Super Advisor
dturney
Total Posts: 1,404
Registered on: ‎04-21-2011

ARE YOU A HYPERCONDRIAC? WEBMED

[ Edited ]

Hypercondriac is a condition that affects the mind where a person thinks they are ill yet in real sense they are not. The person who is always under the impression that they are ill and constantly get the fear of getting falling sick. Some of the causes of hypercondriac are the underlying disease or illness. For example a person who has chronic illness like cancer, diabetes or HIV/AIDS can develop this anxiety of thinking that they are sick even when they are not. Another cause can be an irritating thought that can dominate the mind about the fear of uncertainty or of the unknown. For example if you have had someone who had the symptoms that are similar to yours and they were diagnosed with certain diseases that scare you then you can begin to feel sick.

TYPE 2 Diagnosed June 1970
MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Metformin 500MG X 3 Before meals.
I am not young enough to know everything!
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: ARE YOU A HYPERCONDRIAC? WEBMED

Re: ARE YOU A HYPERCONDRIAC?

No.

But sometimes I wish I was. Ten years ago I suggested to my doc that it was all a figment of my imagination.

He disagreed. So did several other doctors since.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

I don't think I am Don.  In fact I tend to put little body glitches to the back of my mind in the hopes that they will go  away. They generally do.

However if something hangs on for too long I do go to the doctor but not before doing some research on the internet to see if it is caused by diabetes. Often I find out that those with diabetes are more "prone" to having things like frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel syndrome, even toenail fungus.

So like many people I have to hold myself back from blaming any of the things that go wrong with my body on this disease we share.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 838
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

I regret to inform you people with diabetes, cancer, or HIV/Aids are sick. Diabetes can cause intensive bodywide inflammation which can have a serious impact on all bodily systems. Cancer can cause paraneoplastic syndrome when a confused autoimmune system which is trying to eradicate a tumor redirects its attack on the normal tissues of the body. HIV/Aids, well, they have little to no immune system and are often sick all the time by definition.

While I understand there are some people who are truly hypochondriac (which is an illness in itself) I suspect most people in the above categories are given the label by people or physicians who don't understand the systemic implications of the disease. I once read a study that said people with autoimmune diseases typically run a gauntlet of physicians for 8 years on average prior to a correct diagnosis. It is a bet worth taking every physician prior to the diagnosing one dismissed them as a hypochrondriac. Some of us with diabetes have gone through a similar experience due to relatively normal A1Cs but terrible postmeal bgs.

I know what you're saying and don't take objection to your post but suppose the number of true hypochondriacs are few and science has lately been discovering mental illnesses are typically a result not of lack of character but of aberrant physiology meaning being a hypochondriac is itself a sign of an as yet undiagnosed physical problem!

Then again they tend to give people pills for everything these days so there's something to be said for the opposite point of view. Nowadays they medicate kids just because school is boring...

Super Advisor
dturney

[ Edited ]

maplesyrup wrote:

I don't think I am Don.  In fact I tend to put little body glitches to the back of my mind in the hopes that they will go  away. They generally do.

However if something hangs on for too long I do go to the doctor but not before doing some research on the internet to see if it is caused by diabetes. Often I find out that those with diabetes are more "prone" to having things like frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel syndrome, even toenail fungus.

So like many people I have to hold myself back from blaming any of the things that go wrong with my body on this disease we share.

Dianne

I am kinda like that to Dianne, I try to think I really don't dwell on medical problems, however, if my body is telling something is wrong ...I am on the way to the Doc. I think we folks are more in tune with what is going on . Not so much about being a hypercondriac. I just thought this was interesting that this would be talking point, however, I am a firm believer you can find anything on the Web.

MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Super Advisor
dturney

[ Edited ]

gphxgphx wrote:

I regret to inform you people with diabetes, cancer, or HIV/Aids are sick. Diabetes can cause intensive bodywide inflammation which can have a serious impact on all bodily systems. Cancer can cause paraneoplastic syndrome when a confused autoimmune system which is trying to eradicate a tumor redirects its attack on the normal tissues of the body. HIV/Aids, well, they have little to no immune system and are often sick all the time by definition.

While I understand there are some people who are truly hypochondriac (which is an illness in itself) I suspect most people in the above categories are given the label by people or physicians who don't understand the systemic implications of the disease. I once read a study that said people with autoimmune diseases typically run a gauntlet of physicians for 8 years on average prior to a correct diagnosis. It is a bet worth taking every physician prior to the diagnosing one dismissed them as a hypochrondriac. Some of us with diabetes have gone through a similar experience due to relatively normal A1Cs but terrible postmeal bgs.

I know what you're saying and don't take objection to your post but suppose the number of true hypochondriacs are few and science has lately been discovering mental illnesses are typically a result not of lack of character but of aberrant physiology meaning being a hypochondriac is itself a sign of an as yet undiagnosed physical problem!

Then again they tend to give people pills for everything these days so there's something to be said for the opposite point of view. Nowadays they medicate kids just because school is boring...

No intent in the post. I just thought it was interesting, and being diabetic I was just interesting what some other diabetic thought....I think folks with diabetes had better be more in tune, that others,  with what is going on...it could save your life...

MDI Humalog
DI Lantus
Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 965
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I know some people that I'd probably put that label on, but it's not my place, and you just never know when it's something real.

For my family, you just didn't go to doctor unless you were extremely sick or injured.  You had a prob, you dealt with it, put one foot in front of the other, and got on with your life.  Well, guess what, I learned.  Or should say I'm learning.  Had a tooth that kept hurting, x-rays didn't show cavity, thought tooth just sensitive, blah blah, and wound up having root canal... tooth had vertical crack, lots of infection. 

With diabetes, I think we have to stay aware of all our body.  Reading these boards shows what can happen and that our bodies can change.  At least when we do notice something mention it to the doctor, and ofcourse here.

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 838
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

[ Edited ]

People with diabetes and other diseases face the unknown. They are also often faced with a much higher statistical likelihood of depression. This combination can lead to an overestimation of debilitation and underestimation of capability. To some extent it is up to us whether we choose to sink or soar. Not sure if this is what you meant but it holds truth for me.

Maybe one can be hypochondriac and have an undiagnosed issue at the same time much as they say just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. heh

mollythed
Total Posts: 6,103
Topics: 76
High Fives: 1,144
Solutions: 120
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

You know, I can think of a few people who posted here over the years who seemed to whine a lot about how hard it was to manage blood glucose and how frustrated they got while trying.  I can think of three of them right off-hand who turned out to have not type 2 but type 1 slowly developing LADA diabetes.  No wonder the oral meds weren't working.  Nowadays, I would be a little more patient and look back at their earlier posts to see if I thought they might have type 1 instead of just doubting their stories.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 30 years ago.  They didn't even call it that at the time, they called it fibrocytis.  I first went to every doctor you can imagine and had every type of test.  Nothing was found, fibro had no definitive test at the time, so of course I was told repeatedly that it was "all in my head" or the word hypochondriac was brandied about.  I knew I was in great pain that seriously affected my life, but no one would believe me.

I was finally sent to a Rheumetologist, told him my symptoms and he pressed an area by my collarbone.  It hurt like hello.  He then told me what was wrong with me.  It took about 5 minutes.  I cried mainly because finally someone believed me. At that time only about half of doctors believed it was real.  I went though a lot for about 10 years including them wanting to send me for counseling because they thought I was making up the whole thing.  I think it's now considered real, so people don't have to go through what I did.  There's TV commercials about it, so it must be real, right?

This is why I despise the word hypochondriac.

Lizzy   

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more