Responder
Julieindelta
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

disposing of old meters

Over the years, I have accumulated a collection of blood glucose meters.  Does anyone know how I should dispose of them?  My pharmacy told me to throw them in the garbage but I just don't feel right doing that.  I am from Canada and I can't seem to find any recycling facilities that will take them.  Thanks for the help.

JulieM

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,240
Topics: 303
High Fives: 653
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: disposing of old meters

Julie in Delta,

Not being in Canada, I've no idea how things work there. However, my town has recently started a one or two days a year, recycling event, for all electronics and related objects. You could call the mfg. of the meters, and ask them how to dispose of the meters.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
Dennis1947
Total Posts: 808
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Ditto on cking your local Disposal Programs

You can call the Mfg. co. and ask them

I just took mine Apart and Into Pieces and Throw them out..

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,170
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Im curious why you dont feel right just throwing them away?
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Regular Visitor
Tim-N3QE
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎10-10-2011

I'm not the OP, but on the difficulty simply trashing old meters:

My first meter cost a couple hundred bucks out of my dad's pocket. My next meter cost a couple hundred bucks out of MY pocket, when I was in college. This was 30 years ago when a couple hundred bucks would buy a working used car.

Today's throw-away world is hard to get used to sometimes. I intellectually agree that yeah, meters are cheap (or sometimes free) these days. But in my head they are so important that somehow they should not be mentally disposed of all that easy. Even though they are way tinier than my first meter (which was about the size of a shoebox! The second was closer to a hardback book.)

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,432
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

I agree with checking with the town.  But you may want to ask the question about old portable radios... The person you ask my understand that, better than a glucose meter... You need to recycle a small electronic item.. all they can probably handle

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
Julieindelta
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Thanks everyone for the info.  I hate to throw them in the garbage because they are still usable, just not compatable with my pump, and they are just one more thing that pollute our environment and should be disposed of in the most green way possible.  Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

JulieM

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,432
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Understnad your feelings.  But considering the blood contact, i don't think you are going to find many places that will recycle them and actually give them to another diabetic.  Considering you can get them for free pretty easily, I don't think I would want a strangers old meter. 

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1