Frequent Responder
xanthra2
Total Posts: 418
Registered on: ‎12-01-2009

ALA for neuropathy

In yesterday's email came the latest Diabetes Self Management post. This edition was specifically addressing neuropathy. I especially liked the link that sang the praises of ALA as a preventative. I use it as a curative as well.

For those who don't know me, I had neuropathy in my feet and lower legs when I was first diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago. I thought it was restless leg syndrome because if was always worse when I attempted to go to sleep at night. And I hadn't even danced the night away doing the Fandango!!! I didn't know I had diabetes or that the pain and wild tingling in my legs were from the big D.

I was searching the internet after diagnosis which consisted of the doctor handing me a meter and turning me lose in the big wide world with no info. What's a girl to do? I searched the internet and thank God found this funny, informed Australian guy who blogged about low carb, testing and a bunch of other alien but useful things to get a grip on diabetes before it got a grip on me!! It was Alan, our guy here on the board and still helping. This board lead me to another super guy named Morris who had neuropathy and lead me through the dark and toe-tingling tunnel to ALA.

For me, ALA works. I am on it again because of fighting high BG numbers. If you have neuropathy and want to read more on it use the link (please work!!!) below.

DiabetesSelf_Management@e3.ixs1.net

Xanthra
Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

ALA for neuropathy

Dr. Bernstein recommends a particular brand of ALA which contains the form R-ALA. It is also recommended that you take the ALA with Biotin as it is suggested that ALA depletes the body of Biotin.

Another supplement that is recommended for neuropathy is benfotiamine (fat soluble B1).

I can provide references, but I'm not sure how tolerant this board is of that data.

Hope that helps.
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,425
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,375
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

ALA for neuropathy

__bsc_ (11/6/2010)
Dr. Bernstein recommends a particular brand of ALA which contains the form R-ALA. It is also recommended that you take the ALA with Biotin as it is suggested that ALA depletes the body of Biotin.

Another supplement that is recommended for neuropathy is benfotiamine (fat soluble B1).

I can provide references, but I'm not sure how tolerant this board is of that data.

Hope that helps.

I don't think anyone has a problem with legitimate cites and references. If they are written in medi-speak then a brief synopsis or translation into lay English together with the url can help. The url is preferred to a journal reference because most readers here do not have access to medical libraries, although the journal cite will do if no url exists. If you don't have the url I can usually find most cites using Scholar, Highwire or Medscape if the full title or the author's name is provided.

On other forums the reports on ALA are mixed. For some, such as Morris and Xanthra, it seems to work miracles. For others it not only helps neuropathy but also improves blood glucose levels. And for others it also assists arthritis. Almost a wonder-supplement.

But ALA seems to be a very personal supplement.

For myself, I added ALA two months ago but I have been unable to detect any effects at all on my blood glucose levels or my arhtritis (I don't have neuropathy). I also take glucosamine for my arthritis and I am about to discontinue that to see the effect. If there is still no change I will also discontinue the ALA a month or two later to see what happens then.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

ALA for neuropathy

My experience is that Alpha Lipoic Acid, which should be spelled out as there is also Alpha Lineolic Acid, NOT the same thing but also available on supplement shelves, helps with neuropathy, but not with blood glucose levels. In our discussions voer the years here, a small minority have found it helps with blood glucose levels, while a much higher percentage have reported it helpful with neuropathy.

For me , the cheapest ALA available, from Trader Joe's, made a huge difference; other have reported the same with ALA purchased at Wal Mart. Some people write onthe internet that it must be time-released, but I have read convincing reasoning that argues that time-released should not work as well. Others have argued for particular forms of R-ALA, and other s promote the use of a "neuorpathy cocktail, consisting of ALA, Evening Primrose Oil (which contains Gamma Lineolic Acid and Vitamin C usually) as being a superior remedy. I ahve not tried the R-ALA, but have tried the cocktail, which didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever, although to be fair, I was aiming it at the 5% of my neuropathy that had resisted the ALA alone, and neither worked 100%.

Although ALA seems to be about the only thing that really helps to reverse neuropathy, it should be noted that eliminating the condition that fosters neuropathy--high blood glucose levels, is probably much more important, as normal blood glucose allows the body to start healing itself. ALA might speed up that process, but the positive environment of normal glucose levels is what makes any reversal possible.

I have written longer posts about this, which most people here have seen, and can copy them into this thread if anyone suffering from neuropahty is looking for help...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
xanthra2

ALA for neuropathy

Thanks Morris about the two ALA confusion. I had someone ask me that from their cell phone when at Wal Mart last week. Yes, very different drugs.

It takes several weeks for me to feel any difference so if anyone takes it, hang in there. My neuropathy was bad enough to keep me awake. I have such relief from it and stopped taking ALA for months but am back on it and glad for it.

Xan
Frequent Responder
xanthra2

ALA for neuropathy

Alan, good input but I got distracted by that crust less quiche of your. That looks excellent! I always wondered how to handle the milk in quiche. Have to try this. SWMBO is fortunate to have you doing the cooking!!!

Xan
Frequent Responder
teapot46
Total Posts: 51
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

ALA for neuropathy

xanthra xanthras (11/6/2010)
For me, ALA works. I am on it again because of fighting high BG numbers.

Xanthra

Alpha Lipoic Acid has really helped me with neuropathy in the feet, my left foot being the worst. I still have numbness and hypersensitivity to heat and cold on my feet but at least the burning pain is gone.

Unfortunately, Alpha Lipoic Acid doesn't help to reduce my blood sugars.

- teapot
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,425
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,375
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

ALA for neuropathy

xanthra xanthras (11/6/2010)
Alan, good input but I got distracted by that crust less quiche of your. That looks excellent! I always wondered how to handle the milk in quiche. Have to try this. SWMBO is fortunate to have you doing the cooking!!!

Xan

Bon appetit, I hope it works for you
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Frequent Responder
RunningBuffalo
Total Posts: 896
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

ALA for neuropathy

I have had great results w/ Alpha Lipoic Acid! Recently I got pretty sick - and my sugars have been up - so the pain is back. But, the Alpha Lipoic Acid helps - and when my nos. get back w/in the range I want (Fasting < 110, Post prandial < 124), the pain is much better WITH the ALA!

I have had 99% reversal of the numbness in my toes! This is wonderful!

I attended a seminar this past late summer on the Immune System. When I asked the PhD presenter about scientific data as to the efficacy of Alpha Lipoic Acid . . . he told me "if it works for you, that's great." He seemed dismissive about it. All I know is that it DOES work for me! YMMV!!!

(Did not know about the Biotin deficiency. Any articles/journals on that??)

Thx

RB
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,855
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,934
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

ALA for neuropathy

Did not know about the Biotin deficiency. Any articles/journals on that??)

It's pretty rare to have one since so many foods contain it. Just do a google and there's lots of info.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more