Long Lost Member
donnad12362
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎01-25-2010

Menopause and type 1 Diabetes

I have had diabetes for 27 yrs. I think now that i am starting menopause. I have not went to gyn dr. to see if this is really starting. But i have been having night sweats for about 1 yr. off and on. Now the flashes have started. This last yr. my bs go low when i start my cycle. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems.
trisha01
Total Posts: 5,988
Topics: 295
High Fives: 567
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Donna Dodson (1/25/2010)
I have had diabetes for 27 yrs. I think now that i am starting menopause. I have not went to gyn dr. to see if this is really starting. But i have been having night sweats for about 1 yr. off and on. Now the flashes have started. This last yr. my bs go low when i start my cycle. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems.

Donna, although I had a full hysterectomy ( thanks Dalkon Shield) when I was 26, I still had the menopausal symptons. I was well over mine when I hit 35. You don't say how old you are, but I do know that the earlier a girl starts her menses, the earlier her menopause starts - hot flashes, night sweats, sweats at any time. Just the whole kit and kaboodle. I think it would be safe to say, that you might want to make your appointment and get started on premarin, or whatever they prescribe nowadays. As far as it affecting diabetes, no more than anything else did (for me). It could be different for you. Good luck, a woman does not have to suffer through menopause. Hope this helps.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Long Lost Member
mgintn
Total Posts: 43
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

I have other autoimmune issues on top of my diabetes, so I have been dealing with nightsweats and hot flashes since I was 25. But NOW, I'm into that peri-menopause thing, and they are getting worse and more frequent, along with the mood swings (mood swings from h*ll).

My BG's crank up no matter what I do the week before I'm due, then crash the MOMENT I get it, which since I have nothing to really compare it to (only been dealing with D for 3.5 years) I didn't know if this was normal. Now I know, LOL! I'm already into that irregular pattern that is symptomatic of the peri-m.

I've been seriously contemplating asking my endo if I should get a hysterectomy and have done with this....
trisha01
Total Posts: 5,988
Topics: 295
High Fives: 567
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

mgintn (1/26/2010)
I've been seriously contemplating asking my endo if I should get a hysterectomy and have done with this....

Hey MGinTN, if you have youngin's around, it's easier to do the menopause deal. Glad you made it over to the new forum.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Established Advisor
Betty32506
Total Posts: 353
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

mgintn (1/26/2010)

In no way would a hysterectomy help. It would put you in menopause if you weren't already there. This is true even if they did not take the ovaries also.

Also I suggest you consult a doctor ASAP regarding hormones. Years ago I should have had harmones but under the cancer scare no one would do it. Then I broke my back and the doctor said I needed to find a doctor that would. I think that now the known benefits far out weigh the known risks. You can really loose calcium, more at first. This is damage that can only slightly undone and problems for the rest of your life.
Betty
Long Lost Member
mgintn
Total Posts: 43
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

I saw my endo on Thursday, and actually asked her about this, and got an emphatic NO!

She commiserated, but explained about loss of hormones vs. fluctuating hormones and at least having some. So far my BDTs have been fine, but I also take calcium+D3.

*sigh* I guess the spouse will have to just apply flowers and hugs when the mood swings strike!

(thanks for the Welcome, Trish!)
Frequent Responder
Gail_
Total Posts: 133
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Hello!

I don't know if you are talking about the problems of menapause, getting surgery, or starting hormones, but I'll share my story, it may or may not help. It's 37 years I've had diabetes now. I also have epilepsy.

At the age of around 28, my blood sugars went really low which would bring on a seizure...it was awful!!! I then got the fibroids or what ever you call them, surgeries went on to remove them, but my life was h*ll. They finally decided to remove everything (called an oopherectomy), a total hysterectomy. Then, I started hormones (Premarin). Everything calmed down and it was glorious not to have a period, continual reactions, and seizures. Life was better...at least I thought so.

BUT, I don't think all of that was neccessarily the exact right thing to do after looking back. Doctors didn't know what they do now. Endocrinologists are very aware of this problem and know how to adjust the insulin during that time. Do you have a pump? Your basal rates can be changed during that time and your problem just may go away. Your doctor can best help you change your insulin.

As far as hormones go, I wouldn't do them any more. My mother and sister had breast cancer (and you know that hormones cause cancer). I had bumps in my breasts and thank God they weren't cancer. Sure hormoves, does calm down the mood and help the night sweats, stops the blood sugars going all over the place, but what's more important...that or the chance of cancer? Especially now that they can figure insulin out now. It's nice to take the easy way out, but it's healthier to ride it out...go with the flow!

When I stopped taking the hormones (two weeks ago), I turned into a witch that neither my husband or I have seen before! I want to take my fists and knock down the walls amongst many other things! I want to scream at my beloved husband. But, there are natural remedies for that problem and will try them. I do hear that black cohash does not work well. But, there are others. Your other doctor can tell you what they are.

I wish you the best in your decision, what ever it may be! Take care.

Gail

Diagnosed Type 1 in 1972
Gail
Type 1 diabetes since 1972
Visitor
gunncams
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-03-2013

Re: Menopause and type 1 Diabetes

I have had type 1 diabetes for 42 years.  I am now 47 years old and understand your frustration.  Menopause is causing your hormone levels to drop and hormones make you more resistant to insulin.  If there are less hormones on board, your insulin requirements will be less.  I am presently having adjust my Lantus dosage - I am waking up in the 50's - I am adjusting from 8 1/2 units to 7 1/2.  You will need to adjust your insulin accordingly until you find the right combination.  Good luck to you!

Established Advisor
artwoman
Total Posts: 609
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

I don't think that any of our experiences will be of too much help here - menopause is a lot like type 1 YMMV.  But ways to cope with it can help.  My background - as a ballet dancer with little no no body fat (ah those were the days) I didn't start my periods until I was 28 years old - after I retired the frist time from dancing.  I started to have the night sweats and hot flashes at about age 48. My biggest concern was telling the difference between the night sweats from menopause and the sweats from going low.  Well, I soon learned that the menopausal ones were associated with great heat - not the cold clammy ones of a hypo.  I thought about HRT.  I had no risk factors for problems and I learned that the studies that were done initally only looked at one HRT "recipe"   I also asked friends for their anecdotal expereience.  My friends found that HRT did help, but mostly postponed the bothersome symptoms untul they stopped HRT.  I decided to forgo the HRT since I had access through my day job to air conditioning. And as a realatively young woman, I could cope with the symptoms.  I finally got done with it after about 6-7 years.  But last year they came back!  Oh well.

My biggest problem is that I sweat so much that my pump sets slide off.  So I use Skin Tac or Mastisol  adhesives to keep the infusion sets inserted.  Bsically the hot flashes are the result of the capillaries dilating throughout your body, thus the heat.  Wearing cotton and sleepwear that wicks the sweat away makesw you more comfortable while sleeping.  I also found that sipping ice water throughout the day helped.  And it was good for me.

This too shall pass.

Type 1 - 30+ years
Avid Pumper - Would never go back to MDI
CGM with Dexcom 4 - Loving it - Soo very accurate
A1C for the past 6 years 5.3 - hard work and an a-retentive tendency pays off
Portland Oregon
Super Advisor
gb2847
Total Posts: 737
Registered on: ‎04-10-2011

I had a hysterectomy (ovaries and tubes, too) when I was 31, long before I became diabetic, so I can't comment on the effects on bg.  However I can tell you that to avoid menopausal symptoms at the time, they put me on a high dose of estrogen.  It was to simulate the normal levels I'd have w/o the hysterectomy at that age.

About 2 years ago I was told that it was time to wean off, to be post menopausal like most women my age.  I did, but the hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings were killing me!:smileyfrustrated:  I went back to the gyno and he gave me an estrogen patch called Vivelle.  It is about the size of half of a bandaid.  The dose can be as low as 0.05 mg released daily, and the patch is changed twice a week.  My dose is 0.075mg., because the lower dose wasn't cutting it for me.  It is easy, stays on well, and I have no side effects.

Now I am glad I have that patch because last year I learned that I have osteo pinea, which is about halfway to osteo porosis.  The estrogen helps with absorbtion of calcium, which I take daily.

I would never get a hysterectomy just to avoid the symptoms of menopause, even if it could work (which it couldn't).   Estrogen in some form is the only way to effectively relieve all of them.  I had to have the surgery because my endometriosis became so severe and wide spread that I was doubled over in pain twice (yes twice!) each month. I had to wait a few months while depo provera "burned off any residual endometriosis" before I could begin the estrogen.  I had the hot flashes and other fun stuff during that wait, too.

gb2847
Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 by mistake --1/26/11
Diagnosed correctly with Type 1-- 4/5/11 (just before 47th birthday)
using Animas pump and Dexcom cgm
Also have Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Asthma, Osteo Arthritis, Osteo Pinea, Gastroparesis, GERD, Hypersensitivity to irritants in environment (lungs, eyes), and Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea