I spent a month in the hospital with a PIC line that didn't come out for 5 months. They just had to drill a little hole to let that build up move on through. Why that happened is anyone's guess but they seemed to think it was caused from a gall stone even though I'd previously had my gall bladder removed. No one blamed Alkins. But who knows? Five years ago I was diagnosed with a fatty liver and counseled to avoid high fat foods and to lose weight. As you might have guessed, I had gained back that 40 pounds lost on Atkins, and then some. Then I found out I was diabetic. How much of a role Atkins played in all of this is only speculation but I believe it played a factor. Atkins is not good for anyone. Balance and learning how your own body responds to what you put in it is the key to health.

Diagosed July 2011 Metformin 500 mg 2x day
A1c 7.2; Weight 192
December 2013; A1c 5.8; Weight 136
July 2014; A1c 5.7; Weight 150
Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 963
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

morrisolder wrote:

alan_s wrote:

It is pretty well known that a high protein diet is not recommended for people with kidney disease.  As Atkins tends to be a high protein diet, people with diabetes adopting it should have their kidney function tested.

From what I have read and been told by doctors, a low protein diet is not necessary beyond what is usually recommended for the general population--about .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. So for someone weighing 165 pounds, with kidney disease it would be smart to keep protein to a max of 60 grams per day, and that proably is not an Atkins diet, but a balance of protein and low enough carbs to manage blood glucose levels, which are also a factor for kidney disease...

And, it's my understanding that people with type 2 diabetes should have kidney function tested yearly.  Sorry, I don't have links, but it was the ADA and the American Kidney Foundation that was quoted.

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Long Lost Member
bleroy46636274
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-02-2013

I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic.

I have been looking into the Low Carbohydrate HIgh Fat LCHF diet.

I started with http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf then discovered the Atkins Diet.

I am now reading Atkins Diabetic Revolution http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diabetes-Revolution-Groundbreaking-Controlling/dp/0060540087 and highly recomend it if you are considering Atkins.

I do believe that diet and exercise are the keys.

Bruce

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

bleroy46636274 wrote:

I am a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic.

I have been looking into the Low Carbohydrate HIgh Fat LCHF diet.

I started with http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf then discovered the Atkins Diet.

I am now reading Atkins Diabetic Revolution http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diabetes-Revolution-Groundbreaking-Controlling/dp/0060540087 and highly recomend it if you are considering Atkins.

I do believe that diet and exercise are the keys.

Bruce

G'day Bruce,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that diet and exercise is the basis for all type 2 management. Here is a little further reading for you: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)