Responder
shariandkeith
Total Posts: 48
Registered on: ‎12-25-2013

Article: Pasta okay for type 2 diabetics

I receive morning emails from Everyday Health containing info for Type 2 diabetics and this morning the title was "Seven easy lunches for type 2 diabetes" (http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/seven-lunch-ideas-for-diabetes.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_Every...). 

Most of these are okay but one suggestion was "PASTA - As long as you choose whole-grain pasta, you can eat all types of noodles, such as penne, angel hair, or spaghetti. Top it with a healthy tomato sauce".  Bizarre as pasta has sooooooo many carbs.  Even 2 oz of pasta is over the carb limit for diabetics. 

The other surprise was "PIZZA - Pizza can be a good choice — in moderation. Choose a thin-crust variety, ask for light cheese, and include vegetables as the topping instead of fatty meats like pepperoni.".  I know pizza in extreme moderation is okay but I am so surprised this info is coming from an article written for type 2 diabetics. 

Shari

Shari: dx pre-diabetes on 04/25/13
A1c of 6.1.....fasting glucose of 112
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,217
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Re: Article: Pasta okay for type 2 diabetics

shariandkeith wrote:

I receive morning emails from Everyday Health containing info for Type 2 diabetics and this morning the title was "Seven easy lunches for type 2 diabetes" (http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/seven-lunch-ideas-for-diabetes.aspx?pos=1&xid=nl_Every...). 

Most of these are okay but one suggestion was "PASTA - As long as you choose whole-grain pasta, you can eat all types of noodles, such as penne, angel hair, or spaghetti. Top it with a healthy tomato sauce".  Bizarre as pasta has sooooooo many carbs.  Even 2 oz of pasta is over the carb limit for diabetics. 

The other surprise was "PIZZA - Pizza can be a good choice — in moderation. Choose a thin-crust variety, ask for light cheese, and include vegetables as the topping instead of fatty meats like pepperoni.".  I know pizza in extreme moderation is okay but I am so surprised this info is coming from an article written for type 2 diabetics. 

Did you read the comments at the end of the article?  LOL...most don't agree with the choices for lunch.  The main thing is to find what works for you.  I know I cannot eat grains, so I avoid them, someone else might be able to eat grains....we are all different.  Across the board recommendations for a diabetic meal plan just does not work for all.  You will find these types of recommendations all over the place.  Let your meter guide you to establishing your meal plan....it will let you know in a hurry about what you can eat and not eat. 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Super Advisor
churndash
Total Posts: 1,277
Registered on: ‎11-07-2013

When I eat pasta I usually end up in trouble.  Many diabetic food "experts" seem clueless.....................

Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,552
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

I've not had too many problems from pasta - as long as the amount was reasonable.  (Reasonable = small)  When I eat it at home, it's either Dreamfields (lots of fiber) or quinoa (just tried and it's not bad).  Rice, on the other hand, is like eating sugar out of a bowl.  I think this is one of those "YMMV" things.

I think it also depends a lot on the entire meal.  In other words, if all you are eating is pasta, you can probably expect a BG spike.  If it's just part of a meal - say with a salad and some meat and veggies - then the problem isn't so bad.

I can't tell you how many dietary articles or recipes I've seen that call for eating "whole grains" and avoiding fats at all costs.  I understand the logic for non-Ds, but when it's specifically titled for people with T2, I just want to grab the author and say, "What were you thinking?!?"

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,217
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

realtxjack wrote:

I've not had too many problems from pasta - as long as the amount was reasonable.  (Reasonable = small)  When I eat it at home, it's either Dreamfields (lots of fiber) or quinoa (just tried and it's not bad).  Rice, on the other hand, is like eating sugar out of a bowl.  I think this is one of those "YMMV" things.

I think it also depends a lot on the entire meal.  In other words, if all you are eating is pasta, you can probably expect a BG spike.  If it's just part of a meal - say with a salad and some meat and veggies - then the problem isn't so bad.

I can't tell you how many dietary articles or recipes I've seen that call for eating "whole grains" and avoiding fats at all costs.  I understand the logic for non-Ds, but when it's specifically titled for people with T2, I just want to grab the author and say, "What were you thinking?!?"

The Dreamfields did not work for me and bg stayed high for hours after.  I undercooked as suggested by others....oh well.  I now use spaghetti squash instead of pasta...it even makes great mac and cheese.  My husband thought it was angel hair pasta the first time I served it with meat sauce.  I look for alternatives that work for me....so far so good!

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Responder
shariandkeith
Total Posts: 48
Registered on: ‎12-25-2013

marty1955 wrote:

realtxjack wrote:

The Dreamfields did not work for me and bg stayed high for hours after.  I undercooked as suggested by others....oh well.  I now use spaghetti squash instead of pasta...it even makes great mac and cheese.  My husband thought it was angel hair pasta the first time I served it with meat sauce.  I look for alternatives that work for me....so far so good!

Is spaghetti squash the same consistency as spaghetti?  Evidently it takes just like spaghetti?

Shari

Shari: dx pre-diabetes on 04/25/13
A1c of 6.1.....fasting glucose of 112
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,521
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

[ Edited ]

I eat pasta without any problem.

It helps that I'm cooking for one because I weigh it out before cooking (1 1/2 oz = 30 g carbs acc. to the package). I use whole wheat or veggie pasta--I don't know if this makes a difference. And I almost always have a veggie-rich sauce and a little meat with it. (Otherwise, it's soy cheese and pasta for me.) I rarely have pasta at restaurants.

I've never tried Dreamfields.

I have pizza only once in a great while, as a treat, and I don't worry about what it does to my BG. A treat is a treat is a treat, in my book. :smileyhappy:

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

shariandkeith wrote:

It would be so easy if you could read the "rules" of what's good or bad for "diabetics" and then follow the "rules" and everything will be peachy.  It doesn't work that way.

This would assume that all diabetics and their bodies are made from the same mold and what works for one works for all.  This is so not the case.   Every person is different.  You might do fine with pasta, your husband not fine at all.  

So you can read posters telling you how it works for them, or you can read what the "experts" say is good OR you could do the really smart thing and test it on yourself and find if it works for you.  This does require more work, but knowledge is seldom gained without some effort.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,521
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

shariandkeith wrote: (in part)

Most of these are okay ...

Hi, shariandkieth,

I've had a little more time on the computer now, so I clicked on the link you provided. Earlier I simply replied to your question re: pasta (not included above--I shortened your original post).

Looking at the list of 7 lunches (in the link), I think the list is way too general. Personally, I would not give it a blanket "okay." For example, it recommends "hearty soups" and one example it gives is soup with rice. Rice has a lot of carbs... Rice is mentioned again in the stir-fry listing. 

The list also mentions sandwiches, which I eat fairly often, but I'm pretty picky about the bread I buy. Gotta read those labels--a lot of bread is very high in carbs. (No news flash there!) Same thing with tortillas (mentioned under sandwiches).

Other than eating pizza in moderation, there was no mention of portion size in the list that I could see. At the bottom of the list there's a link for info re: portion control. When I clicked on it, what I got (again) was very general info and it was mostly about calories. Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing in the list or in the "portion control" info about carbs and portion sizes...nothing about BG.

To me, this seems more like a list for anyone who wants to eat more healthfully, not for someone with diabetes...

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Hi, Shari.  It is hard to improve on what Lizzy said, so I will just try to add a bit to it.  When I was diagnosed, my doctor sent me to see a dietician.  The dietician was 23 years old, and had been out of dietician school for 3 months.  She told me I should eat 45-60 grams of carbs for each meal and another 45-60 grams in snacks each day, for a total of 180-240 grams per day.  Since she was newly out of dietician school, I am sure that this represents the current state-of-the-art advice for diabetics.  I had been reading here, including Lizzy's information, and had already reduced my carb intake to about 50 grams per day.  When I told the dietician that, she gave me all sorts of dire warnings about how I was starving my brain to death.

I was already anxious, scared, and mad because I had been operating for years on what I now perceived as bad advice, to eat a low fat diet high in complex carbs.  I did not want to wake up 10 years from now and have those feelings rerun.  I asked my doctor who was the leading expert on diabetes in my area, and was given the name of an endocrinologist who is recognized nationally as a top diabetes practicioner.  I made an appointment, and 5 months later got in to see her.  After reviewing my history and current status, she said "I see you have been reading.  Most of my patients, I have to tell them to do what you are doing, and still many of them fight me.  You are already doing what I recommend".   So there are at least two schools of thought in the profession - that of my dietician, and that of my endocrinologist.  The magazine articles and diabetic cookbooks are written by dieticians.  When I read them, I view them as suggestions of things to try.  Others on this board have said that we are conducting a long-term science experiment, and our bodies are our labs.  That is a good way to look at it.

On the subject of Dreamfields pasta:  I have tried this.  About half of the times I have tried it, I have gotten a rise of about 40 points in my blood glucose levels, and the levels stay elevated for at least 4 hours after eating.  The other half of the times, I have gotten a rise of about 25 points, with the levels staying there again for at least 4 hours.  I weigh out 2 ounces of pasta, and undercook it by one minute.  I eat it with alfredo sauce (mostly fat and few carbs) instead of red sauce (which has more carbs and less fat) and pick a low carb vegetable like spinach to have with it.  Whatever does not get eaten right away goes into the trash - reheating breaks down the "magic coating" that causes the carbs to digest slowly.  To tell the truth, I haven't had it in a while, I haven't had the desire for pasta.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187