ADAMateo
Total Posts: 794
Topics: 183
High Fives: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Resources for People with Type 1 Diabetes

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the American Diabetes Association Community!

On behalf of the American Diabetes Association, thanks for checking out our online community. We hope that you will find our website and the many individuals in our online community to be a valuable resource for you as you fight and manage your diabetes.

On these message boards, you can meet and talk with others who have diabetes. This is a place to find and identify with others who are or have been in the same boat as you. Check out the links below for support, information, and friends.

More Information about Type 1 Diabetes

Our main website (www.diabetes.org) has a vast array of information for people with diabetes. These links will take you to some of our pages about the "basics" of diabetes:

Type 1 vs. Type 2
Common Terms
Diabetes Myths

Diabetes Treatment and Care

Have questions about how to take care of your diabetes? Find some answers on our main website: www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care

Specifically, we have areas within that section on medication and insulin that we would encourage you to read.

What Can I Eat?

When it comes to diabetes, everyone wants to know, “What can I eat?” It’s all about planning and moderation. Learn more here: www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food

Exercise Ideas

Regular exercise can be key in helping you manage your diabetes. Here are some thoughts on how much and what kind of exercise may be beneficial for you, as well as some simple but helpful stretches you can do anywhere: www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/fitness/ideas-for-exercise

Reporting

You may report any problems or violations to our Terms of Use by clicking the Options menu in the top right of any post and selecting Report Inappropriate Content.

-------

If you have further questions or any issues, do not hesitate to email our community administrator: community@diabetes.org.

We hope that our website and this online community will be a valuable resource to you as you begin to fight and manage your diabetes.

Thank you,

The American Diabetes Association

Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
Community Administrator
American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org

Feel free to email me (community@diabetes.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
Long Lost Member
muchow
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎12-07-2011

Re: Resources for People with Type 1 Diabetes

Re: T1 and exercise, a few good resources:

1.  Sheri Colberg's books, _The Diabetic Athlete_ and _The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook_.  Both do a great job of discussing "exercise equivalents" to insulin and the "tripod" relationship between insulin, carbs, and exercise.

2. www.InsulINDependence.org.  If you're T1 and serious about being active, this is a group of T1 runners and triathletes. They're a well funded non-profit with good resources and decent sponsorship. You might even manage to leverage them to get some sponsorship for an athletic even if you are part of a team of T1's competing.

3. DESA (Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association), www.diabetes-exerciseorg. Similar to InsulINDependence, but not as well funded, and a little more grass roots. Most big cities already have chapters, and other members are a great resource for figuring out what food and insulin regimen works for your next half marathon, triathlon, 10K, 5K, or just plain old exercise.

I highly recommend reaching out to these resources. I'm a member of DESA and without them I would probably have never run my first half marathon.  This year I completed my third, and I'm now training for a full marathon.

"I'm not type 1... I'm type 13.1!"

Don M

Occasional Visitor
abu1882
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎12-27-2011

www.diabetes.org is the best online resource for diabetes. i feel very proud to be the part of this community

Abubakkar Siddiq K M
What are diabetes
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Matt - this new RESOURCES FOR TYPE 1 DIABETES - IS  A GREAT SOURCE OF HELP!

Thank You!  Thank You so much and especially to those who took the effort to research this valuable information. I reviewed some pages and found most very helpful and will mention this resource to those who need it in the future.

I have also sent you an email with a couple of added resources for this new web page of ADA's Type 1.

Happy New Year!

Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 57years as of Nov 2014
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 11, 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Responder
suerph43
Total Posts: 32
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

Awesome -running is so great for evrtone that is able!  I always like to remind people with diabetes to exercise with a buddy and make sure glucose is on hand.  I especially like Glucose Quick Sticks from meals to live...No Chewing involved!!!

Occasional Responder
Krupdog42
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎04-22-2012

Thanks for the info. I checked online for the Glucose Quick Sticks and they sound good. Is one usually enough for you though, since each only has 5 grams of carbs? I'm trying to exercise more, but always scared of dropping too low.

suerph43 wrote:

Awesome -running is so great for evrtone that is able!  I always like to remind people with diabetes to exercise with a buddy and make sure glucose is on hand.  I especially like Glucose Quick Sticks from meals to live...No Chewing involved!!!

Kelly
~type 1 diagnosed 6 1/2 years ago (at age 36).
~Minimed pumper
~Hopelessly addicted to carbs
~High Blood Pressure
~Hypothyroidism
~Stress eater
Super Advisor
Coastal1
Total Posts: 651
Registered on: ‎07-12-2011

I had never heard of glucose quick sticks -- and since I don't like/use glucose tablets, they're definitely something I want to try.  A little pricey - but when it comes to treating lows

with something effective, tasty, and easy to carry -- it sounds like a winner.  I just ordered a 4-pack box from Amazon.  Thanks for the tip~!

Type 1A ~ Diagnosed 1967 (age 10)
MDI ~ Levemir & Humalog
Dexcom G4
Occasional Responder
Highsandlows
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎01-15-2012

Thanks for the awesome info. I can't wait try the quick sticks!
Shari
Responder
IHSscj
Total Posts: 46
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

I came across the glycemic index back in the 1990s.  It seems to have helped me.  <http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabetes/glycemic-index>

IHSscj
T1, diag in 1972, began home BG monitoring in about 1991. Began Animas pump.therapy 28 Jan 2013.
Occasional Responder
David58
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎06-16-2012

I am david harmon and I was diagnosed as a diabetic in April 2011 and there is not any resources available to me in West Memphis Arkansas. Where can I go to get help in learning to manage my diabetes and educate my family about diabetes?