Frequent Responder
texastrish
Total Posts: 123
Registered on: ‎12-05-2009

Are spinach & kale toxic?

I've been doing a good job of keeping my blood sugars under tight control by drinking 2 green smoothies a day packed with spinach and kale among other things, and now my internet searches say that large amounts can affect your thyroid and cause kidney stones. Can anyone share what information they have or experiences? Is anyone vegetarian and have good books they can recommend. I recently cut out all animal products trying to keep my cholesterol normal without meds.

Frequent Advisor
Jill1012
Total Posts: 184
Registered on: ‎10-16-2012

Re: Are spinach & kale toxic?

[ Edited ]

Spinach can have an effect on your thyroid in large quantities. Also raw Broccoli.. Cooked is ok. I have thyroid disease and I have also been told to stay away from Grapefruit. Allot of Soy can have adverse effects also. There are certain foods to stay away from or have in moderation if you have Hypothyroid and are taking meds. Some effect the meds.. others effect your thyroid directly.

If you don't have a thyroid problem I guess the rule of thumb for all foods is moderation. Too much of a good thing can be a problem for some.

As far as trying to keep your cholesterol under control... concentrate more on your Saturated fats and prepackaged foods. Also Fast foods. I eat mostly whole foods and  that works for me to control BG and cholesterol.

Jill from Ga
Diagnosed 10-11-12
T2 A1c 7.2
Metformin 1000mg 2x daily
Synthroid 75mmg

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Spinach and Kale have lots of oxalic acid. As a result, too much of them in the diet can muck up your calcium levels.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,548
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I avoid spinach and kale.....

but it is really because I am not a healthy eater and don't eat enough vegetables period.:robotembarrassed: .. not for any good reason

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,903
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,046
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Large amounts of just about any one  kind of food have the potential to be a problem. The darker green vegetables are good for us because they are rich in vitamins and fiber, but we don't need to stick to one kind of food, almost as if it were a medicine or supplement.  There are plenty of other vegetables, and plenty of recipes, that will serve that purpose in our lives.

One of the good things for me about having diabetes has been that it has encouraged me to learn to experiment with cooking new foods and new ways to prepare and season the old favorites.  I like to look around the produce section (or even the frozen or canned vegetables) when I am grocery shopping to find vegetables that I have never tried, and then try preparing them in different ways. 

It's something I did once in a while years ago to give my kids a chance to learn about new things to eat, but now I am doing it for my husband and myself, since we both have diabetes. It's a sort of adventure, and I give myself a little freedom in my budget to make new choices. I am sure I am a much better cook because of it,

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Established Advisor
bugbarb
Total Posts: 553
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

Spinach, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, chard, beet greens....there is a whole bunch of choices you have for dark green greens.  If you don't like them by themselves, use them in a soup.

Too much of a good food will raise my blood glucose.
Frequent Responder
texastrish
Total Posts: 123
Registered on: ‎12-05-2009

bugbarb wrote:

Spinach, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, cabbage, chard, beet greens....there is a whole bunch of choices you have for dark green greens.  If you don't like them by themselves, use them in a soup.

Do you know which ones are the least bitter? I just made a smoothie with green leaf lettuce and it was so bitter and left a bad aftertaste and that's all I changed. With spinach and baby kale, I can't taste them when I add strawberries.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

texastrish wrote:

I've been doing a good job of keeping my blood sugars under tight control by drinking 2 green smoothies a day packed with spinach and kale among other things, and now my internet searches say that large amounts can affect your thyroid and cause kidney stones. Can anyone share what information they have or experiences? Is anyone vegetarian and have good books they can recommend. I recently cut out all animal products trying to keep my cholesterol normal without meds.

Read my sig. In case it doesn't show up on your browser:

Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,544
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

mollythed wrote:

Large amounts of just about any one  kind of food have the potential to be a problem. The darker green vegetables are good for us because they are rich in vitamins and fiber, but we don't need to stick to one kind of food, almost as if it were a medicine or supplement.  

How much is too much?

Today on a local all-news radio station while I was parking my truck, I heard an advice person come on and say that the carageenan in red and orange peppers could help avoid or remove the wrinkles around your eyes.

"2 cups a day (sic) should be enough," she said...  (sic? or sick?)

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,903
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,046
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

morrisolder wrote:

mollythed wrote:

Large amounts of just about any one  kind of food have the potential to be a problem. The darker green vegetables are good for us because they are rich in vitamins and fiber, but we don't need to stick to one kind of food, almost as if it were a medicine or supplement.  

How much is too much?

Today on a local all-news radio station while I was parking my truck, I heard an advice person come on and say that the carageenan in red and orange peppers could help avoid or remove the wrinkles around your eyes.

"2 cups a day (sic) should be enough," she said...  (sic? or sick?)

Oh, I love peppers, so I could probably enjoy a pepper a day in some form or other almost indefinitely, but I don't know if I could handle a kale smoothie with just a couple of leaves of kale two days in a row.  I do like greens sauteed with walnuts and onions, though.

Meanwhile, here I am in the middle of the night with blood glucose at 74 thinking a frozen strawberry and yogurt smoothie would hit the spot most any night.

(Molly wanders off toward kitchen...)

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.