Frequent Responder
rebekahsmith
Total Posts: 55
Registered on: ‎02-22-2012

A1c of 6.0%

Hello everyone I had an A1c of 6.0%, last was 6.3%, my goal is 5.7% I need to lose at least 20 lbs to come off my cholesterol and my 3 Metformin pills, maybe more. I have remainded at the same weight from last month to this month. I would like to walk more as I weigh over 200 lbs. I went into deep depression after losing my job at Kmart and ate everything in god's earth. I had my A1c checked June 15, 2012 and I found out it only went down 0.3% from 6.3% to 6.0% and my goal is to be at 5.7%

Rebekah Smith

Metformin ER 1500 mg a day.

A1c June 15, 2012 6.0%

A1c February 20, 2012 6.3%

Dx date February 20, 2012

NightStar71
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎05-17-2012

I do not take Metformin anymore

I do not take Metformin anymore. I had stroke and heart attack in 2011. It was really very difficult to deal with. I almost died. Then I took a look at my medication. I found that Statins could lead to Maypathy, and to Cardiomyopathy as well, to heart attack. At that time I took 80Mg of Lipitor + 134Mg of Trycor. My cholesterol was 743, after that doctors stopped to check it up, so I think it got higher.

I looked at my long ago blood tests and discovered that before I started to take Metformin my cholesterol was 90, after about a year with Simvastatin it hited 1114. Doctor prescribed Lipitor insted.

In September 23, 2011 I stopped to take Metformin together with Lipitor and Tricor. I did not go to doctors since February,  but last test in February my cholesterol was, do not remember, something about 240.

I do not know why doctors give diagnose like Diabetes Type 1 or Type 2 without running any test, Why Metforming is #1 choice when Metforming does not reduce the level of sugar at all? Metformin has a lot of side effects, but I did not find any benefits of it. I started Metformin therapy in 2004, consummed over 5Kg of this drag, had all side effects it gives, and finished up with stroke of both sides, leak in one side and clots in another.

I still be Diabetic Type 2, doctors try to put me on Metformin, but there is no way I will take it anymore.

Night Star
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: A1c of 6.0%

rebekahsmith wrote:

Hello everyone I had an A1c of 6.0%, last was 6.3%, my goal is 5.7% I need to lose at least 20 lbs to come off my cholesterol and my 3 Metformin pills, maybe more. I have remainded at the same weight from last month to this month. I would like to walk more as I weigh over 200 lbs. I went into deep depression after losing my job at Kmart and ate everything in god's earth. I had my A1c checked June 15, 2012 and I found out it only went down 0.3% from 6.3% to 6.0% and my goal is to be at 5.7%

Rebekah Smith

Metformin ER 1500 mg a day.

A1c June 15, 2012 6.0%

A1c February 20, 2012 6.3%

Dx date February 20, 2012

G'day again Rebekah

Your A1c is fine. It sounds like you are getting over the trauma of the job loss. Is that the case now? Are you getting back into control with testing and diet?

Can we help?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s

Re: I do not take Metformin anymore

NightStar71 wrote:

I do not take Metformin anymore. I had stroke and heart attack in 2011. It was really very difficult to deal with. I almost died. Then I took a look at my medication. I found that Statins could lead to Maypathy, and to Cardiomyopathy as well, to heart attack. At that time I took 80Mg of Lipitor + 134Mg of Trycor. My cholesterol was 743, after that doctors stopped to check it up, so I think it got higher.

I looked at my long ago blood tests and discovered that before I started to take Metformin my cholesterol was 90, after about a year with Simvastatin it hited 1114. Doctor prescribed Lipitor insted.

In September 23, 2011 I stopped to take Metformin together with Lipitor and Tricor. I did not go to doctors since February,  but last test in February my cholesterol was, do not remember, something about 240.

I do not know why doctors give diagnose like Diabetes Type 1 or Type 2 without running any test, Why Metforming is #1 choice when Metforming does not reduce the level of sugar at all? Metformin has a lot of side effects, but I did not find any benefits of it. I started Metformin therapy in 2004, consummed over 5Kg of this drag, had all side effects it gives, and finished up with stroke of both sides, leak in one side and clots in another.

I still be Diabetic Type 2, doctors try to put me on Metformin, but there is no way I will take it anymore.

G'day and welcome.

Please excuse me for being a little confused. You said you are diagnosed type 2. You have mentioned metformin and statins, but not blood glucose levels or diet and exercise.

Would you mind giving us a little more information on those aspects of your diabetes?

It can also get a bit confusing when you start a new subject in an existing topic. When you want to start your own new topic, it is usually best to go to the Type 2 Forum page and click on New Message.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
NightStar71

Hi people.

Really I do not know where to start. So I just reply for some one post.

Sorry if I did something wrong.

I got my diagnose Diabetes Type 2 in 2004. Why it is type 2 if doctor did not run any tests I do not know. I started to take 2 000mg Metformin almost from the beginning. Because it did not work, I was given Glipizide I do not remember 10mg or 20mg daily.

My cholesterol was 90 at that time but it started to get up and soon it hit 1114. I took Simvastatin at that time, but it did not help. Doctor dropped Simvastatin and prescribed Lipitor 80mg daily. Trygicides went up, I started to take Trycor 134mg, but it did not help. After test shows 743 doctor stopped to check up my blood.

Now I stopped to take Metformin and any thing else. I take Insulin Lavemir 120 points daily. I used to take 35points of Novolog to take sugar under control. Now I do take Novolog only when Fasting sugar over 120. It would be much better if I had Lavemir as much as I need, but I always run out of it.

I tried to safe Lavemir and take more Novolog. My medical coverage soon will be closed, so I would not have an opportunity to get insulin Lavemir. But I finished up with sugar out of control. It went over 400. It was difficult to deal with. Just 3 hr sugar goes from 400 then Novolog shot then 40 then 400 then Novolog shot and back to 40.

So, today I take 120 points of Lavemir, Novolog when I need, and my fasting sugar today 104.

that's it.

Night Star
alan_s

[ Edited ]

NightStar71 wrote:

Hi people.

Really I do not know where to start. So I just reply for some one post.

Sorry if I did something wrong.

I got my diagnose Diabetes Type 2 in 2004. Why it is type 2 if doctor did not run any tests I do not know. I started to take 2 000mg Metformin almost from the beginning. Because it did not work, I was given Glipizide I do not remember 10mg or 20mg daily.

My cholesterol was 90 at that time but it started to get up and soon it hit 1114. I took Simvastatin at that time, but it did not help. Doctor dropped Simvastatin and prescribed Lipitor 80mg daily. Trygicides went up, I started to take Trycor 134mg, but it did not help. After test shows 743 doctor stopped to check up my blood.

Now I stopped to take Metformin and any thing else. I take Insulin Lavemir 120 points daily. I used to take 35points of Novolog to take sugar under control. Now I do take Novolog only when Fasting sugar over 120. It would be much better if I had Lavemir as much as I need, but I always run out of it.

I tried to safe Lavemir and take more Novolog. My medical coverage soon will be closed, so I would not have an opportunity to get insulin Lavemir. But I finished up with sugar out of control. It went over 400. It was difficult to deal with. Just 3 hr sugar goes from 400 then Novolog shot then 40 then 400 then Novolog shot and back to 40.

So, today I take 120 points of Lavemir, Novolog when I need, and my fasting sugar today 104.

that's it.

Your story indicates you are probably a type 2 using insulin. But I'm not a doctor, just a diabetic, so that is just my amateur opinion.

Would you mind adding some more details on dose, timing and menu? You don't have to, but the more information we have the more likely we may be able to offer some suggestions.

What time of day, related to your meals, do you take your 120 units of levemir?

What do you usually eat for breakfast? Also for lunch, dinner and snacks?

Have you been following dietary advice from a dietician or doctor? If so, what is that advice in  general terms?

Do you test after meals? If so, how long after and what numbers do you usually see then?

NightStar71

Hi

Diabet was divided for Type 1 and Type 2 about 500AC. Type 1 for kids, Type 2 are adult with extra pounds.

I was burn the way I am. The sugar in bolld was always high, but never sugar in urine. So, I was not diabetic according to past rule, no sugar in urine - not diabetic.

Now diagnose is based on sugar in blood, so I am diabetic. If I was diagnosed in my childhood, now I would be Type 1 diabetic. Because I was diagnosed at age of 50, I am Type 2 diabetic.

As I do know Diabetec Type 1 and Type 2 are not convertable, it is two different ilnesses.

I do not care, what I do eat, do not like to discuss it. I do not go to fitness club anymore. It is not safe with clots in blood to be outside alone. I was discharged from ER after midnight with leak in brane and clots on another side that go from heart. Alone on the street after midnight.

I do not know why did I started to post, I do not need any help. Today my med card was disactivated. I do have las box of insulin. I am done.

Night Star
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

NightStar71 wrote:

Hi

Diabet was divided for Type 1 and Type 2 about 500AC. Type 1 for kids, Type 2 are adult with extra pounds.

I was burn the way I am. The sugar in bolld was always high, but never sugar in urine. So, I was not diabetic according to past rule, no sugar in urine - not diabetic.

Now diagnose is based on sugar in blood, so I am diabetic. If I was diagnosed in my childhood, now I would be Type 1 diabetic. Because I was diagnosed at age of 50, I am Type 2 diabetic.

As I do know Diabetec Type 1 and Type 2 are not convertable, it is two different ilnesses.

I do not care, what I do eat, do not like to discuss it. I do not go to fitness club anymore. It is not safe with clots in blood to be outside alone. I was discharged from ER after midnight with leak in brane and clots on another side that go from heart. Alone on the street after midnight.

I do not know why did I started to post, I do not need any help. Today my med card was disactivated. I do have las box of insulin. I am done.

Night Star, feel free to come back and join the discussions whenever you have questions to ask.

Until then, why not take a little time and read on this board? It will not hurt one little bit for you to find out what problems others are dealing with. For me it makes me feel that I am not alone with this disease.

I wish you well,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,543
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

NightStar71 wrote:

That is something that you may be able to find help with in the first link in the discussion list for the T2 forum--

Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance

Make sure you look at the first post in that topic... which has links for how to find free and sliding scale clinice, prescription assistance and discounts and more...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Occasional Visitor
rebekahsmith75
Total Posts: 2

NightStar71:

I take 1500 mg of Metformin XL all at supper time and I take 2,000 mg of Cinnamon also at supper time and I haven't had one bit of problems with drug intereaction between my other meds, 20 total. I have Bipolar Type 2, Diabetes Type 2, and Depression and Anxiety on top of three cholesterol meds. I take Fenofibrate 160 mg, Crestor 20 mg and Zetia 10 mg. I also take Bupropion XL, Paroxetine CR, Geodon, and Buspirone 7.5 mg 4x daily. I also take two allergy meds, Singulair and Clariten, both 10 mg. I also take a Multivitamin and Calcium and since I'm on all these meds I take Docusate Sodium 100 mg 2x daily for a stool softener. I can't come off a lot of these meds because of my Bipolar, Depression and anxiety. I was born in 1975 so I am just now turning 37 in a few weeks and I hate being Diabetic and having to take 1,500 mg of Metformin XL.

Take Care,

Rebekah Smith

DX February 20, 2012

1,500 mg Metformin XL

2,000 mg Cinnamon

160 mg Fenofibrate

20 mg Crestor

10 mg Zetia