Reply
Frequent Responder
JillPall
Total Posts: 68
Registered on: ‎07-23-2012

Abilify and Type 2 question

Ever since I learned my Type 2 diagnosis I have been wondering if I should continue taking Abilify, which is a similar drug to Zyprexa. I have been taking Abilify 30 mg since 2004. My father has Type 2 and was diagnosed when he was 60. I am 40. My question is, did the Abilify help cause or speed up the onset of my Diabetes and should I continue taking it? I asked my Dr. And she doesn't want me to stop the Abilify. I am working hard on my diet and exercise. I just am wondering what you guys think. Of course I won't stop unless the Dr. says I should. -Jill
- Jill

Type 2 dx 7/17/12 A1C 6.6
Weight 216 on 8/07/12
Weight 218 on 7/31/12
Weight 226 on 6/19/12
Changing my diet and exercising every day
"One day at a time."
Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question

If you need the medicine, you need it.  Don't stop taking it without medical supervision.  Just my opinion.  I'm not a health care provider.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Frequent Responder
JillPall
Total Posts: 68
Registered on: ‎07-23-2012

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question

I'm not going to stop taking it. I just worry that it will raise my blood sugar- it is listed as one of the possible side effects. I will the Dr. About it next appt.
- Jill

Type 2 dx 7/17/12 A1C 6.6
Weight 216 on 8/07/12
Weight 218 on 7/31/12
Weight 226 on 6/19/12
Changing my diet and exercising every day
"One day at a time."
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question


JillPall wrote:
I'm not going to stop taking it. I just worry that it will raise my blood sugar- it is listed as one of the possible side effects. I will the Dr. About it next appt.

Yes that drug can cause diabetes.  I'm a person that believes this should be discussed with a person before hand.  It's your life and you should make the decision, not be kept in the dark.  That shows that you should do your own investigation  before taking a drug so you'll know what you might be getting into.

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Frequent Responder
JillPall
Total Posts: 68
Registered on: ‎07-23-2012

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question


lizzylou wrote:

JillPall wrote:
I'm not going to stop taking it. I just worry that it will raise my blood sugar- it is listed as one of the possible side effects. I will the Dr. About it next appt.

Yes that drug can cause diabetes.  I'm a person that believes this should be discussed with a person before hand.  It's your life and you should make the decision, not be kept in the dark.  That shows that you should do your own investigation  before taking a drug so you'll know what you might be getting into.

 

Lizzy


I wish I had done the research and been given something else. But 8 years later I can't go back. My Dr. Believes the benefit outweighs the side effect. My BG numbers have been good so I guess I should be glad about that. -Jill
- Jill

Type 2 dx 7/17/12 A1C 6.6
Weight 216 on 8/07/12
Weight 218 on 7/31/12
Weight 226 on 6/19/12
Changing my diet and exercising every day
"One day at a time."
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question


JillPall wrote:

lizzylou wrote:

JillPall wrote:
I'm not going to stop taking it. I just worry that it will raise my blood sugar- it is listed as one of the possible side effects. I will the Dr. About it next appt.

Yes that drug can cause diabetes.  I'm a person that believes this should be discussed with a person before hand.  It's your life and you should make the decision, not be kept in the dark.  That shows that you should do your own investigation  before taking a drug so you'll know what you might be getting into.

 

Lizzy


I wish I had done the research and been given something else. But 8 years later I can't go back. My Dr. Believes the benefit outweighs the side effect. My BG numbers have been good so I guess I should be glad about that. -Jill


Which is exactly my point!  It's not your doctor's life it's yours.  Of course it's way too long after the fact now, but I'm the type of person who likes to make my own decisions about my life.  That's just me however.

 

Lizzy 

 

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question

The link I rad about this states that Abilify can cause diabetes in somewhere between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 people who take it.

 

You might be that one--or it might have nothing to do with your diabetes...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...


Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,390
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question

This is what WebMd.com has to say about the side effects of Abilify. Please notice the part highlited in red.

 

ABILIFY ORAL SIDE EFFECTS

 

Dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, excess saliva/drooling, blurred visionweight gainconstipation, and trouble sleeping may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

To reduce the risk of dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position. 

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: fast/pounding heartbeat, fainting, mental/mood changes (such as increased anxiety, depression,suicidal thoughts), trouble swallowing, restlessness, shaking (tremor), muscle spasm/stiffness, mask-like expression of the face, seizures, signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat).


This medication may infrequently make your blood sugar level rise, which can cause or worsen diabetes. Rarely, very serious conditions such as diabetic coma may occur. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms of high blood sugar, such as increased thirst and urination. If you already have diabetes, be sure to check your blood sugars regularly. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.

 

This medication may rarely cause a condition called tardive dyskinesia. In some cases, this condition may be permanent. Tell your doctor right away if you develop any unusual uncontrolled movements (especially of the face, mouth, tongue, arms or legs).

This medication may rarely cause a serious condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Get medical help right away if you develop the following: fever, muscle stiffness, severe confusion, sweating, fast/irregular heartbeat.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.


Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.  

 

In the US -

Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.

 

Source http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-64439-Abilify+Oral.aspx?drugid=64439&drugname=Abilify+Oral&source=1


James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,854
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,933
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question


morrisolder wrote:

The link I rad about this states that Abilify can cause diabetes in somewhere between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 people who take it.

 

You might be that one--or it might have nothing to do with your diabetes...


If you already have the genetic markers it's quite likely to cause it.  It does raise blood glucose in all, if they don't have the markers it's not likely that they will get it.  If they do...........

 

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Frequent Responder
JillPall
Total Posts: 68
Registered on: ‎07-23-2012

Re: Abilify and Type 2 question

Thank you, James. The part that concerns me is that it may worsen diabetes. I have been testing a lot to see if my bg is affected. My father has Type 2 so Lizzy, I believe I have the genetic factor. When I see the Dr. who diagnosed me I will ask her what she thinks. I can always get more Dr.'s opinions until I am satisfied that the Abilify is Ok. My instinct tells me it's bad for Diabetics. Thanks, guys, for your input. -Jill
- Jill

Type 2 dx 7/17/12 A1C 6.6
Weight 216 on 8/07/12
Weight 218 on 7/31/12
Weight 226 on 6/19/12
Changing my diet and exercising every day
"One day at a time."