aurorabori
Total Posts: 41
Registered on: ‎07-15-2010

Type 1-Mood Swings

Anyone out there experiencing Mood Swings due to having diabetes? I have recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago, and I am having terrible mood swings, and unfortunatly they are directed towards the people I love!! My Glucose levels have been up and down, but mostly up, and the doctor is still adjusting my insulin, but is there anything I can do to try to get a grip?

Kindest Regards,
Lori
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Type 1-Mood Swings

stabilizing your blood sugars will go a long way to getting back to center, your body is stressing out because your on a roller coaster up down up down , at least when you were un diagnosed you were probably just fatigued all the time from being just high.

so the quicker you can maintain 80-120 as a goal the quicker you will get to feeliing better, and this will keep reaccuring when you start that path of high to low.

and your doc shouldn't be trying to figure your basals out it is a simple math problem which those more savvy than myself know the equation, but essentiaslly it is based off of weight and amount consumed. if you can fgigure your equation you will have a better grasp of where to start your long acting insulin levels at.

hope that helps some and didn't really just confuse you.
aurorabori

Type 1-Mood Swings

Thank you!

The doctor just put me on the Basal at night and ,first thing in the morning, so hopefully this will make a difference. I also give my self insulin before each meal. I feel like I am going a little crazy!! But, it sounds like this is normal with the Highs and Lows I am going through.

Best,
Lori
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,177
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

I'm fascinated by this topic. Growing up, I never directly associated my mood swings to diabetes (pre-glucose meters, so I never saw the direct relation to highs, just to lows. As in, "I DO NOT NEED TO EAT SOMETHING, I"M JUST ANGRY!" when sure enough I needed to eat something )

Then my younger brother became friends with a Type 1 in college and asked if mood swings were a side effect. The 2 moodiest people he had ever met happened to have T1. Hmm....

Then a little girl in our school was diagnosed one summer. In hindsight, her teachers said the only change was her incredible moodiness that spring.

Really stabilizing my blood sugars in the last 2 years has made a big difference. (I believe the Vit D has too)
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Long Lost Member
n3qe-tim
Total Posts: 377
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

jeremiah81 (7/15/2010)

and your doc shouldn't be trying to figure your basals out it is a simple math problem which those more savvy than myself know the equation, but essentiaslly it is based off of weight and amount consumed. if you can fgigure your equation you will have a better grasp of where to start your long acting insulin levels at.

The "equation" is hardly mathematically precise. I would call it a "rule of thumb", and may easily be off by a factor of two or four. Especially for someone with some remaining beta cell action the doc may be turning up the doses very very slowly. It's frustrating for me to see the slow-motion changes but that's only because I'm so comfortable with dialing my own doses up and down.
aurorabori

Type 1-Mood Swings

I am just putting the puzzle pieces together, I have been moody since childhood, along with several infections, and not one doctor picked up on it until now. I feel really bad, my nick name ended up being Tude, short for attitude! Thanks for sharing your stories, it helps me feel a bit less crazy, and helps me understand that I might see an end in sight for the moodiness.

Thanks for sharing,
Lori
Long Lost Member
still_young_at_heart
Total Posts: 351
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

Hi Lori,

I hope your numbers begin to stabilize soon and that the improvement helps level you out but I'd let your endo know that you think you're having trouble with mood swings and that it might have to do with not yet getting your blood sugars under basic control. Maybe that will encourage your doc to work a little more aggressively in order to limit your distress.

Good luck,

Maurie
Maurie
Diagnosed T1 1/2007 at the age of 57
Pumping humalog with a Deltec Cozmo
Super Advisor
Dennis1947
Total Posts: 808
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

Well, One other reason?
Not fully accepting this Damn disease.. ( I still don't after 17 yrs and Hate it, but Getting Angry for me , helps me Fight it stronger )

And Not Being in some kind of decent Control Yet.. We all like to be in control of things.. when we aren't? aniexity takes over..

You can "help" your Endo along by getting better Educated..

1. Get the Book> Think Like a Pancrease

and just read it , line by line, page by page several Times.. Focusing on Each Chapter and subject and Feel Free to come in here to discuss it out..Fine Tuning your Situation and Planning ahead..

Combined with What the Book provides and your own experiences , you will start to See faster and better results and thus Feel more In control of things..

Do Not just depend on your Medical People.. Most of us found doing most of it on our own was best for us and just using our Medical people along the way..for advice and opinions..

Stick around, we have some very nice people in here to help you thru your journey..

Responder
Julieindelta
Total Posts: 31
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

Hi Lori:

I haven't read all the posts in reply to your message but once you BG's stabalize, you will feel less moody. I was dx. with T1 5 years ago and I have managed to get things under really good control but find that my sugar goes high when under emotional stress and gradually gets higher each day in the last 2 weeks of my menstrual cycle. Each month is different but I usually use 50% more basal insulin in the last week of my cycle than at the beginning of my cycle. I use a pump and have found that my highs are easier to correct now than when on injections. Anyways, my point being that in addition to high blood sugars, your menstrual cycle may be affecting your moods as well, something I never noticed before getting diabetes. Something to consider when talking to your doctor....... Take care,

JB DX T1 November 2005
Long Lost Member
type1er
Total Posts: 128
Registered on: ‎12-21-2009

Type 1-Mood Swings

Lori, I too was diagnosed recently (about 9 months ago). I pretty rapidly got the hang of keeping my BGs in control from reading the heck out of these forums and websites/books/etc. that were recommended by people here. My advice: Read everything you can get your hands on, learn the rules, and give everything you got to keep your BGs at near normal level. It's like exercise. It's not pleasant in the short term, but the way you feel in the long term makes it worth it. I'm not sure if there's a biological effect of high blood-glucose that causes mood changes, but I can tell you that during the periods that I feel my control is not as it should be, I feel guilty and scared that I am doing damage to my body, which results in a more negative frame of mind.

Edit: Re-read this and I just want to clarify that I don't think you're not doing your best to keep things under control. It can be tough, but you will get it.