Established Advisor
sis59
Total Posts: 931
Registered on: ‎12-12-2009

NEW FreeStyle Test Strips

I just got an email from Pod Talk (OmniPod) with the following message:

Important Information Regarding Abbott FreeStyle� Test Strips and the OmniPod System

Abbott Diabetes Care received FDA clearance for its NEW FreeStyle Test Strips. New and improved FreeStyle Blood Glucose Test Strips are intended to be used with FreeStyle (also known as FreeStyle 3 and FreeStyle 5), FreeStyle Freedom� and FreeStyle Flash� blood glucose meters only.

Insulet is awaiting clearance from the FDA for the use of the new FreeStyle� test strips in the OmniPod PDM.

Please continue to use your current FreeStyle� test strips until Insulet obtains FDA clearance.

Anyone know what makes the strips "new and improved?"

-Sue
Type 1, diagnosed at age 38
OmniPod pump using Apidra insulin
Dexcom CGM

My adult son was diagnosed type 1 at age 4
MiniMed Revel pump and CGM
Apidra insulin
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

There was a discussion here a couple weeks ago at http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Topic4432357-3830-1.aspx about the difference between FreeStyle and FreeStyle Lite strips that also discusses old and new FreeStyle strips.
Super Advisor
marymary
Total Posts: 1,170
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Sue, We haven't started using the new ones yet, but after my testing with control solution, we will. They seem to read about 10% lower than the others, in all meters and the Omnipod. Michael likes them a lot better because they seem to suck up the blood faster and I think that the design of them being thinner at the bottom just makes it easier. It looks as if they require less blood, but it is the same. Just smaller black spots.
Mary, mom to Michael and Melissa, both Type 1
Michael is an adult, living on his own and using a CGM and MDI
Melissa is also an adult, with an intellectual disability, therefore she needs lots of help managing her diabetes. She uses an Omnipod pump and Dexcom CGM
Established Advisor
sis59

mollythed (11/6/2010)
There was a discussion here a couple weeks ago at http://connect.diabetes.org/forums/Topic4432357-3830-1.aspx about the difference between FreeStyle and FreeStyle Lite strips that also discusses old and new FreeStyle strips.

Thanks Molly; so when I mail order more strips for the OmniPod I guess I need to specify that I don't want the new Butterfly "lite" strips?

-Sue
Dexcom CGM

Apidra insulin
Established Advisor
sis59

marymaryquitecontrary (11/6/2010)
Hi Sue, We haven't started using the new ones yet, but after my testing with control solution, we will. They seem to read about 10% lower than the others, in all meters and the Omnipod. Michael likes them a lot better because they seem to suck up the blood faster and I think that the design of them being thinner at the bottom just makes it easier. It looks as if they require less blood, but it is the same. Just smaller black spots.

Mary, I don't use control solution, because I don't have any. Where do you get yours?

-Sue
Dexcom CGM

Apidra insulin
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

I have the old PDM. The new and improvedstrips are working just fine for me.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72

Sue,

Call Abbott, # is on back of meter, and on box of strips. They'll send the control solution at no cost. My new strips work with all of my Abbott products, but they are not the lite strips with the butterfly. Mine are the regular ones with the butterfly on the strip. They do work in my lite meter though.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Established Advisor
sis59

Thanks Trisha. If they want people to use the control solution, you would think they would include it with each box of strips that they sell, like they include it with a new meter. I believe it only lasts three months after opened, so that would mean you would have to call Abbott every three months and ask them to send a bottle.

-Sue
Dexcom CGM

Apidra insulin
Frequent Responder
energeticmom
Total Posts: 479

sis59 (11/7/2010)
Thanks Trisha. If they want people to use the control solution, you would think they would include it with each box of strips that they sell, like they include it with a new meter.quote]

They would never consider that Sue -- it is way too logical, LOL.
Jeannie
Mom to 14-year-old Katherine, dx'd at age 7
Super Advisor
marymary
Total Posts: 1,170

Hi Sue, It wouldn't be the lite strips that they would send you to use with the Omnipod, those are the ones that require no coding. The problem is that the new improved ones and the ones that you are now using have the same number on them so it may be difficult to explain to the supply company. I actually found out that the supply company will send out control solution with every order and bill insurance for it. They had it in their little newsletter once and I had them send it but didn't realize that they charged for it. Not sure if I will have them send it again, but probably will cause it is easier than calling Abbott. You can get Abbott to send 2 bottles though, so it would mean a call every six months.

I really just think it is a matter of time before the new strips are FDA approved. I think that some people may have gotten some bad strips though and they are the ones posting that they are so inaccurate. I do wonder which ones are more accurate, the old or the new ones? I always found the old ones to be accurate compared to the lab, so I suspect that the new ones are made with a slight safety cushion and read low purposely. If I see the A1c moving up then I will know for sure. I always thought that One Touch read low also, in comparison to other meters and strips.
Mary, mom to Michael and Melissa, both Type 1
Michael is an adult, living on his own and using a CGM and MDI
Melissa is also an adult, with an intellectual disability, therefore she needs lots of help managing her diabetes. She uses an Omnipod pump and Dexcom CGM