Long Lost Member
lmtennant@sbcglobal.net
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎05-11-2010

Trying to lose weight...again.

I've been here before, whining about how much weight I need to lose. I am always told, (usually by men with type I), that if I start to work out  I would see results. I already watch what I eat, and I'm stuck at 1400 cal/day. It's enough food, but it definitely doesn't allow me a splurge.

So recently I spoke with a dietitian who actually told me I wasn't eating enough. She confirmed that a 1400 cal/day diet, in conjunction with a workout regimen would give me results. So I've been doing that. A minimum of 5 days a week I visit the gym and do a minimum of 45 minutes on an elliptical, with varying speeds and resistances. On average I burn about 400 calories. I have continued to eat well, sticking to my 1400 cal diet, watching my blood sugars...and still nothing. If anything, I feel as though my clothes are tighter!

Please help! Offer any advice! My husband and I are hoping to start trying to have a baby this summer, and my doctor says I should lose some weight before we start. What am I missing here?

In case your are wondering, I have not experienced a need to change my basal rates. I do have some lows, but not many. I tend to eat a snack just before working out.

WHEN SHOULD I SEE A CHANGE!!!???

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,254
Topics: 304
High Fives: 654
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Laura,

It was last summer when you were here last. I am surmising that you couldn't find your old thread, in order to see the responses. If you have further questions, ask away.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
_julie_
Total Posts: 991
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Julie
Type 1 since January 2008
OmniPod Insulin Pump/Dexcom G4 CGM/Apidra Insulin/Dabbling with Symlin
Responder
smith541
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎01-30-2011

Hi -

Just a couple questions.  Do the calories you are eating in your pre-workout snack equal or exceed the calories you are burning?  I know that before I went on the pump exercise didn't work well for me because I almost always in one way or another wound up eating the calories back on for lows either during or hours after the exercise.  Now I can just cut back my basals when I want to exercise and avoid the lows maybe 85 percent of the time.

Have you had your thyroid checked?  Hypothyroidism is more common in people with diabetes and having low thyroid function can make it very hard to drop weight.

And finally, what kinds of foods are you eating your 1,400 calories in?  I know people say it shouldn't matter and a calorie is a calorie.  But when I started working with a holistic health practitioner on my health about a year ago and on her advice cut all packaged foods and dairy out of my life to the greatest extent possible and starting eating way more whole unprocessed foods (read - vegetables galore and fruit in moderation - no processed grains) I was eating all the time and dropped 8 pounds without trying.  I find it harder to maintain weight as well as blood sugar levels, the more processed foods I eat.  When I can stay away from bread, crackers, dairy and stuff that comes in a box in favor of stuff like veggies, fruit, steel cut oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, fish, nuts, etc. I find it much easier to move the scale in the direction I want. 

That's just what works for me.  All our bodies are different.  You might also listen to the dietician who told you that you aren't eating enough for your body size and lifestyle.  Could be your body is so used to you under-eating that it's holding on to calories like your next meal may never come.

Just don't give up.  If you keep trying healthy approaches, you'll eventually find something that works for you, though it may take longer or be slower due to the need to manage diabetes at the same time.  We can't just suddenly increase our exercise and decrease our food as easily as people with working pancreases can.  Hang in there and good luck!

Alice
Type 1 since 1978
First 30 or so years on injections
OmniPod for the last two years
MiniMed Paradigm 523 as of 2/8/11

Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

In order to lose 1 pound, you need to burn 3500 calories. If you are exercising 5 days a week & burning 400 calories, that is not enough to burn 1 pound. A couple years ago, they were saying that you needed to exercise about 50 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week to maintain weight. Now they are saying you should exercise one hour every day. I know you don’t want to hear it, but you need to bump up the exercise a little.

I agree with what Alice said about “what” those calories are. Total up how much sodium you are eating every day – sodium causes water retention & can impede weight loss. You would be surprised how much sodium is in stuff. A few years ago, they were talking on CNN about some stores injecting something with sodium in the chicken to give it a longer shelf life. At the time, I checked my labels and the store I used did not do that. A few months later, I moved. I had been losing weigh and all of a sudden, my scale stopped & I felt bloated. I was eating chicken every day and started using a new grocery store when I moved. I stopped eating the chicken and the weight loss started again – I tossed what I had but I am sure it had sodium in.

Also watch your carbs. Doing lower carb helps with weight loss. You don’t have to cut back to Atkins level, but if you cut back, it will help.

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010