Occasional Responder
way2go
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎05-13-2013

Re: ALA and neuropathy

BRAVO and THANK YOU again SO MUCH, Morris! I read your story quickly yesterday before I went to choir rehearsal last evening. I was in such a good mood at choir rehearsal in anticipation of taking ALA later that night.  

ANYWAY, I've had this neuropathy for over three years so I didn't know how long to expect before I felt like there was a change going on, but just the fact that i was able to 'stay still' in the bed for a full hour before succoming to sleep was more than I could have ever expected! I spent that whole hour thanking and praising God. I could hardly wait to fall asleep so I could wake up and take another tablet! 

When I reread your article this morning, I got even more out of it that I missed yesterday evening when I read it. I don't understand -- or maybe I misread -- what you mean when you wrote, '"There is an issue that ALA tends to have a very short life, and so it is best to not take it all at once."  My confsion is what does 'very short llife' mean? 

As a result of your post, the ADA community thread, as well as seeing that ALA has a positive affect with neuropathy I am gaining the energy to have HOPE this morning. I want to find a suitable meal and exercise plan to aid in this delimna today. humpf -- truth be told I'm even looking forward to doing housework that has escaped my desires for years! Which is so strange to me because my younger brother lost his life to complications as a result of diabetes December 5, 2010.

Thank you -- as well as others -- who have reminded me about getting my AC1 into a normal range and get more exercising.  That's my first lines to tackle. Previously I ate the 'feel good' foods that actually made me feel even worse -- now I can change the negative domino effect of diabetes by starting to build a stronger bridge to carry me into the best years of my life. 

Now -- off to look for menus and recipes for better eating. 

Occasional Responder
way2go

BRAVO and THANK YOU again SO MUCH, Morris! I read your story quickly yesterday before I went to choir rehearsal last evening. I was in such a good mood at choir rehearsal in anticipation of taking ALA later that night.  

ANYWAY, I've had this neuropathy for over three years so I didn't know how long to expect before I felt like there was a change going on, but just the fact that i was able to 'stay still' in the bed for a full hour before succoming to sleep was more than I could have ever expected! I spent that whole hour thanking and praising God. I could hardly wait to fall asleep so I could wake up and take another tablet! 

When I reread your article this morning, I got even more out of it that I missed yesterday evening when I read it. I don't understand -- or maybe I misread -- what you mean when you wrote, "... that ALA tends to have a very short life, and so it is best to not take it all at once."  My confsion is what does 'very short llife' mean?' 

As a result of your post, the ADA community thread, as well as seeing that ALA has a positive affect with neuropathy I am gaining the energy to have HOPE this morning. I want to find a suitable meal and exercise plan to aid in this delimna today. humpf -- truth be told I'm even looking forward to doing housework that has escaped my desires for years! Which is so strange to me because my younger brother lost his life to complications as a result of diabetes December 5, 2010.

Thank you -- as well as others -- who have reminded me about getting my AC1 into a normal range and get more exercising.  That's my first lines to tackle. Previously I ate the 'feel good' foods that actually made me feel even worse -- now I can change the negative domino effect of diabetes by starting to build a stronger bridge to carry me into the best years of my life. 

Now -- off to look for menus and recipes for better eating. 

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

way2go - please keep us posted on how well this works for you.  We are hoping it works great!

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,717
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

In saying that ALA has a short llife int he body, I meant that it is only effective for a few hours before it breaks down and is no longer effective.

So if  you are taking 600 mg per day, it works much better to take it  in 2-3 doses rather than all at once, which would mena that most of the day it would not be active.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Hey Sunrite,

I am glad you have your life back regarding the neuropathy. Did you know they use Alpha Lipoic Acid in IV form in Europe to treat neuropathic pain and they use very high doses liek 1200 to 1800 mgs. I have tried ALA but have a bad reaction and this happens every time. I am definitely allergic to something in the ALA capsule, but whether it is the ALA itself of something else I can't tell. For now it remains a mystery but the biggest things stressed on the neuropathy boards is to keep one's blood sugars as close to normal as possible and to test frequently. I have learned there are multiple causes of neuropathy and diabetes is just one of them, but then people with diabetes can have different types of neuropathy with peripheral neuropathy being just one kind. Either way you slice it, neuropathy is a horrible, horrible disease.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

way2go wrote:

Greetings. I have been diagnosed with T2 in October 2010. I've been dealing with this neuropathy in my feet when I wa finally diagnosed. Unemployed, I do not have health insurance so I leaped for joy when I finally saw your post today about ALA and neuropathy. I'm on my way to choir rehearsal but I'm stopping by Walmart first to get some ALA. I hope it does something to relieve my pain, annoyance, and sadness because of the discomfort. I cry ow in anticipation. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! God bess all of us.

Good luck with the ALA. I found it also helped my arthritis.

This may help just as much in the long term: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
way2go

Thank you for your post. I'm so happy that you're able to experience some RELIEF from pain. Neuropathy and arthritis?! -- bless your heart. Thank you for your strength, and perserverence. I will add you and this wonderful community to my list of heroes. Peace and blessings to you and to all in the Diabetes and Arthritis community.

Occasional Responder
way2go

Thank you for your thoughtful post.  Your strength and perseverence are inspiring -- thank you for sharing. I keep you in my prayers and I pray you find comfort for your neuropathy soon.

My new favorite question now because of you is "What are some of your favorite meals you like to eat to control your bg?"

Peace and blessings to you my comrade.

Occasional Responder
way2go

Thank you for the clarification. You ave spoken on the same things I've experience -- number one being that I thought I had restless leg syndrome also. From your story I have made you a comrade in my head. ;D

I'm totally interested in what are some of the items you've enjoyed eating to control your bg.  I can't wait to have energy to be more active -- you give me HOPE -- thanks!

Peace and blessings.