Responder
too_sweet
Total Posts: 37
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

night sweats

Does any other type 1 wake up and begin sweating or wake up in a sweat, disorientated and feeling like they've had too much benedryl? When I stumble and grab my meter, my readings have been in the normal range but sometimes I just can't wake myself enough or orient myself to take my BG.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,418
Topics: 315
High Fives: 708
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74

night sweats

I haven't sweated in soooo long, I wouldn't know what it is like anymore.

This is an indicator, though, that you probably had a hypo, especially if you couldn't get awake enough to test. For those times that you did test, you were probably past the hypo.

I sometimes think, that the hypo signals, come after  the hypo, for some folks.

There are also other causes for waking up sweaty during the night.

Trisha - hypo aware long gone

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
Dennis1947
Total Posts: 813

night sweats

Well, When I wake up like that, I don't even bother Testing.. I keep some Candy bars ( 3 Musketeers Mini Bars)  on the Night table and take one.. Each has 10 carbs..and for that's about 50 pts.
It's just a natural Reaction now  after yrs of Getting hypo's ..
 They are easy to swallow and just melt in my mouth.. hardly no chewing..

If in doubt , take some.. Better to be High than Low..

I use MDI and use Levimire..so it is rare I go Hypo over nite , but it has happened when I go to bed High and Took a CB of NLog..

If persist  going Hypo over nite, and if taking a Bedtime Basal, I reduce it by 20% and set my alarm for 3-4 hrs after going to bed for awhile until your confident As best possible not going to low anymore.. I increase it back up again in 10% increaments every couple of days until I get back to getting up in 100-130 range again. ( which I ave 4 out of 7 days wk )

I prefer to allow a higher Over nite BG and strive for lower BG's while I am awake

Responder
too_sweet

night sweats

Thanks, I use levemir too. Small dose split ( 4 units: 6 am and 6 units: 6 pm)  I haven't "caught" a low. Usually about 108 even just reaching bedside table to test. Grogginess and drugged feeling doesn't happen as much (feel that is genuine low)  but sweats almost everytime I sleep. Just as waking and then breaking a sweat confined to neck and chest. Just annoying more than anything. Has happened fairly consistently since diagnosis  5 years ago.  
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,608
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

night sweats

have you had your doctor check for anything else.  Not everything is always related to D... I don't even  like when doctors do that..  Also, how high do you run after dinner?  It could be that you are not low, but just have come down a lot from a high.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Occasional Contributor
irockat50
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎04-02-2011

night sweats

I've found that my meter readings don't always jibe with what my body is actually doing or how I feel. I have hypoglycemic unawareness. It takes awhile for the meter readings to catch up (say about 20 min.) with what the blood glucose is doing. I also just had a BG meter malfunction recently. So you might try checking with a different meter. Your symptoms definitely sound like a low, but of course there's always other possibilities. I hope you are able to find an answer.
Responder
too_sweet

night sweats

Thanks, my doctor thinks its lows as well. Guess its time to be more diligent. Was gettin a little to comfortable with the status but A1C is edging up and control not as tight. Still good but probably due to too many lows when I sleep. ;o)
trisha01

night sweats

Do you, by chance, know what your Standard Deviation, is? That % will tell you, if you are having a lot of lows to go with the highs.

I agree with the one that said, you could have just been high, and had a huge drop.

Are you on a cgm? The lag time of which Irock50 spoke of, does vary. I believe that to be true as well, for just meter use.

Trisha

Trisha

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Responder
too_sweet

night sweats

Thanks, I'll check my standard deviation. Forgot about that . I didn't realize that the meter could lag behind by so much but makes sense. I do sweat with rapid change; hi or low. This disease is sneaky, just when you think you are somewhat stable.... BAM and something else is to be mastered. Always something...... but beats the alternative!
trisha01

night sweats

You know, I thought of something else, after my last post above. Check your meter manual. It may show that your meter is plasma equivalent. If this is the case, then there wouldn't be a lag time, as I understand the plasma vs capillary stuff. I could be wrong, and if so, someone will surely chime in. :smileyhappy: >> One or more of our current or past  T1 members is a lab tech. My newest meter is plasma equivalent.

Trisha
~ delayed on posting this (interrupted by doorbell) now 1249 central time

Trisha