Occasional Contributor
DJCynic
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎04-14-2012

Type 1 Insulin Resistance

Hello! I am 27 years old, and have had Type 1 Diabetes for 25 years - DX May 1987. Recently I have been noticing that when I take my Novolog, I develop a large hive where I took my insulin (I've been using the same insulin, same needle, same pen for years), AND, I have noticed a slight increase in my A1c. My last reading 3 months ago was 6.9. I got my most recent results yesterday, and now I am at 7.1 with no dietary or activity/lifestyle changes.

I'm just curious, but has anyone else wit Type 1 ever experienced this? I'm a little worried.:smileysad:

Dx Type 1 May 1987
Complications = 0
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,394
Topics: 314
High Fives: 693
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 74
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Type 1 Insulin Resistance

[ Edited ]

DJCynic wrote:

Hello! I am 27 years old, and have had Type 1 Diabetes for 25 years - DX May 1987. Recently I have been noticing that when I take my Novolog, I develop a large hive where I took my insulin (I've been using the same insulin, same needle, same pen for years), AND, I have noticed a slight increase in my A1c. My last reading 3 months ago was 6.9. I got my most recent results yesterday, and now I am at 7.1 with no dietary or activity/lifestyle changes.

I'm just curious, but has anyone else wit Type 1 ever experienced this? I'm a little worried.:smileysad:

DJ,

If you have started developing a hive after injecting your insulin, chances are you have developed an allergy of some sort. You really want to call your doctor on this issue. After awhile, the body sometimes develops a sensitivity, to what is supposed to help it. After years of taking a 4x daily penicillen for a heart issue, I developed an allergy of sorts to it, and can no longer take certain antibiotics.

We did have a long time member a few years ago, that did develop an allergy to insulin itself. This person didn't come back when the platform changed in 2009, so no idea as to how her team managed that. I do think though, that she posted one time before the platform changeover, that her insulins were bring changed.

With that small of an increase in your A1c, I don't think there is very much insulin resistance at all. Just that you probably had some higher numbers the last few weeks, before that A1c.

Do call your doctor tomorrow (Monday), about this hive at injection site issue. Try not to worry. Your doctor can handle this and get you squared away.

Welcome to the group!

Trisha 

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~