Advisor
rext1
Total Posts: 159
Registered on: ‎05-24-2012

Re: Need help choosing a insulin pump.

It looks nice so I am going to request some information on this pump too.  I see its a touch screen like the Cell phones. 

thanks,

Rex

* Misdiagnosed Type 2 - May 23, 2007
* Diagnosed Type 1- May 14, 2012
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of May 2013
* Insulin: Humalog
* Labs: C Peptide: <0.5 GAD: >250.0 - May 14, 2012
* A1c 5.6% May 13, 2014
* A1c 5.4% January 24, 2014
Long Lost Member
atherzog
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎02-22-2013

I have been doing some research for my recently diagnosed 14 year old and I have a little info.  I talked to the animas rep and he confirmed that the Ping replacement (Vibe) does not have a remote (in Europe in its current form).  This could change when it gets released stateside but he couldn't comment.  We have been back and forth but I do know after getting our hands on the four major players the TSlim did impress us. 

Frequent Advisor
harleydeuce
Total Posts: 205
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

FYI,  after being live for the past week I finally got to meet with the CDE for my official training.  While setting things up on my own I put the settings in how I wanted them and when I met with the CDE it only lasted for about a half hour. I will say that I am pretty happy with my choice as it turns out I haven't used but maybe a quarter of the settings. There are more bells and whistles that I will never use its ridiculous. Call me crazy but I like simple and this is for me.

Super Advisor
artwoman
Total Posts: 801
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

RE: The Tandem T-Slim. If my insurance covered it that's the one I would choose. The fact that John Walsh (author Using Insulin, Pumping Insulin) and Dr Steve Edelean (Endo with type 1 who founded TCOYD -Taking Control of Your Diabetes) were involved inj its design and features. That's enough for me!

Type 1 - 30+ years
Avid Pumper - Would never go back to MDI
CGM with Dexcom 4 - Loving it - Soo very accurate
Along with test, test,test, 10-15x a day
A1C for the past 6 years 5.3 - hard work and an a-retentive tendency pays off
Portland Oregon
Frequent Advisor
sasooners1
Total Posts: 198
Registered on: ‎05-17-2012

[ Edited ]
I have BCBS and it did cover the T:slim. Tandem does not have a contract with BCBS of Texas yet, so I was sent to a third party. I am using Diabetes Specialty Center and they have been great to work with as well. I have been very impressed with how smoothly everything went as I gathered information and made my decision. I was very impressed that Tandem thought to use actual pump users to help create their pump. I'm loving it so far. I can't believe it has only been a week :smileyhappy:
Michelle
Diagnosed Type 2- February 2001
A1c at diagnosis 8.8
A1c 12/12-6.0
Pumping Novolog with a t:slim since February 2013
Dexcom 4G since February 2013
Advisor
rext1
Total Posts: 159
Registered on: ‎05-24-2012

My Endo set up a meeting with the Medtronic MinMed rep today,  he did a show and tell, my Endo's office does training too, whereas Animas has not stepped up to the plate and even offered to met.   I receive a demo Omipod to day in the mail so I am going to wear it for the weekend.  I have requested information on the T:slim too.

Problem with the MinMed it doesn't use the OneTouch Meter/remote so my insurance won't cover the stipe for the Bayer meter/remote that the Minmed uses.  I saw a YouTube on the MinMed so whats up with only using the Bayer remote now?  I think the Omipod only uses the Concur strips too.  I can't afford to private pay for the stripes.  

Animas Ping does use the OneTouch meter/remote so stripes won't be an issue, but  there is no rep's available to meet with so there's like no local support.  

The t:slim looks cool, but I had a touch screen Cell phone that would butt-dial all the time even with locked.  I want  to see if I can get a show and tell in person. 

It's really looking like the MinMed because my Endo supports it and Medtronic has local trainers too. If my insurance will do the stripes then MinMed will move to the number one.  

Well its getting late an I have to get up at 3:30AM to go to work and put in a 16 hour plus shift.  

Sorry, I work 60 to 80 plus hours per week so I can't reply right away.  

Thank you everyone for your insight and input. 

Rex

* Misdiagnosed Type 2 - May 23, 2007
* Diagnosed Type 1- May 14, 2012
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of May 2013
* Insulin: Humalog
* Labs: C Peptide: <0.5 GAD: >250.0 - May 14, 2012
* A1c 5.6% May 13, 2014
* A1c 5.4% January 24, 2014
Frequent Advisor
harleydeuce
Total Posts: 205
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Just because they send out the bayer doesn't mean you need to use them.  I will say besides being simple it did help that mm had a presence with the hospital and CDE here for me. They have a good relationship with the reps so that was a plus for me. The one touch-mm contract was up so that's why they don't use the one touch anymore. Also I had tried to find the one touch meter and I don't believe they even make it anymore but one could possibly be found on ebay or something.  That said right now I am just using my old strips and entering the glucose numbers manually. Not that big a deal for me vs the meter sends the number to the pump.  I figure if I am going to be entering a dose I'm going to have my fingers on the pump anyway for entering the number isn't a factor for me. FYI in the bayer meter box it does come with a card like every strip manufacturer I think nowadays for a low cost for the strips. I think the bayer and I would need to look at it again says pay no more than $15 or something like that. I haven't gotten any of the strips yet so I couldn't tell you.

Responder
IHSscj
Total Posts: 46
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

My method was to create an Excel spreadsheet (O.K., maybe the extent of creating a spreadsheet was a little obsessive...) with a row for each pump option an a column for each option that would be a factor for me.  (e.g., stylish skins mean nothing to me, so I didn't make a column for that.)  I assigned a ratio to each option based on how important I thought it might be.  Just in case I might be unconsciously biased, I waited to total the scores until after I had assigned the weightings.  

So I ended up with the Animas slightly ahead of the MiniMed; I eliminated the OmniPod, my favorite, because my insurance wouldn't cover it.  

IHSscj
T1, diag in 1972, began home BG monitoring in about 1991. Began Animas pump.therapy 28 Jan 2013.
Responder
samlevitt
Total Posts: 27
Registered on: ‎09-06-2011

I have a animas i love it it has worked better than the mini med i wore a mini med for 2 years and their was always something wrong with it i have has animas for almost 6 years same pump still works great!

Samantha
type1 for 15 years
animas one touch ping pump since sept 11, 2001
A1c: 8.5%
cawei
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎02-27-2013

I have been on the Tslim for almost 2 months now and I am very unsure of its effectiveness. I had been on the MiniMed pump for the past 10 years and was looking for something that was not as bulky and with a better user interface which is why I decided to switch to the Tslim. I liked the color touch screen and graphic display and the fact that it was smaller. However once you add a belt clip it is pretty much the same size as the MiniMed pump.

Since I have been on the Tslim, I use more insulin to keep my blood sugars in control than when I was on the Minimed pump. I have had issues with not getting any insulin which Tech support attributed that my luer lock connection was probably leaking as I could smell insulin all weekend. I also may have punctured the reservoir which also could have contributed to not getting the correct dosage. There were no pump alarms just constant high glucose reading teh entire weekend. I finally changed the reseervoir and infusion set and my glucose started to come down to normal levels. I must say I never had such problems with the MiniMed pump. On the Tslim, I am very inconsistent in my glucose control. With the MiniMed pump if there were ever reservoir or infusion set issues, the pump would not deliver and would alarm so you would know right away.

I am currently using the Cleo infusion set with the Tslim but I plan on switching to MiniMed luer lock (you must use a luer lock set with Tslim) to see if possibly it is the infusion set that is the problem. If the results are similar, I am going back to my MiniMed pump. If my glucose improves drastically, I will know there is something not right with the Tslim.

The Tslim is very new and I wanted to wait to see what other peoples experiences were but I could not find any. I made the switch because I needed to use up my flex spendig dollars before 2013 so I made the switch in good faith. Now I am questioning whether I have made a mistake. My doctor told me they were not prescribing this pump because of occlusion issues but he must have unintentionally approved the prescription. He said I am the only person at the clinic that is using it.

Anyone considering this pump should delay their decision until it has been out in the market place longer and more people have been using it. I don't know what recourse I have if I do not improve on this pump as I doubt they will allow me to retuen it and get my money back so I can go back to the tried and true MiniMed pump.