Total Posts: 6,195
Topics: 302
High Fives: 634
Blog Posts: 61
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Medical Alert Jewelry

JKFITZ wrote:

I've been thinking about  getting a bracelet but I haven't aclue where to get it.  I'm sure if I looked it up I'd find it but lately everything seems to be above my capabilities. Anyone know the website?

JK,

Most pharmacies carry the stainless steel ones, and they are about $8.00. This thread on the Parents Forum, has several links for other styles and types.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Advisor
spam01
Total Posts: 182
Registered on: ‎01-18-2012

Another source may be your local jewelry store.  I got a nice silver one that looks like a dressy bracelet that I wear to work, and also picked up a child's band that had a large silver ID piece on it.  I got it engraved then put onto my watch band for weekends.  I always wear my watch and that way I have the ID piece right on the band. 

10/4/2011 Type 1
09/13 Omnipod

Go Red Riders!! - 2014 - Signed up to Ride 62.5 miles (metric century 100K) on June 8th at Tour de Cure in Verona NY (Team Ommegang)
Frequent Responder
sharon103070
Total Posts: 571
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Hi. I got the name of this site from Diabetes Forecast. It's beadin-beagle.com. Google it to make sure of the spelling and dash placement. I was really happy with them. It looks nothing like a medical bracelet although, it does have the caduceus on it which alerts medical people to it. I have my name, diseases and pumps on the back. You can also google medical jewelry and get some ideas. Good luck!
Sharon

Type 1 since March 29, 1983 (12 years old)
Using a minimed pump since 2004
Responder
JSW82576
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎09-29-2011

I got my bracelet from StickyJ.com and it's pretty "trendy" if I do say so myself.  There's not a whole lot of room for engraving but I was albe to put the important info on it.  

Jamie
Type 1 since April of 2011
A1C 4/11 12.9
A1C 5.9 8/11
A1C 6.7 11/11
A1C 7.0 2/12
MEDRONIC PUMP USER since December 2011
THYROID DISEASE-HOSHIMOTO'S DISEASE
Responder
mzahnow
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎12-04-2011

I checked out Stickyj.com and Beadin-Beagle.com, and they both have really cute stuff! I may have to try the clear nail polish trick first, though.  :smileyhappy:  Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Responder
stardustgirl
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎05-06-2012

I have the same nickel allergy. I've recently been searching for a bracelet. I googled "titanium medical id bracelets" and got back some good links. I've heard that titanium is supposed to be good for those with allergies. But, they are pricier than most of the others (unless you're going for gold, of course). The comments about what to put on the bracelets have been interesting. Especially from the EMSs.
Responder
KarliR
Total Posts: 22
Registered on: ‎04-20-2012

My braclet says my full name and that im diabetic and my allergies, however I need a new one cause I been developing more allergies :smileyhappy:

Responder
JSW82576
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎09-29-2011

My bracelet has a metal "tag" on it that has Diabetes on the front of it in all caps and also has remove strap see other side, I have engraved on that side the following

NAME

Type 1

Insulin Pump

Sulfa Allergy

ICE ***-***-****

I've also programmed my phone with ICE number because some police and EMT's will look for that if they find your phone.

Jamie
Type 1 since April of 2011
A1C 4/11 12.9
A1C 5.9 8/11
A1C 6.7 11/11
A1C 7.0 2/12
MEDRONIC PUMP USER since December 2011
THYROID DISEASE-HOSHIMOTO'S DISEASE
Responder
nikky72
Total Posts: 12
Registered on: ‎05-10-2012

Hi Steve, I just saw your post and wanted to comment.  I have type 1 for over 30 years and use the pump.  I do not wear any Medical Alert jewelry because I would have to were multiple ones in order to fit all my info on it.   LOL.... In addition to T1DM, I also have chronic kidney disease and a couple of severe allergies to meds.  I know that I should wear one though.  Fortunately, I have never lost consciousness or had a seizure.  Good luck....

Nichole Welling