Super Advisor
gb2847
Total Posts: 749
Registered on: ‎04-10-2011

Metanx for neuropathy and insurance coverage

About 2 months ago my podiatrist said that I have a little neuropathy in my feet and put me on Metanx.  It is a vitamin supplement that helps protect the blood vessles and nerves, I guess.  He said it would help prevent the neuropathy from getting worse, and may even reverse it a little.

Today I called in the refill, and the pharmacy called back to tell me that my insurance will took it off of theri formulary and will no longer cover it.  It is $66 for one month's supply.

Should I pay it, even though it is very hard on my budget, or is it worth it?

I know that none of you are doctors, but I'd appreciate any input you may have on the subject.

Thanks!

gb2847
Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 by mistake --1/26/11
Diagnosed correctly with Type 1-- 4/5/11 (just before 47th birthday)
using Animas pump and Dexcom cgm
Also have Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Asthma, Osteo Arthritis, Osteo Pinea, Gastroparesis, GERD, Hypersensitivity to irritants in environment (lungs, eyes), and Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,195
Topics: 302
High Fives: 634
Blog Posts: 61
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Metanx for neuropathy and insurance coverage

Hi GB,

I have no idea what this supplement is, but there is not a chance in hell, that I would pay that price for any supplement. (I'd rather buy tools for me, stuff for hubby, and for the grandsons.) Get your numbers in check as much as possible, and if it is diabetic neuropathy, it will help. You can also go the RX route. I did for sometime, and then stopped those as well - I HATE taking meds of any kind. When I have diabetic neuropathy pain, I shave my legs and or just work through it. Shaving my legs does wonders for that body part of the pain. Everywhere else is where I can only work through it.

Just by chance that you do go the RX route, make sure the doctor puts on the prescription "for diabetic neuropathy". The reason being, is because some of those RX's used for diabetic neuropathy are epileptic RX's. I had told my long ago doctor to put it on there, because if I were to be injured in anyway, or was in the ER due to hypos or whatever, that is what was to be treated, not anything epileptic, since I don't have that condition.

Hope this helps.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
gb2847

This is an Rx.  The insurance just decided to stop covering it from now on.  I"ll ask him if there is an alternative that my insurance does cover.  I'll also ask if he had put "diabetic neuropathy" on it.    It may make a difference in coverage, but not likely.  I'll be sure to have "diabetic" put in there from now on for anything that could be for other conditions.  Thanks for that heads up!

gb2847
Also have Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Asthma, Osteo Arthritis, Osteo Pinea, Gastroparesis, GERD, Hypersensitivity to irritants in environment (lungs, eyes), and Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,195
Topics: 302
High Fives: 634
Blog Posts: 61
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Sorry about that, GB. I didn't realize that it is an RX. The word supplement seems to have overridden my noodle on that one. :smileysad:

Good luck with finding something that the insurance will cover. From my experience this week, and with what I've read elsewhere, many of the insurances are taking it upon themselves, to play *doctor*.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
gb2847

Trisha,

NO worries!  I appreciate how helpful you always are!

gb2847
Responder
pill_lady
Total Posts: 40
Registered on: ‎07-31-2011

If you look at the package insert for Metanx it is "essentially" folic acid, B6 ans B12 derivatives. Why don't you try those OTC supplements (much cheaper) as an alternative? 

Diagnosed 1995 T2 Various oral meds,diet, carb restrict
Sept 2011 - Novolog- MDI, Actos, Amaryl
April 2013 - Pumping -Accuchek Spirit Combo, Actos
11/11 A1c 6.0
5/12 A1c 5.6
9/12 A1c 5.6
3/13 A1c 6.1
7/13 A1c 6.4
11/13 A1c 5.5
Super Advisor
gb2847

pill_lady wrote:

If you look at the package insert for Metanx it is "essentially" folic acid, B6 ans B12 derivatives. Why don't you try those OTC supplements (much cheaper) as an alternative? 

That is what I was thinking.  The doc told me that there is something about the formulation of the Metanx that makes it much more effective for neuropathy.  I don't remember exactly how he explained it, but it made the otc supplements seem really inferior.  I'm going to talk to him today when I bring my son in.

gb2847
Frequent Responder
sharon103070
Total Posts: 571
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

GB,

We've talked about this on here before, but in case you haven't seen it...have you tried Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)? You can read about it online. There was lots of talk about it here. That's how I first learned about it. It has helped me a lot although the pain I have from neuropathy isn't horrible. I would call it "mild," but I didn't want it getting worse without my trying something so I thought I'd try it. To my surprise, it really helped me. I get mine at Trader Joe's. There are 90 capsules in a container and it costs about $7-8.00. Maybe it's something to talk with your doc about. Good luck.

Sharon

Type 1 since March 29, 1983 (12 years old)
Using a minimed pump since 2004
Super Advisor
gb2847

I spoke with the foot doc yesterday.  He explained that the Metanx goes directly to X (I can't remember the name).  Folic acid goes to A, which goes to B, which goes to X (again, I can't remember the names).  In diabetics something goes wrong in the process and it never gets to X which is what helps maintain and regrow the nerve endings.  That is why Metanx is the only thing that really works.

I still am going without it b/c of the cost.  Hopefully a good generic will come out.  There had been one that was made in China, but it was only half the strength, so to get the same benefit twice the amount was needed, negating the cost benefit.  It is no longer available.

gb2847
Occasional Responder
beclotaware
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎12-09-2011

Dr. Ben Lynch has a product par to metanx. You can visit him online at healthegoods. The product is called homocystex. The only difference is instead of using l methyl folate he uses 5MTHF. And he also ads B2 and Betaine/TMG. Anyone who sees improvement with metanx should really get tested for the MTHFR gene mutation. Dr. Ben's homocystex is around $29 for a month's supply. Also Thorne sells a product called methylguard. People with the MTHFR gene mutation who are diabetics that are taking oral diabetic medication vs. insulin tend to have vitamin b depletion from the oral diabetic medication. People with MTHFR respond better to insulin rather than oral diabetic medication. Up to 70% of the population has an MTHFR gene mutation. Hope this could help you.

Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate) 30 mg - Vitamin B6 (from 25 mg pyridoxal 5'-phosphate) 15 mg - Folate (as Metafolin L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) 800 mcg - Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin 1000 mcg - Betaine (trimethylglycine as TMG) 600 mg