Long Lost Member
foard
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎03-02-2010

Levemir Vs Lantus

I tried switching to Lantus a few years ago and, sadly, found out I was allergic to it. (Apart from extreme hypoglycemic episodes I would break out in a rash). I just recently heard about Levemir, I know, behind the times much? Is it the same stuff? If someone is allergic to the one, is he likely to be allergic to the other? I have been taking NPH and have been keeping pretty good control on a low carb diet but the unpredictable nature of the NPH can be a pain in the rear.

Thanks all.
Occasional Contributor
lxpilgrim
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎06-21-2011

Levemir Vs Lantus

Hello,  energeticmom.  I have been a diabetic for five years. Before this March ,I once took premixed insulin for therapy, twice a day. My A1C was 7.3%. Therefore? I switch my twice a day to MDI. First I took regular insulin and NPH, now I used insulin analog novolgo and levemir. 
I am on MDI with novolog plus levemir therapy ?breakfast 5u, lunch 8, supper 8 and before bedtime 4(pm 9:00 ).  For me, if I inject 5 unit of levemir at night, I often wake up with hypo at 7:30 with BG 3.x. Now I took 4 levimir and FBG of next morning is 4-5 mmol/L. I only took levemir once a day. I wonder if levemir really last as long as 18-25 hr. For me, my BG is ok if I do not have snack after 3 hours of novolog injection.
      I wonder I could split my small dose of levemir twice a day (3+3). It seems unnecesary If levemir once a day combined my bolus can control my whole day BG well.
      I guess whether my pancreas are still secreting a small dosage of insulin. My weight is 58 kilogram and my total daily doasge TDD is 25 units. I am physcically fit and more sensitive to insulin.
Does anyone can give my suggestions and recommendations?
Dx on 2006-5-27; HbA1C 14.6, T1 DM
MDI, novolog 5/8/8, basal levemir: 4/3 twice a day
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Established Contributor
kellywpa
Total Posts: 2,750
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

No, it is not the same stuff. Lantus is glargine and Levemir is detemir. I used to work with a guy that was allergic to Lantus but lost tough with him before I heard about Levemir.

Levemir might not last as long as the NPH for you. I only get 7 hours out of mine so I take it every 8 hours. But it is very stable for me and I am not bouncing around like I did with Lantus. Most people do take it twice a day though and do fine with that.

I would ask your doctor if they can give you a sample that way you won�t have to spend money to found out you don�t like it. But I would definitely recommend it and it is a totally different insulin than Lantus.

Kelly
www.kellywpa.wordpress.com
Type 1, Diagnosed January, 1984
Dexcom Seven Plus CGMS

Pumping With Animas PIng & Apidra Since June, 2010

Long Lost Member
foard

Levemir Vs Lantus

Thanks for the great reply! I didn't realize Levemir is so short acting (relatively) most of the googling I did returned articles comparing it to Lantus. Sounds like it is essentially like NPH with a better absorption rate and without the peak. I will, cautiously, pursue this.
Long Lost Member
tcluddy
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

I was on levemir, never tried lantus. But the levemir worked ok, I definitely felt like it didnt last the time length they said it would.
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 995
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

My daughter is on Levemir twice a day. Maybe that's why we're still having problems with her numbers if it isnt even lasting 12 hours for her. But she does like it better then when she was on Lantus a year ago. Says the Levemir doesnt sting as bad going in. We got our first box of pens from the doctor as a sample. She wrote a Rx to fill if the results were good with it.

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.
Long Lost Member
type1er
Total Posts: 128
Registered on: ‎12-21-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

Jeff -- What kind of rash, out of curiosity? At the injection site or elsewhere? I noticed after I started using Lantus that I have developed dry/red/itchy skin on my face, something I've never experienced prior. My Endocrinologist is adamant in his position that this is not a side effect of Lantus, but I don't know if I believe him or not.
Long Lost Member
foard

Levemir Vs Lantus

It was basically like breaking out in hives, to be honest I don't really remember experiencing a rash, but it would occur during long, very severe hypoglycemic episodes. Others that were around me at the time would tell me that I had broken out when I would become lucid.
Long Lost Member
type1er
Total Posts: 128
Registered on: ‎12-21-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

Okay, I'm not experiencing anything like that. Thanks for the response, though. Good luck...
Frequent Responder
energeticmom
Total Posts: 479
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Levemir Vs Lantus

My daughter did not have good results with Lantus, but has had great results with Levemir, 2X/day, for the past few years. The Levemir is very forgiving -- it lasts 12 + hours, and there's no problem with overlapping doses.

Jeannie
Jeannie
Mom to 14-year-old Katherine, dx'd at age 7