drussin1
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎11-08-2012

A1C and Fasting Glucose

I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 about 5 or 6 years ago.  I used actos to bring my sugar levels down  into the 5-5.5 range but last year when I had a tooth pulled (because of a lingering abscess) my sugur levels went through the floor and I mean way low.....do into the 50s and 60s.  I learned that infections can raise your sugar levels and now that the abscess disappeared I no longer had an infection.  For the past year I have eaten better, excercized regularly and have had my glucose checked at least every three months.  My A1C has come in between 5.4 and 5.9 while my fasting glucose has come in between 114 and 143.  Am I really diabetic? 

Was I truly diabetic? 

Have I beaten Diabetes? 

I have no idea.  It seems that once diagnosed the tag stays with you forever.  My endocronologist clips me for 500 - 600 bucks annually (with insurance) and insists that I come in 4X/year.  Is this really necessary?  Is there anyone out there who can answer these questions?

Frequent Responder
Gibersor
Total Posts: 192
Registered on: ‎09-21-2012

Re: A1C and Fasting Glucose

[ Edited ]

Well the easy way to find out is to drink a can of your favorite regular sugar loaded pop and see what your bg levels do.  If you were diabetic you would still be.   There isn't any cure for diabetes, just good control.

On what basis did they diagnose you as a diabetic five years go?

Quarterly visits to your family doc for sure but quarterly visits to the endo for someone who is averaging consistent 5.x A1Cs seems excessive.  

.... Rob

Rob - Type 2 since 2005
Toronto, Canada
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: A1C and Fasting Glucose

drussin1 wrote:

I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 about 5 or 6 years ago.  I used actos to bring my sugar levels down  into the 5-5.5 range but last year when I had a tooth pulled (because of a lingering abscess) my sugur levels went through the floor and I mean way low.....do into the 50s and 60s.  I learned that infections can raise your sugar levels and now that the abscess disappeared I no longer had an infection.  For the past year I have eaten better, excercized regularly and have had my glucose checked at least every three months.  My A1C has come in between 5.4 and 5.9 while my fasting glucose has come in between 114 and 143.  Am I really diabetic? 

Was I truly diabetic? 

Have I beaten Diabetes? 

I have no idea.  It seems that once diagnosed the tag stays with you forever.  My endocronologist clips me for 500 - 600 bucks annually (with insurance) and insists that I come in 4X/year.  Is this really necessary?  Is there anyone out there who can answer these questions?

If I am reading correctly, you seem to be suggesting that a tooth abscess infection elevated your blood sugar for ~4 years, and that without that you would have had normal numbers.

But if your fasting glucose currently runs from 114-143, then you certainly do still have diabetes--one definition is fasting blood sugar over 125 on two occasions. You do seem to be at the lower end of the diabetes spectrum, however, which probably makes it easier to control than it might otherwise be, but you would be wise to continue monitoring your blood sugar and seeing your endo. Whether or not 4X/year is necessary is something to discuss with your endo. If that is his minimum schedule, and you have no other health issues that require you to see the endo,  s/he may agree that you are well controlled enough to visit a regular doctor twice a year instead of seeing the endo. You might not want to burn your bridges, however, if you think that this doctor is good, and agree that should your diabetes worsen, you would come back to the endo...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...