Responder
bandito1047
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎11-17-2012

Alcohol and blood sugar levels

[ Edited ]

Just wanting some opinions from those of you more experienced.  If alcohol makes your blood sugar go down, like a shot of whiskey for example.  What would be wrong with having a shot before eating something you know you might want that is high in carbs knowing the whiskey will help keep your sugars down.  And why does alcohol do this?  

Melinda

Diagnosed 09/12
Metformin 500 mg
12/12 A1c 5.4
03/13 A1c 5.5
08/13 A1c 5.6
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Alcohol and blood sugar levels

Bandito1047 wrote:

Just wanting some opinions from those of you more experienced.  If alcohol makes your blood sugar go down, like a shot of whiskey for example.  What would be wrong with having a shot before eating something you know you might want that is high in carbs knowing the whiskey will help keep your sugars down.  And why does alcohol do this?  

Bandito, Alcohol does not actually make your blood sugar go down. It keeps the liver busy dealing with it's toxic effect so that the liver cannot provide glucose to your blood stream if it is needed.

That is not a very effective or reliable way to practice blood sugar control.

Also most of the meds we take must also be filtered by the liver so you may well be overworking it and often there are consequences to taking meds and alcohol at the same time.

I think you are better off choosing a portion size of the food that you want to eat that is not going to raise your blood sugar.

I sometimes have a before dinner drink of rye and water, but I usually have it with a small snack of nuts and let some time pass before I sit down to dinner.  With wine, I do almost the same thing.

You should have this discussion with your doctor so that he can help you judge timing of drinks and cautions re the meds you take.

Cheers,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,640
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Bandito1047 wrote:

The second part of your question is the key...  Alcohol is filtered out of the blood by the liver, whose other job is to release glucose into your blood when you start to go low. The liver is poor at multi-tasking, and prioritizes alcohol filtering over sugar release.  So alcohol can stop your blood sugar from rebounding when it drifts low.

that is not the same as preventing your glucose from going high in the first place. You will still react to the carbs in the same way, blood sugar will go up if you eat too many.  But when it comes down after 2 or  3 hours and gets to normal, if there is still alcohol in your blood, it will just keep dropping unless you eat something.

So in that way it can cause lows. But it does not prevent your blood sugar from rising in the first place...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,672
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Bandito1047 wrote:

Apart from the wise advice in the other posts, even if that worked (it won't) it would be a bit like driving your car with one foot flat out on the accelerator and the other on the brake to give an even average speed. Not a wise way to drive, nor is it a wise way to manage the body.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)