Responder
amneske
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎07-24-2012

Ladies, where do you put your pump when wearing a dress??

Hello all,

I have been wearing a medtronic pump for almost 6 years now, and have pretty much given up on wearing dresses! Occasionally I can somehow stuff it somewhere, but it always sticks out or doesn't stay put. I used to love wearing strappy summer dresses, but now can't do it anymore. I recently purchased a cute maxi dress and was determined to figure out how to wear it. It is braless so it can't go there (plus I am rather small on top, so putting a pump in my bra looks a little weird anyways. Does anyone have any tricks to share?? I just don't like the pump to show when I get dressed up. I feel it distracts from the look. I am thinking about going on the omnipod to alleviate this issue down the line, but my pump warranty doesn't expire until 2014, so im hoping for a fix until then!

Thanks!

Type 1 diabetic for 23 years, since age 6. I have a medtronic minimed insulin pump and a Dexcom CGM.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Ladies, where do you put your pump when wearing a dress??

Bumping to top for pumpers that may not have seen her post.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,207
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Yes, the bra is often mentioned as the place to hide the pump, but it doesn't work for me either. One of my first sundresses I cut a hole I the pocket to put the tubing through. Another with buttons I clip it right at the belt line. For awhile I tried a band around my thigh to clip the pump - mine was self made, but you can find them on line for pump wearers. Now I sometimes just use my underwear. not convenient, but .... I tried a sample omnipod before I got the minimed. Personally I found it more noticeable, and I ended up accidentally pulling it off within 2 days. Many people love them of course, but I'm not sure discretion is the reason to get one.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

I know that Kerri from Six Unto Me has come up with some ingenious ways to hide a pump while wearing a dress. Maybe she will have a blog about it on her blog site Six Unto Me.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 733
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

I made a pump pouch that goes on Ashleigh's thigh, for her to wear when she has dresses on.  Wish i had a picture, but i must of deleted them all. Basically I took large elastic covered it with soft stretchy material and made it large enough (but snug enough to not fall down) to fit on her upper thigh. Then i made a pouch out of matching material to hold her insulin pump.

Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping. Dexcom G4 CGM
July 2014 A1C 6.1%
Super Advisor
artwoman
Total Posts: 934
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

I use as bandeau bra that is too small to use as a bra.  I wear it around my waist. and stick the pump in there. It isn't easty to access, I go into a private room or restroom to bolus, but it does mean I can wear dresses, including strapless ones.  I don't trust the thigh things, if you ove around, they can fall down and become ankle things.

I also am not too busty. I will also tuck it under one of the "girls" and use a baby sock that is stuffed with tissue for under the other "girl".

Type 1 - 30+ years
Avid Pumper - Would never go back to MDI
CGM with Dexcom 4 - Loving it - Soo very accurate
Along with test, test,test, 10-15x a day
A1C for the past 6 years 5.3 - hard work and an a-retentive tendency pays off
Portland Oregon
Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 733
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

artwoman wrote:

I use as bandeau bra that is too small to use as a bra.  I wear it around my waist. and stick the pump in there. It isn't easty to access, I go into a private room or restroom to bolus, but it does mean I can wear dresses, including strapless ones.  I don't trust the thigh things, if you ove around, they can fall down and become ankle things.

I also am not too busty. I will also tuck it under one of the "girls" and use a baby sock that is stuffed with tissue for under the other "girl".

I must make mine pretty tight then, ashleigh's never had an issue with it falling off.  As for bolusing since she uses the ping she just bolus right from her meter remote. No need to remove the pump from her pouch.  She also has a pouch she wears on her waist. She wears it mainly with pants, but has also worn it under dresses. We bought it back in May, and i keep forgetting she has it! I really like her pouch, not only does it have a pocket for her pump, but it also has 2 extra pockets that she can fit her cell phone and her ipod into. It's made by www.tallygear.com

Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping. Dexcom G4 CGM
July 2014 A1C 6.1%
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

Chris,

Thank you for the link to Tallygear. I remember it from Children With Diabetes and it is a great idea. Thanks again for bringing it up.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Occasional Responder
aelexa
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎03-02-2012

I never thought of cutting a hole!  I have serious issues putting it in my bra...it's always falling out at the MOST embarassing times!!!  You learn to be innovative to say the least when dealing with this - but I STILL believe it is better than 4+ shots a day!!! :smileyhappy:

T1 since 1970 (age 1) - insulin pump therapy since 2003 - Apidra insulin
"Ever drifting down the stream –
Lingering in the golden gleam –
Life, what is it but a dream?”
Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass
Established Advisor
jt_type1
Total Posts: 378
Registered on: ‎11-11-2009

I buy the thigh highs from Victoria secrets that have the rubber band on top to keep them up without a garter belt.  I usually cut of the stalking part cause I hate wearing them and just use the band.  I put the pump in the band between my leg and off I go.  I also have a velcro strap with a pocket in it that I can cinch to my calf for long dresses.  For short dresses I usually use the VS band.

Mommy of 2 happy kids, insane wife of a patient husband
Type 1 since 1984
A1C fluctuates between 5.8 to 7.1 depending how hard I work at it or slack off
Pumping since 1995
I started a blog:smileyhappy: www.type1nsons.com