Super Advisor
marymary
Total Posts: 1,170
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Vinegar?

Acid foods like vinegar and lemon juice are supposed to lower the glycemic index of foods, so it makes perfect sense. Balsamic vinegar is good, but you do have to read the bottles and get one with low carb content. Being from Canada, I love vinegar on french fries but never think about it because it is not on the tables at restaurants here. I guess you could use a straw if you were worried about your teeth, but if you are eating right after, I don't think it would cause any damage.
Mary, mom to Michael and Melissa, both Type 1
Michael is an adult, living on his own and using a CGM and MDI
Melissa is also an adult, with an intellectual disability, therefore she needs lots of help managing her diabetes. She uses an Omnipod pump and Dexcom CGM
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Vinegar?

Being from Canada, I love vinegar on french fries but never think about it because it is not on the tables at restaurants here.

OMG! Vinegar on french fries?!?!?! Ewweee!!!!!!!!!
Established Advisor
sis59
Total Posts: 928
Registered on: ‎12-12-2009

Vinegar?

Timsma (10/18/2010)
"Being from Canada, I love vinegar on french fries but never think about it because it is not on the tables at restaurants here."

I grew up on the coast of Maine; I remember going to Old Orchard Beach and they sold french fries on the wharf and the vendors would put vinegar out for people to put on their fries. Maybe it was because so many Canadians vacationed there....

-Sue
Type 1, diagnosed at age 38
OmniPod pump using Apidra insulin
Dexcom CGM

My adult son was diagnosed type 1 at age 4
MiniMed Revel pump and CGM
Apidra insulin
Established Advisor
Angua
Total Posts: 787
Registered on: ‎04-02-2010

Vinegar?

Timsma (10/18/2010)
"Being from Canada, I love vinegar on french fries but never think about it because it is not on the tables at restaurants here."

Don't knock it till you've tried it!! Being a Brit, I love the vinegar on my french fries too. Might have to ask for some next time and see what that does to blood sugars...
Contributor
acidrock23
Total Posts: 1,362

Vinegar?

Hmm, it might be handy to have the vinegar *with* the french fries like that, sort of to buzz the edge off of them? I'm not a huge fan of that although MrsAcidRock is. I have just been having a shot the last couple mornings. I forgot today but will have one tonight before I settle in for some MNF, chips, beer, etc.
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750

Vinegar?

angua (10/18/2010)
Timsma (10/18/2010)

Don't knock it till you've tried it!! Being a Brit, I love the vinegar on my french fries too. Might have to ask for some next time and see what that does to blood sugars...

I agree, you need to try them Kara! I can�t remember where I had them (I am thinking maybe the Renaissance Faire) but they were really good.

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Long Lost Member
mommasan
Total Posts: 59
Registered on: ‎05-15-2010

Vinegar?

I LOVE malt vinegar on french fries! I haven't had it since I was a kid and it's certain that I'll dream of them tonight.
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750

Vinegar?

mommasan (10/18/2010)
I LOVE malt vinegar on french fries! I haven't had it since I was a kid and it's certain that I'll dream of them tonight.

Just don't go sleep walking trying to find them!

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,202
Topics: 302
High Fives: 637
Blog Posts: 61
Solutions: 71

Vinegar?

sis59 (10/18/2010)
Timsma (10/18/2010)

I grew up on the coast of Maine; I remember going to Old Orchard Beach and they sold french fries on the wharf and the vendors would put vinegar out for people to put on their fries. Maybe it was because so many Canadians vacationed there....

Kara. you really ought to try them! They are fantastic!

Mary, when I make homemade french fries, I just sprinkle some vinegar on them. Yummy!

Sue, Old Orchard is where I had my very first try with them! I was in NH on a work assignment (before I moved there). Yummy Yum Yum!

All, regarding apple cider vinegar...my daughter taught me this trick. For fresh veggies and some fruits,soak in the apple cider vinegar for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly a time or two. Gets rid of all the yuckies, and they are then nice and clean. No, there is no vinegar taste residue on them.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Vinegar?

I'm quite sure I'll NEVER try vinegar on my french fries. Just not daring enough. I did used to put a tsp of vinegar in my kids mouths though if they said naughty words when they were younger, lol! They hated it,,,,as would I.