Occasional Responder
howeearl
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎01-11-2012
Helpful Response

1200 Calorie Diabetic Diet

Hello to Everyone, Here I am "the Newbie" to this forum. So, If I make a boo-boo, please be patient. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with Type2. I was flying along fat, dumb and happy and the big "A1C" caught up with me. My Doc says he wants me on a 1200 calorie Diabetic Diet.  I guess that is not the worst thing in the world, but I need help in figuring out what I can and what I cannot eat on such a diet.  I am a 73 year old male and not real good in the kitchen.  My Wife is 3 years into Alzheimer's and does not do any cooking any more.  I need to find a good meal planning guide to help me along. 

I hope your guys and/or gals can help me get something set up.  Thanks.  Earl  

Advisor
toadhunter911
Total Posts: 313
Registered on: ‎11-30-2011

Re: 1200 Calorie Diabetic Diet

howeearl wrote:

Hello to Everyone, Here I am "the Newbie" to this forum. So, If I make a boo-boo, please be patient. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with Type2. I was flying along fat, dumb and happy and the big "A1C" caught up with me. My Doc says he wants me on a 1200 calorie Diabetic Diet.  I guess that is not the worst thing in the world, but I need help in figuring out what I can and what I cannot eat on such a diet.  I am a 73 year old male and not real good in the kitchen.  My Wife is 3 years into Alzheimer's and does not do any cooking any more.  I need to find a good meal planning guide to help me along. 

Hi Earl.

Can you tell us what you do for meals now?  Do you cook for yourself or do you have someone prepare meals for you and your Wife?  Also, what type of foods do you like/eat now?

Craig

Type 2 since 09/02
A1c on 4/2009 11.7
A1c on 9/2011...7.2
Latest A1c on 1/30/2012 6.1
Metformin, Lantus, Humalog, Lovastatin, Synthroid

“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” Dorothea Lange

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,346
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,363
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

howeearl wrote:

G'day and welcome

I am not a believer in low-calorie diets that may cause harm in the short term and are unsustainable in the long term. Instead I suggest you consider making changes that you can handle without too much stress now and that can be tailored over time to a sustainable, enjoyable way of eating for the rest of your life. In that way you may be able to not only attain and maintain a healthy weight but also achieve control of your blood glucose levels.

Please read both of these (click on them): Getting Started and Weight Loss Cooking and Eating Plan

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Cordoba: Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos and Royal Stables)
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi Earl, and welcome!

Please do read the information in Alan's links - his blog holds a wealth of great ideas for simple, healthful meals and snacks.  He's also published a great little book which I'm sure you'll find reference to on his blog site - I can recommend it for some down to earth, common sense info.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,828
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,926
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

howeearl wrote:

Hi Earl,

1200 Calories doesn't sound like enough for an adult male.  You know what, doctors know very little about diets and nutrition. I'ts true although some of them think they do. :smileymad:

The thing you need to be the most aware of is counting carbs.  Often reducing the carbs causes weight loss without even counting calories.

Meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, most cheeses are normally carb free.  Most veggies are relatively low-carb as well except for things like corn and potatoes.

Where it starts getting more complicated is when you do to grains and most fruits, as well as dishes that contain ingredients like milk or breading.  They need to be watched and counted.

The links below Testing 101 and All About Carbs will tell you much more about this.  Please read them and come back and ask any questions you might have.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

[ Edited ]

I agree, 1200/day does sound awfully low for an adult male, I'd imagine you'd need at least 1500/day. Are they trying to put you on a crash diet?

I'm not sure how much activity you do in your day to day to really know tho. I also agree with lizzy, dr's don't know much on nutrition. How many calories do you normally eat? Are you trying to lose weight?

For me to maintain where I'm at, I typically eat anywhere from 1800-2100 per day. But I do workout heavy 4-5 days per week and work 25 hours as a massage therapist per week. I'm a 33year old female 5'6 143lbs with some good muscle tone. So thats just an example to give you.

I find having a crockpot to cook food makes things very easy. Do you have a crock pot?

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Occasional Responder
howeearl

Hello Craig,

Thanks for your rapid response.  I currently cook for my wife and I.  We concentrate on fish, chicken and turkey.  For breakfast I usually alternate between cheerios and packet oatmeal and a couple of slices of whole wheat dry toast.  Lunch is a salad (lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and tomato with a low calorie dressing. Supper is fish, chicken usually.  I have beans and cottage cheese.  I snack on 100 calorie packet popcorn.  That is about it.

Thanks again,

Earl  

Occasional Responder
howeearl

Thanks,

I will definitely follow up on your suggestions.

Earl

Occasional Responder
howeearl

Thank You.  I will certainly do that.  Thanks so much for your rapid response.

Occasional Responder
howeearl

Izzy,

Thanks for your rapid response.  I will certainly heed all of the advice and suggestions I have received and follow thru.

My Goodness!  My Shikba looks just like your picture.  What a wonderful animal.

Earl