Frequent Responder
RunningBuffalo
Total Posts: 896
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Re: A Who's who for our newbies

SugarFrosted wrote:

I love this idea! Even though I am somewhat new to the ADA forums, I want to be included, if that's ok. I feel I have a lot to offer because I have been very successfully controlling with exclusively diet and exercise. 

Hello everyone, I am SugarFrosted...Anna from Little Rock, Arkansas. There might be another Anna here...not sure.  

I was diagnosed Type 2 in June 2009, and refused to take any meds. My MD asked me what was my plan. I said "Change my life" and I have. Reduced carbs and increased activity.  Took a while to convince him, but I finally have, and my labs have been within "normal" range since Autumn, 2009.  He calls me "the patient who listened." I think half of that is because he listened to me, as well.  I lost 105 lbs in the first 18 months after diagnosis, have kept it off for about 15 months, and work hard every day to keep it off in the future.  

Started out as a commercial artist (in another lifetime before computers) but hated it SO much (too competitive) that I went to nursing school. I worked as an ER/Oncology/Chemotherapy nurse for about 15 years before I started my family. 

Then I became a stay at home mom.  Started a small home business when my son was small, baking and designing cakes for parties... especially for children's birthdays. My son is 24 now, and 2500 cakes later I am still baking, though these days I don't eat my leftovers. LOL 

Welcome Anna!    Absolutely you're included!  :smileyhappy:  

Everyone is WELCOME!!!

Anna, feel WELCOME to join in ANY time! 

We have a lot in common!   It sounds like you have a really successful home business!  2500 cakes!  Wow!!!!  

I love Tea Parties!   I've actually given one that was "Diabetic Friendly".  Several of us on here like to assist with parties and several of us are frequently looking for low carb ideas!    Umm yeah - we swap low carb recipes too . . . but I will save all of the Tea Party and recipe talk for another Thread.

So glad you introduced yourself to us!  :smileyhappy:

Have a great evening!

RB

Responder
lonehorseman
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎02-11-2012

[ Edited ]

i was diagnosed January 23 of this year so am kinda new.  I am one of those "lurkers" who usually doesn't say much because I am new to this and don't have much to contribute yet.  I have learned a lot from reading these boards which has been VERY helpful.  I guess the relevant facts are I am a 33 year old male and a grad student (going to a small school in Oregon but live in the great American Southwest) with one year left (graduate in May 2013).  So far I've lost 31.5 pounds and gotten the blood sugar pretty well under control.  Really I just wanted to say hello and encourage anyone new.  With a little learning and hard work you can wrestle the diabetes beast and pin it to the mat.  It  takes discipline and effort but it can be done.

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

lonehorseman wrote:

i was diagnosed January 23 of this year so am kinda new.  I am one of those "lurkers" who usually doesn't say much because I am new to this and don't have much to contribute yet.  I have learned a lot from reading these boards which has been VERY helpful.  I guess the relevant facts are I am a 33 year old male and a grad student (going to a small school in Oregon but live in the great American Southwest) with one year left (graduate in May 2013).  So far I've lost 31.5 pounds and gotten the blood sugar pretty well under control.  Really I just wanted to say hello and encourage anyone new.  With a little learning and hard work you can wrestle the diabetes beast and pin it to the mat.  It  takes discipline and effort but it can be done.

Welcome Lonehorseman to the club no one wants to join......LOL

Coming to the forums is the first step for taking control and you have already done that, stick around and join in, what works for you may work for others .

See ya...................................Big Red................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Frequent Responder
jacksgramma00
Total Posts: 591
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Great idea!!

I was diagnosed in oct. of 09.  That weekend, they overhauled the boards, and I freaked out!!  My doctor gave me a perscription for a meter and strips, got to the store, and they asked,"which one?".  HUH????

I wasn't given ANY info from the doc. other than "go to the hospital and they have an education course".  Well, that cost $500, and my insurance wasn't going to pay a cent!

While the boards were in adjustment, I messaged one of the people who I had received a reply from.  I think it was Savgigi.

Anyway, I asked 6 million questions, read every link (thank you Lizzy and Alan!!)

By my 6 month visit, I was down 20 or so lbs., A1C down to 5.9, and things were looking good!

I hung around for about 1 1/2 years, then things got crazy on here, someone would contradict everything I was doing, so I took a break.

But my sister divas said we should come back, so here I am!

I'm Audrey, aka Jacksgramma00.

I live in south florida, west coast.

I have made soooo many friends on here, but best of all was the advice and encouragement they all give!

I even got to meet one, Fyre, (Rae), and it was the best thing I did on that vacation last year!!

I am a "CARBFREEDONIA DI

diagnosed 10/09, A1C 6.5
last A1C (in january) 5.6
total weight lost, about 50 lbs. 
Frequent Responder
jacksgramma00
Total Posts: 591

just uploaded a pic of me and rae.  it's my avatar now!!

audrey

diagnosed 10/09, A1C 6.5
last A1C (in january) 5.6
total weight lost, about 50 lbs. 
Frequent Responder
RunningBuffalo
Total Posts: 896
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

lonehorseman wrote:

Welcome Lonehorseman!

It sounds like you're doing a great job!  Congratulations!

I too hope you will feel welcome and join in any time!

Have a great day!

RB

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,795
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

[ Edited ]

lonehorseman wrote:

Like Grannyred said "stick around and maybe help some people here who have not gained the control that you have". We can always use some new ideas on how to control this thing.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

Hello!  I'm Elisabeth aka BRM from Michigan.  I love my horses, my dog and my family (most of the time :smileywink:)  My husband is my rock although he has Aspberger's Sydrome and that can require a LOT OF PATIENCE!!  :smileyhappy:  He is always willing to help me with everything I do from horses to sewing (WHAT are they telling me to do???) to keeping my diet and meds on track.

I joined years ago and then faded away.  Rejoined this past Jan 1.  This is an amazing place offering helpful suggestions, hugs and support.  I feel like it's really turned my control in the right direction...I'm not alone anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Hi all-My name is Sue Smith, my real name that is so generic I use it as my poster name, too. I live outside of Pittsburgh, PA-(Go Steelers, Go Pens!) I am a graphic designer and real estate agent.

I joined September 2011, shortly after dx-so I guess I'm a "semi-newbie"? :smileyhappy:. like everyone, frustrated and overwhelmed: "WHAT CAN I EAT????" I have found these forums so valuable, and have learned so much about managing this disease-I was so pleased with my latest blood work!  Thank you to everyone that has replied to my sometimes dumb questions, and helped me get control of my D!

My best advice for the newly diagnosed is to read all posts in the past, since there is probably a question that has been asked, and answered by someone-Also, use the search box on the upper right for keywords, if you have a specific concern-that may take you to a relevant post.

Glad I found this wonderful place for information and support, and welcome to all new people, too, sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us!

Cordially,

Sue Smith

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142

Hello, my name is LizzyLou aka Liz.

Like so many others I came to the boards originally seeking information about diabetes because I was given very little.  I read the boards for about 3 weeks before I even posted.  By that time most of my questions had been answered, even those that I didn't know I had!:smileywink:

That was over 8 years ago, and I've stuck around to help others in the same situation, as well as the friendship and support from all of the other "regulars" and new regulars.

If you'd like to know more read THIS.

One of the greatest satisfactions about being here is to see someone come here new, confused, frightened, and thinking that everything is out of control, and in a short time seeing them gain control and confidence.  This is the biggest reward.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more