Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,323
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: A Who's who for our newbies

Hi, my name is Farida and I am a diabetic. :smileyhappy:  I know some people don't use that term but it makes no difference to me.  I was dx'd on Halloween 2011 and signed up two days before the dx, shows how a*al I am.  :smileytongue:

My Dr., as so many others, gave me a script for Metformin and no other info.  I even had to beg for a meter.  Off I go with knowing nothing on how to handle this or what to do next.  I became very afraid of eating anything, didn't know when to test, etc. and the members here have been so supportive, understanding and encouraging that I now have my numbers in the non-diabetic range and have lost 44lbs, so far.

Exercise has really made a big difference for me and, unfortunately, living in Florida and not being able to handle the heat that well, my trail walking days are coming to and end.  I HATE Florida summers.  :smileymad:

Since I am still fairly new, I can only speak from my short experience and I try to encourage the even newer people since I am not far ahead of them myself and still know how they feel.

Thank you, thank you all for being here, you've changed my life for the better!!!!!

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,364
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Hi, I'm Talvie a.k.a. Nancy, but call me Talvie. :smileyhappy:

I was diagnosed in December of 2000, and I came to these boards yea, many moons ago to learn as much as I could about controlling my diabetes.  I thought I was doing pretty well, then realized how much more I could do after reading the posts of many long time members.  For 11 years, I have controlled with metformin, exercise and a diabetes friendly food regimen, and I'm probably healthier now, since diagnosis, than I had been in many years.

I hail from the Valley of the Sun in Arizona (a.k.a. Hades2 - pretty sure the devil has a 480 area code), but I spent the majority of my life in Texas.  You can take the gal out of Texas, but you can't take the Texas out of the gal. ;-) 

I didn't start posting right away, but after a while, I realized that people need to know that this disease can be managed and that they don't have to be afraid.  So I'm here to let them know. :smileyhappy:

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Advisor
elyoung
Total Posts: 173
Registered on: ‎09-26-2011

I am so glad Diane started this post. It's nice to know who everyone is.

I'm Betsy, 44 years old and live with my husband and 3 furry children (cats) 12 miles inland from Mid-Coast Maine. I was DX'd in September 2011, with an A1C of 7.1 so I'm still a newbie. I've managed to lose some weight and bring my A1C down to 6.5, but I still struggle everyday with what I can eat and can't eat. It's very easy for me to get feeling down about the disease and life in general (currently on meds for depression, blood pressure and high cholasterol) and want to turn to comfort foods. I have learned so much from these boards. For me, I just have to put it all into action! I also draw strength from reading other people's posts! So, thank you all for being so supportive and helpful for those days when I feel like throwing in the towel and buring my sorrows in a chocolate cake!

Betsy

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,711
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

OK....I guess I will introduce myself.  I am kind of shy and a lurker..Not true:smileyhappy:  I have opinions and you will likely hear them from me.  My real name is Rick King and I live in Liberty, MO which is a suburb of the greater Kansas City area.  I am 52 years old, semi-retired, married to a great woman and we have one son, who is 18.  I was diagnosed almost a year ago, and think I have made great strides in my disease management. 

I am the type of person who has to know the ins and outs and whys and why nots of this disease.  If someone says something is good for diabetics...I want to know why.  I like to KNOW the how and why things work or don't work. This is why this disease frustrates me, because no one really knows why our bodies turn againist us, and our insulin stops working. 

Thanks to the many people on this board I quickly learned how to bring my BG into a normal range and have kept it their for a solid year.  I practice a low carb diet for both BG control and weight loss, and I test frequently.  My weight has dropped dramatically over the last year.  As of yesterday I have lost 102 pounds...I still want to lose an additional 60 pounds.  I know I will achieve my goal sometime this year.  Because of my control and weight loss my doctor approved me to drop the use of the basal insulin, which was one of my goals when I was first diagnosed.  I would have no qualms about restarting it, but it is nice to see some positive evidence that all the changes I have undertaken are effective in reducing my insulin resistance.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,503
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

I was dx'd in late 2006 and started looking for info.  T2 runs in my family, but I really didn't expect to "have it" for another 15 or 20 years.  I found my way here after looking at a lot of confusing locations.  I was angry, confused, upset, and very, very close to just ignoring my T2 and hoping the end wasn't too painful.  My doctor at dx was beyond terrible, gave me ancient information, bad advice, made me sick with huge doses of metformin, and just generally made things far worse than they needed to be.  I was also in an incredibly (and unnecessarily) stressful job.

But then I found this place and saw that there were people actually managing their D without giving up the enjoyment in their lives.  I got a real endochronologist who's parents are both T2 and who really takes an interest in treating the disease.  He gave me real answers without sugar coating (pardon the use of sugar) and encouraged me to follow the advice I got on here: use your meter, adjust your food as necessary based on that, get excercise, be consistent.

Then a weird thing happened: I started to feel better.  The BG that was essentially poisoning me had been making me miserable and I had no way of knowing it.  My health got better.  I came to realize that I could eat pretty well and still manage my T2.  I got a job (doing the same work) without the 'boss from hell'.  I kept hanging around here because there are some folks that make me smile and there are always interesting items being posted.  My login name has changed a couple of times because of software problems with the boards, but as it infers, God has blessed me by allowing me to live in Texas.

I wasn't going to respond to this, but then I thought maybe some newby might recognize his/her own situation in our descriptions and it might help them make the adjustment or give them some hope.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Frequent Responder
me_inGB
Total Posts: 112
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

[ Edited ]

Hello - I go by "Me in Green Bay"

I am female - diagnosed about 6 years ago at 53 years old.  I am full of arthritis/broken and fused things and this contributed to my sedentary lifestyle and I'm sure that contributed to my D2 diagnosis.  Like Morris I'm sure I had an impaired glucose system for a few years before diagnosis.  I know now that I'd go too high, then have a reactive low, then go too high....

Anyway - I was lucky to find these boards right away.  Took classes at the local hospital and had one fantastic RN Diabetes Educator there.  She was a believer in "test, review, adjust".  She and my doctor got me lots of strips so I could learn about my body and how it processes food.  I have been able to be more active than I originally thought possible and that has lead to some weight loss and better bg numbers.  I get by with 1000 mg of Metformin, grazing careful food choices (never say diet) and exercise.  As Alan says - I'm not necessarily low carb, I'm low spike.

I'm a member of the 5% club - and hope to stay there for a LONG, long time. 

I work full time as an accountant.  Like to garden in the Wisconsin non-winter months and walk my shiba breed dog.  Love dark chocolate.  This disease is hard work, never lets up, sneaky...  Just when I think I have it figured out it changes.   To newbies - don't beat yourself up.  Take it slow - one change at a time.  Give yourself credit for what you do right.  It ain't a sprint - it's a marathon.

Take care - Me in Green Bay

60 yo married woman w/FTdesk job. T2 dx'ed summer 2007. Curr A1c 5.8, Metformin 1000 mg ER. Give yourself credit for what you do right. Stay active. Eat to your meter. Laugh. Plan treats & avoid cheats.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,928
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]
:heart::heart:and walk my shiba breed dog:heart::heart:

:heart::heart::heart:

When are you going to put Rusty's picture in your avatar?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 975
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Hi!  I'm Suzie (aka Suzzzie) and I've been here for about six years.  I'm a retired bank VP and now help my husband of 41 years operate our small farm in Central Illinois.  I love to travel and am planning another trip to Germany in the not-too distant future.

I'm like many others here; when my doctor told me I had Type 2 Diabetes...I left his office in a daze, with no meter and no instructions, other than to lose weight.  I quickly found this community and followed the advice of Lizzy, Alan, Morris, Molly and so many others.  After Testing-Testing-Testing and Adjusting-Adjusting-Adjusting...I'm happy to report my latest A1c is 5.8 and I now have control of my Type 2 Diabetes.

THANK YOU to everyone here who lead me down the right path when I first arrived here. I owe that good A1c to all of you.

It's wonderful to see so many old "friends" coming back to this community!  It really is a wonderful place to be.  I wish I had more time to spend here.

My advise to the newbies...read all you can here and ask questions.  There is a wealth of information here - free for the taking.

smiley-hug008.gif

Hugggs,

Suzzzie

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006
Occasional Visitor
cncarr
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-27-2012

Hello MapleSyrup (I just love that name):  I dont know what a screen name is or how to get one maybe you could help with thatl  I'm definitely a "newbie" and that sounds sooo cute too:smileyvery-happy: I am 53 years old and was diagnosed as a diabetic about 2 years ago.  At first I didn't take the condition serious but the Mondaay after my granddaughter's first birthday and my blood sugar rose to over 500 scared me:smileysad: straight!!! I mean I want to live (with all my limbs in tact), I want to play with my grandgirls (I have 2 now) and I want to once again sit in my hubby's lap and gaze into his light brown eyes (his got beautiful laughing brown eyes). I have a lot to do and so much I want to see so I know I must lose weight and I must get my blood sugar under control.  However, with all that being said I do sooo struggle with my weight, carb counting, and what not to eat or drink.  I know I have a problem, a BIG problem because I work late hours and it's no fun exercising alone (I live in a very rural area; we have no fitness gym, Macdonald's heck we just got a Subway  lol) anyway exercising is NOT my thing.  I need a little more push to exercise but I really am trying to eat the rigfht foods and the right size servings and amounts. It's just that my blood sugar count continues to stay above 200 even with the insulin.  I know I'm doing a number of things wrong but I was thinking that becoming a member of this group I could get with some friends that could give me some encouragement, support  and advice that will HELP me get on the right tract so that I can live my "dream".

CC"Knowing The Enemy Is Half The Battle"
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,928
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

cncarr wrote:

Hello MapleSyrup (I just love that name):  I dont know what a screen name is or how to get one maybe you could help with thatl  I'm definitely a "newbie" and that sounds sooo cute too:smileyvery-happy: I am 53 years old and was diagnosed as a diabetic about 2 years ago.  At first I didn't take the condition serious but the Mondaay after my granddaughter's first birthday and my blood sugar rose to over 500 scared me:smileysad: straight!!! I mean I want to live (with all my limbs in tact), I want to play with my grandgirls (I have 2 now) and I want to once again sit in my hubby's lap and gaze into his light brown eyes (his got beautiful laughing brown eyes). I have a lot to do and so much I want to see so I know I must lose weight and I must get my blood sugar under control.  However, with all that being said I do sooo struggle with my weight, carb counting, and what not to eat or drink.  I know I have a problem, a BIG problem because I work late hours and it's no fun exercising alone (I live in a very rural area; we have no fitness gym, Macdonald's heck we just got a Subway  lol) anyway exercising is NOT my thing.  I need a little more push to exercise but I really am trying to eat the rigfht foods and the right size servings and amounts. It's just that my blood sugar count continues to stay above 200 even with the insulin.  I know I'm doing a number of things wrong but I was thinking that becoming a member of this group I could get with some friends that could give me some encouragement, support  and advice that will HELP me get on the right tract so that I can live my "dream".

Hi Cncarr, welcome aboard!

Your screen name is the one you use when you sign up, yours' now is cncarr.  If you want to change it at this point Matt will have to help you with it.  My advise would be to pick one that's easy to remember and for others to remember. 

I have a whole "newly diagnosed" section on my blog, where you will find lots of information, including the links below Testing 101 and All About Carbs, as well as lots of other things.  You can also read about this, click on the title

What Can I Eat

Reading these sections will really help to get you on the right track. :smileywink:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more