LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎06-27-2010

ALL ABOUT METFORMIN.........OR.......

Hello ,
Iv been in metformin for about 6 monthes now...and so far iv lost 19 lbs.... and feel alot better....Before that I was on glyburide and it made my sugar low ... I felt like a yo-yo.....but now im feeling alot better ....not great but better...
Long Lost Member
Total Posts: 71
Registered on: ‎04-29-2010

Lizzylou,

You forgot my term for the effects of metformin especially in high doses and in the beginning.....wait for it........Gluco-trots! Cause you are always trotting to the pot, lol
Helen aka Treadmill Lady

T2 since 2005
A1C @ DX  8, now 5.5
Metformin 1500 mg @ day
Long Lost Member
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-13-2010

that is a good a1c mine was 6.1
Super Advisor
Total Posts: 7,363
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Lynette Lewis (7/13/2010)
that is a good a1c mine was 6.1

Hi, Lynette, your 6.1 is good, too. Have you been diagnosed long? Please join us HERE on the regular General Discussion Type 2 board forum topics, where there's a bigger crowd to welcome you.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 18 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer 15-20 minutes 3x/day (includes evenings), dumbbells/strength-training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, modified Mediterranean/semi-vegetarian plant-based diet; 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 5mg Glipizide ER x4, 4000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 55 ~ Between 5.9-6.9 A1cs, av. 6.5 ~ Don't just sit there; metabolize your fuel, normalize your BG. Take action. Think, plan, do. Get your Heart Rate up and your BG down. Carpe Diem! Do what you can, when you can.
Long Lost Member
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-03-2010

Does the bloating/gas pains get better the longer you're on it?
Super Advisor
Total Posts: 7,363
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

susan marshall (8/3/2010)
Does the bloating/gas pains get better the longer you're on it?

Hello, Susan! It did get gradually better for me, but I started with the low 500mg dose Glucophage XR (extended release), and always took it with meals or snacks and a full glass of water, and it was never reallly too bad. That was a year ago. I gradually worked up to 500mg twice a day, and now thrice a day. I would cut back temporarily whenever various side effects started bothering me. What dosage are you on, and is it an extended release version? Also, there have been some extensive discussions of this on the Type 2 General Discussion board recently, and I'm sure if you post there, you'll be directed towards them, and/or will also get some new replies. There are more people posting there than on this archive board.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 18 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer 15-20 minutes 3x/day (includes evenings), dumbbells/strength-training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, modified Mediterranean/semi-vegetarian plant-based diet; 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 5mg Glipizide ER x4, 4000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 55 ~ Between 5.9-6.9 A1cs, av. 6.5 ~ Don't just sit there; metabolize your fuel, normalize your BG. Take action. Think, plan, do. Get your Heart Rate up and your BG down. Carpe Diem! Do what you can, when you can.
Long Lost Member
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

Hi
Thanks for your informative post. I am a 67 year old male diagnosed with D2 about four years ago. I
managed with a life style change for over 3 years but started on medication (alpha Glucosidase inhibitor ) to deal with my post supper spikes. The medication did not work and my doctor has asked me to start Metformin (500 mg a day after supper ) to deal with the spikes. My FBG rarely exceeds 102 and I felt that I might be better off with a Sulfonylurea but my doctor ruled it because my spikes rarely go beyond 200 and he fears hypoglycemia with Sulfonylureas. I have been taking Met for a couple of days now and my PPBG shows no change. Last night it was 188 ! I have some stomach discomfort- mainly nausea and bloating - but hope it won't last long

How long will I have to wait for some change ?

Sorry for this long message but you appear to know a lot about the subject and I wanted to tap into your expertise

Thanks

sam
Responder
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎11-06-2009

my endocrinologist just put me on metformin 1,000/day. He said it would take 2-3 weeks before we see changes.
Total Posts: 14,157
Topics: 575
High Fives: 2,195
Solutions: 148
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

sam500016@gmail.com (11/10/2009)
Hi

Thanks for your informative post. I am a 67 year old male diagnosed with D2 about four years ago. I managed with a life style change for over 3 years but started on medication (alpha Glucosidase inhibitor ) to deal with my post supper spikes. The medication did not work and my doctor has asked me to start Metformin (500 mg a day after supper ) to deal with the spikes. My FBG rarely exceeds 102 and I felt that I might be better off with a Sulfonylurea but my doctor ruled it because my spikes rarely go beyond 200 and he fears hypoglycemia with Sulfonylureas. I have been taking Met for a couple of days now and my PPBG shows no change. Last night it was 188 ! I have some stomach discomfort- mainly nausea and bloating -but hope it won't last long

How long will I have to wait for some change ?

Sorry for this long message but you appear to know a lot about the subject and I wanted to tap into your expertise

sam

Hi Sam, Welcome to the boards!

Yes, I not only write about it, I take it too.

I think your doctor was wise in his choice of medication
because of your numbers. Many people experience lows
with Sulfonylureas when their numbers are not too high to
start with. On metformin lows are rare.

It could take anywhere from several weeks to several months
to experience the full effects of the drug, although you should
start to see some change within a few weeks. It could also take
that long for the side-affects to ease too, but it's worth it!

Why don't you join us on the "General Discussion" board and
we'll tell you more ways to get those dinner numbers down!

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more