Long Lost Member
brausa
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-02-2011

Type 1 Diabetes and CDL

I was recently rejected at a CDL course training school, because of my type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) According to the recruiters, the DOT physical exam will disqualify me, so they sent me home the first day, I was being honest while filling out the forms of course, I've never lied before about my condition and I was never refused a job or other benefits, I immediately went home and did some research regarding their exam and the physical requirements needed and Yes, indeed, it confirmed what they told me at the school, now I am very confused since the literature found on this site regarding discrimination tells another story.. How should I go around this? How and Where can I get more information?

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/employment-discriminati...
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Type 1 Diabetes and CDL

Yep, you can't hold a CDL. The Feds do the discrimination. I was a school bus driver. Had to give mine up. For some people, in some states, if you never ever go low, can prove that, there is a teensy chance you might get it. You could call your local ADA, they could help you
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
tybolt
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-25-2014

Re: Type 1 Diabetes and CDL

you can obtain a medical exemption from FMCSA by having your endo fill out a form. check the federal motor carriers saftey administrations website for the type 1 medical exemption. i belive it became law when clinton was in office. you will also have to see a optomitrist. it is a pain in the @ss though  because you need quarterly checkups documented and sent to them. hope this helps! keep your head up!

Super Advisor
bentredrider
Total Posts: 1,318
Registered on: ‎11-05-2012

brausa wrote:
I was recently rejected at a CDL course training school, because of my type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) According to the recruiters, the DOT physical exam will disqualify me, so they sent me home the first day, I was being honest while filling out the forms of course, I've never lied before about my condition and I was never refused a job or other benefits, I immediately went home and did some research regarding their exam and the physical requirements needed and Yes, indeed, it confirmed what they told me at the school, now I am very confused since the literature found on this site regarding discrimination tells another story.. How should I go around this? How and Where can I get more information?

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/employment-discriminati...

This is another important reason for D's to keep an accurate scientific log.  Document.  Just HAVING THE DOCUMENTATION is prima facia evidence that you are a serious, competent, in control person with a controlled condition.  If you have no records....  then you not only have no evidence written in a timely manner, You don't APPEAR to be in control.  If you didn't write the facts down every day THEN YOU DON"T HAVE THE APPEARANCE of being serious.

Start soon keep a log, book.  In general the feds can't bar you from a job because a doctor checked a box on a paper UNLESS you fail to provide evidence (the log book might be part of this)  That delineates, what superb control you have when "you are on duty"

You want to ask me how I know?  first hand personal experience.  Without the documentation IT NEVER HAPPENED.

the legal branch of the ADA can help you I'm sure.  Without my log book I have no idea how I would understand my condition or treatment, which is a good enough reason on it's own.  But If you have a NTSB file, or a DEA, DOJ, state or federal licensing file.  May I respecfully, you consider and accurate organized notebook on how you do self care and the results you obtain. you really want to l get.  this journal has to be totally factual and timely (all entries made withing 24 hours of event being documented).  I reccomend a new notebook, of good quality not used for an other purpose. When you get it: number all the pages in ink before you write.

the only way to mae corection is a SINGLE LINE DRAWN THROUGH THE ERROR, THEN THE CORRETION THE DATE AND YOUR INITIALS.

I could go on and on but you now have at least; 

This has helped me on more than one ocassion.  I've trail blazed with this approach more than once.  I think they will feel pressure to "DO 'WHATS RIGHT, in the minds of every observer.  I had a CGM, and that gave my work  advocates and contacts LOTS OF AMMO for them to take a chance on me.  Keep the log, and cotact the ADA advocacy division and best of luck getting what yo want/

best

Best, to you
first dx T2 in 2008 oral meds didn't work, injected Victoza worked for months
bG went extremely high and I started injecting insulin at urgent care
2nd Dx as T1 IDDM or T1.5 IDDM 8-13
got Dexcom CGM
Now using Tslim pump, diligence and Novalog
to achieve tight control, to keep my job and life
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,291
Topics: 306
High Fives: 666
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

The following federal information regarding CDL's, is just below. This info is in my post, in the sticky on the main T1 page, titled "Reputable Websites". Also please disregard where it says "see msg. #29". The message numbers are out of order, due to a forum platform change, a few years ago.

This one is for those that have a CDL, or are thinking of getting one, and if you use insulin. I believe it also covers for oral glucose lowering meds, but I didn't look at that page.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/medical/medical.htm

http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/part_4_work_ep.aspx

http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/endocrine4_system_ep.aspx
Remember
The diabetes qualification standard parameter is use of insulin, not the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.

http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/diabetes_exempt_ep.aspx

For further information, that is provided by the ADA, please see msg. #29, regarding employment.

Trisha

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Advisor
Diabetes86
Total Posts: 741
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

YES you can get a CDL, the School was wrong.  you get your waiver then go for your DOT physical the person giving the physicle checks the box   "accompanied by a __________ waiver/exemption"  fill in "insulin" into the blank.

Yes its a pain in the butt.

I have a fed waiver for insulin dependence,  Ive had it for 7 years (pain in the ass but doable) and I have a CDL

T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
Responder
edmondsendo
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎03-25-2014

Federal law prevents people on insulin from having a commerical driver's license.   Some states will allow it but you have to have a waiver and you can't cross state lines.   Despite teh state allowing it, there are occasionally exceptions.   In my state, school bus drivers cannot be on insulin.  

I believe the concern is that potential for hypoglycemia and the danger it could cause to people if it were to occur while someone was driving a commercial vehicle (since they tend to be much larger).    School buses it is because of the danger a hypoglycemic episode might pose to children.   Rightly or wrongly, that's the thought process.

Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,266
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

EdmondsEndo wrote:

Federal law prevents people on insulin from having a commerical driver's license.   Some states will allow it but you have to have a waiver and you can't cross state lines.   Despite teh state allowing it, there are occasionally exceptions.   In my state, school bus drivers cannot be on insulin.  

I believe the concern is that potential for hypoglycemia and the danger it could cause to people if it were to occur while someone was driving a commercial vehicle (since they tend to be much larger).    School buses it is because of the danger a hypoglycemic episode might pose to children.   Rightly or wrongly, that's the thought process.

I don't think that is true, take the time to read the links that Trisha left above.  Can you give us a link that says this regarding the information you stated.  If so, I will stand corrected.  Thanks.

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Advisor
Diabetes86
Total Posts: 741
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

Edmond

THAT IS NOT TRUE.....

I have a Fed waiver and a CDL class 1 and I can drive accross state lines.

Please if your going to give info to people you need to be sure its correct info OR state it as opinion!

T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,793
Topics: 75
High Fives: 996
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

The whole topic is complicated, but there has been some improvement in options amd exemptions in recent years.  There is a lot of information at:

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/drivers-licenses/commer...

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.