type one and type 2?
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,374
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,368
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

what is the difference between

Others more learned than I will be along to expand on this.

I'll keep it brief. This is very simplistic and I am more than happy to be corrected by any who follow. Keep in mind that I am just a (type 2) diabetic, not a biochemist.

Type 1 diabetes is a condition usually caused by an auto-immune attack on the person's system by their own immune system, leading to eventual total loss of insulin production by the pancreas.

A type 1, after the initial honeymoon period when some insulin production continues, must inject insulin to transport glucose to their cells or they will die.

Type 2 diabetes is a complex condition of many parts. It can include any combination of insulin resistance; signalling pathway faults in the insulin production, glycogen release or other endocrine system processes; or beta cell loss. The cause of type 2 is still not completely clear but it appears to be genetic because there is a strong tendency towards type 2 diabetes in the off-spring, or second-generation off-spring of type 2 diabetics. That genetic fault is starting to be seen as not only a factor in type 2 diabetes but also in a tendency towards obesity in many of those who may later develop type 2.

Because both types of diabetes lead to disruption of the smooth management of our blood glucose systems we tend to have some common "complications" as a consequence; nasty things such as the 'pathy sisters (retino-, neuro- and nephro-) or heart problems can affect either type. In both types the likelihood of those complications appears to be significantly reduced if good blood glucose control can be maintained over long periods. Actually, there is some dispute about that but I'll keep trying to keep good control myself.

However, because of the aspect of insulin resistance, management of type 2 can be quite different to management of type 1 with different dietary, insulin and medication regimens.

As I said, I won't get upset if others come along later and correct me. Provided they can do so nicely and with some sort of support if they disagree

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
metformin 1500mg, d&e
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Low Carb Crustless Quiche)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Buenos Aires, Argentina )
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Volubilis, an Ancient Roman Site in Morocco)
Responder
jenningsa88
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎09-29-2010

I just wanted to add that Type 1 was originally called Juvenile diabetes due to the fact that the majority of diagnosis' are made when the individual is a child. For example, I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 12 years old, and went to a summer camp for diabetics, which the majority of us children were Type 1 diabetics.

In many cases, Type 2 can be prevented if caught early and the individual follows the diet and exercise regiman. Type 1 is genetic all the way. When I was diagnosed I did not have the option of taking pills and such, but rather immediately started on insulin injections and a year later had an insulin pump. A commanality between the two is that diet and exercise can have a very positive impact on the control of each disease.
Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Actually, type 2 cannot be prevented.  I am not aware of any evidence that once the carb intolerance of diabetes has emerged that you can "cure" it.  There have been studies that show that when you catch your diabetes early, you can manage it with diet and exercise, possibly forever.   But I don't believe that is a cure, go back to your USDA/DRI recommended and blammo, bad blood sugars.   Many of the studies such as LOOK AHEAD are fundamentally flawed.  I don't believe there is  such a thing as "prediabetes."  You are either diabetic or not and you are either well controlled or not.  In my view, diabetes appears to be forever.

T1 and T2 both certainly have a genetic connection, but it would be wrong to say they are genetic.  Having a parent that is T1 or T2 affects your chances of getting diabetes, but it does not determine everything.  MODY is genetic, and being autosomal dominant defines precisely your chances of getting the condition.  It is thought that a lot of what drives T1 and T2 is other factors like environment.  Dan Hurley in the book "Diabetes Rising" examines some of these factors.
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750

The original definition of “juvenile” diabetes included young adults up to the age of 24. I was diagnosed right around the time that they changed the terminology from juvenile to Type 1. I was 24 at the time and just squeezed into that category. There are also more and more older adults being diagnosed as Type 1. That was part of the reasoning behind the name change. I recently posted an article by Ira Hirsch discussing Medicare not being ready for the on slot of seniors with Type 1. That article also mentioned a guy in his 80s diagnosed with Type 1.

http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=101982

Type 1 diabetes is generally diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. Scientists do not yet know exactly what causes type 1 diabetes, but they believe that autoimmune, genetic, and environmental factors are involved.

jenningsa88 says:
I just wanted to add that Type 1 was originally called Juvenile diabetes due to the fact that the majority of diagnosis' are made when the individual is a child. For example, I was diagnosed with Type 1 when I was 12 years old, and went to a summer camp for diabetics, which the majority of us children were Type 1 diabetics.

In many cases, Type 2 can be prevented if caught early and the individual follows the diet and exercise regiman. Type 1 is genetic all the way. When I was diagnosed I did not have the option of taking pills and such, but rather immediately started on insulin injections and a year later had an insulin pump. A commanality between the two is that diet and exercise can have a very positive impact on the control of each disease.

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Actually while there is a peak in incidence rate for children around the age of puberty, type 1 happens at any age.  The rate declines somewhat with age, but it pretty much hits all ages with impunity.  Like puberty, pregnant women are also vulnerable to type 1 at higher rates
alan_s

In many cases, Type 2 can be prevented if caught early and the individual follows the diet and exercise regiman. Type 1 is genetic all the way.

As you've seen, "Type 2 can be prevented if caught early" is a fairly controversial statement in the type 2 group. Actually, both statements are.

The genetic factor in T1 is there, but less definite than it is in T2. Ask the people on this T1 forum how many had parents or grand-parents with T1? Some, but I suspect it was not the majority. On the T2 forum it is rare to meet someone whose parent or grand-parent was not also T2.

A good diet and exercise regimen is sound advice for all, but it remains to be proven that it will prevent type 2. There has never been a paper to support that, regardless of the "common sense" feeling of the statement. That is a surprising fact rarely mentioned in the media. I still intend to follow a good d&e regimen myself, but in hope, not certainty, that it will improve my long-term prospects.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
metformin 1500mg, d&e
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Low Carb Crustless Quiche)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Buenos Aires, Argentina )
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Volubilis, an Ancient Roman Site in Morocco)
Valued Contributor
ajsammycat
Total Posts: 952

Alan,

>> In many cases, Type 2 can be prevented if caught early and the individual follows the diet and exercise regiman. Type 1 is genetic all the way. <<

Type 1 is not as heritable -- i.e. capable of being passed from parent to child via the genes -- as type 2 is. The concordance rate for type 2 dms in monozygotic (identical) twins barrels in on 100%, depending on the researcher, whereas the conconrdance rate for type 1s and identical twins is 50%. What that means is if you have type 2 diabetes and you have an identical twin, it is practically a given that your twin will develop type 2 dm, but if you're the identical twin of someone with type 1 diabetes, you've only got a 50/50 chance of developing it. If that doesn't suggest the strong, genetic component of type 2 diabetes, I don't know what does.

What it also suggests is that there is a moderate genetic component to type 1. When even identical twins are not guaranteed to get the exact same disease, there's got to be something else going on that is causing the problem. It's that fact that led researchers to postulate the viral hypothesis as a possible explanation for type 1 dm. Once they found antibodies in newly dx'ed type 1s, that pretty much sealed the deal.

Angela
alan_s

With this new system quotes are a pain. Jennings wrote the sentence you were attributing to me.