Responder
rherridge
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎02-09-2013

3 weeks on Metformin and still high a.m. blood sugar

Last night my blood sugar was 126 before bed time.  This morning my fasting blood sugar was 144.  I have been back on Metformin for almost 3 weeks and have no issues during the day with blood sugar.  Mid afternoon it has been as low as 82 (usually around 96-105).  Just can not understand this and have read some people have this a.m. high blood sugar syndrome.  rh

Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 421
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Re: 3 weeks on Metformin and still high a.m. blood sugar

I'm one of those people who routinely find my AM numbers to be the highest number of the day.  Then my bedtime number will be 90 - 110.  My doctor is not alarmed over this but I do take 1 mg of Glimepiride with my evening meal and 2 mg of it with my breakfast.  This medication routine does help keep the AM numbers consistantly around 130 - 150.

I take 850 mg of Metformin AM and PM.

I am closely watched by my doctor and my Diabetic Support Team.  

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 5,659
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Hi, rherridge,

I've heard that it takes a while for metformin to "get into your system" and start showing results, so maybe you're just not seeing results just yet. You might want to wait another week or so and see if there's a change.

Another option, if you want, is to try a snack before bed (esp. if you have an early dinner). Personally, I sometimes have 8 oz of milk, a graham cracker, and a serving of fruit before bed. For years, I had this every night; now I do sometimes, sometimes not.

There may be another reason(s) for the high morning number, but it's often caused by what some call a "liver dump." That is, your BG runs low in the middle of the night, so your liver starts pumping out sugar and when you wake up, your BG is high.

Good luck!

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

rherridge wrote:

Last night my blood sugar was 126 before bed time.  This morning my fasting blood sugar was 144.  I have been back on Metformin for almost 3 weeks and have no issues during the day with blood sugar.  Mid afternoon it has been as low as 82 (usually around 96-105).  Just can not understand this and have read some people have this a.m. high blood sugar syndrome.  rh

Hi rh, it is really too early for the metformin to have much of an effect on your numbers. For many it can take a couple of months.

I am on 3x 500 mgs per day, have taken it for seven years. Even though it does help my overall numbers I still find that my morning fasting number is usually the highest of the day (as does Carleen)  The addition of a sulfonylurea much like glipizide has help a little but mostly with my after meal numbers.

Talk to your doctor about this but I would suggest that you give your metformin a little more time. For some it does help to do a little more exercise in the evening. If you are able, that might be worth a try.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Hi, rh.  You have received some excellent information in the responses prior to mine.  The high blood glucose in the morning (AKA "Liver dump") is something that some diabetics experience.   Our bodies get glucose for energy from our eating.  If there is more glucose than needed at the moment, we store glucose in our livers for future times when we need it.  We do not need much energy (and therefore don't need much glucose in our blood) when we are sleeping.  When we awake, get up, and start moving around, we need more energy, so when our bodies detect that we are close to waking, we will release glucose from our liver into our blood to provide for those energy needs.  In "normals", that glucose is metabolized by their insulin and goes into their muscles to provide the energy for movement.  In diabetics, our insulin isn't working as well, and it doesn't metabolize all that glucose, so our blood glucose levels go up.  Doctors refer to this as "Dawn Phenomena", diabetics will call it by that name or as a liver dump.  One of the ways that Metformin works is to keep the liver from dumping so much glucose.  As others have mentioned, it takes a while for Metformin to ramp up, and you are likely not getting the full effect of it yet.  The blood glucose levels you have in the morning are not alarming and are likely not causing you any harm, so I would counsel patience, it should get better as the Metformin comes up to full strength.

George

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,522
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

one question I have.. while waiting on the met is 100% needed, and you could be getting a liver dump.  What is your dinner and do you test afterwards/pre-bed/during night.  It could be a liver dump or you could be eating too much carbs at night... just something that your meter can help verify either way.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,831
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,516
Solutions: 172
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

rherridge wrote:

G'day.

Metformin is not a magic bullet. It is an aid to your primary means of controlling your blood glucose levels: an appropriate way of eating and a little daily exercise.

Please click on this, it may help you understand what is happening in the morning: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

Also, this may help you find that appropriate way of eating: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Established Advisor
billb7581
Total Posts: 470
Registered on: ‎11-27-2012

If I push my dinner back a few hours, I usually have good fasted numbers... a nighttime snack doesnt work similarily for me..

Last night due to work reasons I didn't eat until 10PM at which point I was starving and I ate 3 eggs, 2 sausage patties and a toasted sandwich thin... AM fasted reading was 93

Dx 11/25/2012
FBG 265
A1c 10.8
Metformin 1000mg
Walk daily basic compound lifts 2-3 times a week.
A1c 2/7/13 6.3
A1c 8/9/13 5.7

Currently in the 95-120 range fasted
Responder
rherridge
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎02-09-2013

Thanks for the email and response.  I am going to push my dinner back as I have been eating around 5 and snacking on almonds and fruit.  I religiously workout and I believe I will eat something in the morning before I go for my work out.  With all the awesome messages I have been receiving I may just get this figured out.  Time will tell.  rh

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

rherridge wrote:

Thanks for the email and response.  I am going to push my dinner back as I have been eating around 5 and snacking on almonds and fruit.  I religiously workout and I believe I will eat something in the morning before I go for my work out.  With all the awesome messages I have been receiving I may just get this figured out.  Time will tell.  rh

Keep experimenting until you get something that works.  We are all different, so what works for me or someone else might not work for you, and what works for you might not work for me.  The great thing about this board is we all get to chime in with what works for us, which gives you a good list of possibilities to try.  Don't be discouraged if you try a couple of things and they don't work - keep on trying things, you'll find something that works.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187