Long Lost Member
charlitad
Total Posts: 87
Registered on: ‎04-05-2010

Apple Cider Vinegar and Blood Sugar

Hi All,

So I've been reading about the study of apple cider vinegar and how it may lower blood sugar numbers. Last night, I tried a couple of teaspoons full w/a glass of Crystal Light with my usual bedtime snack of string cheese and cucumbers.

This morning at 7:10 am, my FBG was 122 (it's been averaging in the 120's). I didn't sleep well last night and woke up late. Rushing to get to work, I missed my average breakfast and munched on 1/4 of a cucumber and a handful of almonds on the way to work. At 10 am, I checked my BG and it was 147. Since I have been faithfully monitoring my BG since my "diagnosis", I can say with some confidence that it has never been that high since 4/6...when it was 176 (I had just begun changing my diet.). Since then it has been steady for the most part at 110-117, mid morning, about 2-3 hours after eating breakfast.

I was feeling a little dizzy, too. I was shocked when I checked my BG. Does anyone know what may be happening? Did I not eat enough? If not, why the rise? Could it be the vinegar? The lack of sleep? I'm very confused. And a little upset. I was doing so well. I wanted to be stable on my own so my doctor won't give me any medicine. Char

Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

How long did you delay your breakfast from the usual time? Having breakfast pretty soon after waking benefits me, if I do not my morning numbers are usually higher than when I do. Nuts are usually part of a safe breakfast for me when i incorporate them as far as post breakfast numbers go.
Long Lost Member
charlitad

I took my FBG at 7:10 am, before my feet even touched the floor. Then, on the drive inn to work, I ate the almonds and cucumber between 7:45 and 8:10 am. So, 35 minutes or so.

Char
Long Lost Member
denise9755
Total Posts: 125
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi Char...For me, if I don't sleep well, I usually have higher numbers. That, paired with your rushing to get ready, eating a different type breakfast would probably be contributing factors. I don't know about how vinegar would impact so will leave that to others for a response. On the positive side, you have done very well since diagnosis so don't let one increased reading through you off!!
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Char Anderson (4/26/2010)
Hi All,

So I've been reading about the study of apple cider vinegar and how it may lower blood sugar numbers. Last night, I tried a couple of teaspoons full w/a glass of Crystal Light with my usual bedtime snack of string cheese and cucumbers.

This morning at 7:10 am, my FBG was 122 (it's been averaging in the 120's). I didn't sleep well last night and woke up late. Rushing to get to work, I missed my average breakfast and munched on 1/4 of a cucumber and a handful of almonds on the way to work. At 10 am, I checked my BG and it was 147. Since I have been faithfully monitoring my BG since my "diagnosis", I can say with some confidence that it has never been that high since 4/6...when it was 176 (I had just begun changing my diet.). Since then it has been steady for the most part at 110-117, mid morning, about 2-3 hours after eating breakfast.

I was feeling a little dizzy, too. I was shocked when I checked my BG. Does anyone know what may be happening? Did I not eat enough? If not, why the rise? Could it be the vinegar? The lack of sleep? I'm very confused. And a little upset. I was doing so well. I wanted to be stable on my own so my doctor won't give me any medicine. Char

I doubt very much that the vinegar had anything to do with it. It could be a combination of stress (from rushing) bad sleep (sleep does really affect numbers) and not eating enough.

I don't know what getting upset will do for the numbers. It sure doesn't help. Also if you needed glasses to see better would you be upset? Would you feel like a failure because you needed them? Medication is not a form of failure, and if you need it to help you achieve good results it can help you from being more stressed.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
charlitad

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I kind of enjoy working towards the goal of lowering my blood sugar through diet and exercise. Except for grad school, I've never been so organized and regimented. Doctors have told me before to lose weight because of my high blood pressure and GERD. They gave me meds and I was satisfied with controlling the symptoms and not the cause so I made no effort to change my eating habits or sedentary lifestyle. I even smoked cigarettes back then, too. But now with the big "D", enough's enough!!! I will control this.

Don't get me wrong, if it comes to meds, I will do what I am advised to do. But for now, I am so proud of where I've come. I don't feel like a failure at all. I haven't weighed in yet, but I'd even hazard to guess that I've lost a few lbs. Maybe I won't have to take any medication at all for a long time or ever. I just get upset when I don't know what's happening. That's why I come here.

Thanks
Char
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Char Anderson (4/26/2010)
I don't know if this makes any sense, but I kind of enjoy working towards the goal of lowering my blood sugar through diet and exercise. Except for grad school, I've never been so organized and regimented. Doctors have told me before to lose weight because of my high blood pressure and GERD. They gave me meds and I was satisfied with controlling the symptoms and not the cause so I made no effort to change my eating habits or sedentary lifestyle. I even smoked cigarettes back then, too. But now with the big "D", enough's enough!!! I will control this.

Don't get me wrong, if it comes to meds, I will do what I am advised to do. But for now, I am so proud of where I've come. I don't feel like a failure at all. I haven't weighed in yet, but I'd even hazard to guess that I've lost a few lbs. Maybe I won't have to take any medication at all for a long time or ever. I just get upset when I don't know what's happening. That's why I come here.

Thanks

Char

Char you're not a robot, and there are going to be many times when the numbers change and you'll never discover why. I think we've discussed this before.

It happens to all of us regardless of if we take medication or not and no matter how long we've had it.

By all means try to find a reason, but it really isn't productive to get upset every time there are changes. And above all, realize that while you do have a great deal of control of your body, you will never have complete control.

The only thing constant about diabetes is change.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I think apple cider vinegar ( the cloudy stuff you get in a health food store) has been listed as a "cure all" for most everything. I tried it for something in the past but can't remember what the reason was and it didn't do anything except pucker my lips! Great on a salad though!

Tom
Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Established Advisor
Angua
Total Posts: 787
Registered on: ‎04-02-2010

There is some evidence to suggest that some vinegars/acids may lower the glycemic load of high glycemic index foods, eg, if you had a side salad with a vinaigrette dressing and pasta, the impact of the pasta may be lessened, but that's about all I think.
Long Lost Member
charlitad

Yes, I do recall that is what the limited research shows, so maybe I shouldn't bother with dosing myself with Apple Cider Vinegar. I'll just stick with my usual snack and let the chips fall where they may. This was a failed experiment.

So, here's another, I read somewhere that a brief walk (10 minutes) before bed, might lower my FBG #'s. Does anyone have any information on that?

Char