Long Lost Member
thebolt1973
Total Posts: 75
Registered on: ‎04-23-2010

Type 1 Diabetic and Weight Loss

Hello all,

This is my first time posting as I have been a member for about 4 months or so but have not visited the site very often due to my major denial of my diabetes diagonosis. I will say this though, it is a pretty good site and hope to meet people that are in my situation. So a quick backdrop, if I may?

I am 36 years old and in March of 2009 I had a major pancreatic episode and was taken to the ER. Well, I found out that I had a gallstone that became stuck in my pancreatic duct and therefore, it caused 5 major pseudo-cysts on my pancreas. I was in the ICU for 1 1/2 months and surgery to remove the gallbladder and drain the cysts. Sadly, I became a Type 1 Diabetic due to the major damage to my pancreas. While I have what is considered "chronic panreatitis", I have not had an episode for 6 months and I take enzymes that allow me to break-down the food I eat. Now my major problem is that I CANNOT GAIN WEIGHT for the life of me.

Before I got sick I weighed 210 pounds and now I am around 160 pounds. I look so skinny, it is depressing. I will say that my lowest weight was 125 pounds (it was ugly) about 5 months ago. I had (well, still having, but much better) a very hard time getting my glucose under control since I had the diagnosis. My Dr. finally sent me to the Endocrinologist and he switched my types and amounts of insulins I need to take. This has helped regulate my sugar better and I am not getting the 400mg/dl readings I was getting before the swich but still cannot gain weight.

So I guess besides introducing myself, I am asking if any of you have had the problem with weight due to your diabetes and what, if anything were you able to do?

Thanks for taking time to read and God Bless.
Contributor
pinkmama
Total Posts: 120
Registered on: ‎07-14-2010

Hey! I too had weight loss, and at first it was awesome! lol I had a one year old baby and that weight that hangs around and it just melted off. Within a few months I had lost 50 pounds, but by then my dr was worried about it. But what was I supposed to do? I was supposed to exercise, and I couldn't eat anything! Unexplained weight loss was one of the reasons I went into the dr to get checked. After a year, my pancreas freaked out and I went on insulin. 40 of those 50 pounds quickly came back, and it was awful. I would have been ok with 20. Now I'm starting to loose a little weight again. I think everyone is so different and when one organ fails, it makes the others work harder and different. I wish I had a magical cure! Just hang in there! I was in super denial for a while too. I still go into denial every once in a while!
Frequent Responder
t1forever
Total Posts: 175
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I have been diabetic almost 47 years, and had been rolling along with few problems (and not really taking the care I should have) until 10 years ago. When I really started to do the right thing, I lost 75 pounds, which was great for me. It comes mostly from being afraid to put anything in your mouth. I was traveling a lot for work, and really had to cut back what I ate.

Then I went on a pump (about 7 years now) and had more freedom to eat foods than when on MDI. Actually, in the last few motnths, I have gained about ten pounds, which is not good.

Once you get your blood glucose and A1C in shape, it will also help. Continually running high BGs will impact your weight. Once regulated, you should see a difference.

Learn how to count carbs, and make good food choices, and don't starve yourself. It will take time to get this all in hand, but keep working on it. It will make a real difference.
Long Lost Member
still_young_at_heart
Total Posts: 351
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the boards. I lost about 20 lbs when I was first diagnosed and lost another 5 over the next 18 months or so and have worked very hard to put back on about half the weight. I've found that nuts and olive oil are crucial to my ability to gain weight. I use a lot of olive to cook and on salads. I eat about 48 grams of peanut butter each morning, use sunflower seeds on salads and snack on almonds. Even with all of that (healthy) fat weight gain has been very slow.

You've put back 35 pounds already and almost half the weight you originally lost so I wouldn't despair at getting back to something closer to where you started. You also have to realize that running high makes it harder to gain weight. Any calories that spill over into your urine are lost and gone forever.

Good luck with getting everything under good control. We are all running marathons; it sure isn't a sprint!

Take care,

Maurie
Maurie
Diagnosed T1 1/2007 at the age of 57
Pumping humalog with a Deltec Cozmo
Long Lost Member
thebolt1973

Thank you for your insight. I will admit I was not being serious about my glucose until recently, even though I was hospitalized twice due to DKA. That was no fun at all. I felt like I could not get any oxygen and was very confused along with passing out. Well, after the second time I decided to start taking it serious. My blood sugars would be in the 400's all the time and since I have seen the endocrinologist, they have improved greatly. I still have problems with my glucose being in the 200's when I wake up even though I take Levemir before bed. I see the endocrinologist on Friday and hope he will increase the levemir and maybe start taking it twice day instead of just once at night. I feel better reading alot of the older posts on the boards here, knowing there are alot of people like me out there is a slight salve on the wound that is diabetes. Take care
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

When I read your post, I had the same thoughts as Maurie about the nuts & peanut butter. Like everyone said, once you get your BS in control, it will be a little easier to put back some weight.

Some good books to get tips on managing BS are Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Using Insulin by John Walsh.

Sounds like you should do some basal testing. The prescribing info for Levemir does not have it last a full 24 hours so most people do split it - I will put the link below for the prescribing information. When I took Levemir, it only lasted 7 hours for me so I took it 3 times a day. I knew that by doing basal testing. With basal testing, you should be able to take your Levemir without eating or taking fast acting insulin & your BS should not go up or down by more than 30 points. You can also find out how long it lasts for you.

http://www.novomedlink.com/pdf/pi/131259-Lev-Full-Prof-PI-9-25-07.pdf

Pharmacodynamics
Insulin detemir is a soluble, long-acting basal human insulin analog with a relatively
flat action profile.The mean duration of action of insulin detemir ranged from 5.7 hours
at the lowest dose to 23.2 hours at the highest dose (sampling period 24 hours).

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Long Lost Member
thebolt1973

Kelly,

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to get the book "Think Like A Pancreas". Sounds like something I should read. Honestly, I know nothing about basal testing as I have only seen the Endocrinologist once. I see him Friday and will ask him about these things I have on my mind. Much appreciated.

Tim
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Timothy Rainbolt (8/2/2010)
Kelly,

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to get the book "Think Like A Pancreas". Sounds like something I should read. Honestly, I know nothing about basal testing as I have only seen the Endocrinologist once. I see him Friday and will ask him about these things I have on my mind. Much appreciated.

Tim

Chances are even if you have seen the endo more than once, they would not bother telling you about basal testing. I was diabetic 24 years when I found this board & never heard of it before coming here. Last summer, I saw an endo and he seemed surprised I even knew what it was when I mentioned doing it. When I did my pump training last month, the trainer also seemed surprised that I did that.

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Established Advisor
Angua
Total Posts: 787
Registered on: ‎04-02-2010

kellywpa (8/3/2010)
Timothy Rainbolt (8/2/2010)
Kelly,

Tim

Chances are even if you have seen the endo more than once, they would not bother telling you about basal testing. I was diabetic 24 years when I found this board & never heard of it before coming here. Last summer, I saw an endo and he seemed surprised I even knew what it was when I mentioned doing it. When I did my pump training last month, the trainer also seemed surprised that I did that.

Yeah, my endo told me to check blood sugars in the middle of the night to ensure that the basal dose was right (he's a T1, his daughter and my CDE is also a T1), but everything else that I learnt about basal testing, I learnt from this board and Think Like a Pancreas. I'm surprised that this stuff isn't better explained...
Long Lost Member
thebolt1973

You are so right. Unless you find the right Doctor, you do not get alot of information from them. I cannot believe the stuff I am learning just by reading the information on this site. the message boards have been very helpful. My regular Doctor had me on the worst type of insulin (according to the endocrinologist) for my situation. I was wondering why I could not get my blood sugar to ever come down below 300 and it was in the 400's all the time. Well, my private Doctor had me on a 70/30 and that was it. He told me to take 4 units before I ate and that was it. I didn't know anything about it and trusted he knew what he was doing so I did what he said. Well, after a while and no improvement and another hospitalization for DKA...he suggested me seeing a Endo. The Endo changed my insulin that visit. I now take Levemir before bedtime and Novalog before meals and a sliding scale for high sugars. Before that, it was 4 units at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No wonder I felt like crap. I am feeling so much better now and feel that my weight is gonna come now that I am getting my sugar under control. This site has been a great help, so thank you everyone.

Tim