Long Lost Member
Banegas
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎05-31-2013

Insulin pump co-pay

My insurance pays all but $700. of my cost for a new mini med insulin pump.  Does anyone know where I can get help with the $700. co-pay ?
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,240
Topics: 303
High Fives: 653
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Insulin pump co-pay

[ Edited ]

Banegas wrote:
My insurance pays all but $700. of my cost for a new mini med insulin pump.  Does anyone know where I can get help with the $700. co-pay ?

Sorry you are having this difficulty, but there is usually no help available. You may have to rely on family and friends, or save up a lot of money. Something else to consider, if they pay only a certain amount for the pump, they may only pay a certain amount for the monthly pump supplies.

If you are having trouble with your numbers, etc. we can help with that.

Welcome to the community.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Responder
putertech
Total Posts: 157
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Ask the pump company if they'll take payments for the remaining $700. You never know!

Type 1
Currently on MDIs using Levemir and Novolog
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,185
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Banegas wrote:

This is not an easy issue  but some ideas to try. . . . . . . . . .
1)  Have you checked out the Tagged Messages found at the top of the  Type 1 Message Board screen; background is light orchid.  There are helpful hints you could research for agencies or other ways that might be of help to you.
2) Ask if you could make a payment each month to the pump supplier, if  this is a possible solution within your budget?
3) Can you Appeal your insurance companies decision to pay only $ 700? I have occasionally heard that this approach has worked.
4) In your community, county or State is there an organization that helps with health needs?  Have you checked  with your  local churches and service clubs and  with your county or the state health departments?
Wishing you the best
Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,240
Topics: 303
High Fives: 653
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Leehr wrote:

Banegas wrote:

This is not an easy issue  but some ideas to try. . . . . . . . . .
1)  Have you checked out the Tagged Messages found at the top of the  Type 1 Message Board screen; background is light orchid.  There are helpful hints you could research for agencies or other ways that might be of help to you.
snipped.......
Joan

Joan,

The place that I usually suggest (which is in the sticky and in my signature), is the only one that helps with pump and supplies. They do not help with the financial part of it. However, I have not been suggesting them lately, as they appear to have stopped doing so, a few months ago. It is hoped that they will start back up again, but who knows.

The other places that are also in the sticky, will help with insulin, test strips, etc., and for any medications that one needs - diabetic or not. These other places will not help with pumps/cgms, and pump/cgm supplies. Also, none of those listed in the sticky, will help with financial needs.

Sorry to be the bearer of not good news.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,185
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Thanks Trisha  - appreciate your update.  I have not checked  out  the tagged message for sometime due to lack of computer time.  I must leave my computer every hour for 20 minutes or my eyes say "that's enough!" 

In Oregon we have organizations that help with health financial needs; mostly the service clubs and churches and sometimes the county or state health department.  I hope one of the responses sent will help!

Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Frequent Responder
J_one_81_ps3
Total Posts: 221
Registered on: ‎10-05-2011

if you can't afford the pump how can you afford the supplies and up keep that goes along with it??? 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Type 1 dx. on 7-26-07......enjoying every bonus moment insulin allows, even the painful ones......
Established Advisor
jt_type1
Total Posts: 373
Registered on: ‎11-11-2009

Pump companies offer help sometimes but you gotta ask for it and honestly they would be the people who would know. Sometimes your best friend is your pump rep.

And J1, sometimes insurance cover the actually pump at one rate and the monthly supplies at another. My pump was covered 80/20. I paid $1k for it but it covers my monthly supplies, tape, accessories at 100% that's how I afford it.

You may also want to make friends with your insurance rep. They will know every loop hole in the book to get things covered.
Mommy of 2 happy kids, insane wife of a patient husband
Type 1 since 1984
A1C fluctuates between 5.8 to 7.1 depending how hard I work at it or slack off
Pumping since 1995
I started a blog:smileyhappy: www.type1nsons.com
Frequent Responder
J_one_81_ps3
Total Posts: 221
Registered on: ‎10-05-2011

Hey jt I still don't know an agent. . August I will be able to look how health insurance plans look like then jan finally not be turned down. .

_________________________________________________________________________________

Type 1 dx. on 7-26-07......enjoying every bonus moment insulin allows, even the painful ones......
Established Advisor
jt_type1
Total Posts: 373
Registered on: ‎11-11-2009

[ Edited ]

j1 - Good Luck!! I am just as excited as you about the preexisting clause being dropped.  I'm already working with our broker about putting it in place legally although our company never had that clause to begin with.  If you do ever get an agent, become thier best buddy.  They know of every single loop hole and never take no for an answer the first time.  They may be correct that something isn't covered but usually there is a way to get it covered.  You just gotta speak up and ask them how.

Mommy of 2 happy kids, insane wife of a patient husband
Type 1 since 1984
A1C fluctuates between 5.8 to 7.1 depending how hard I work at it or slack off
Pumping since 1995
I started a blog:smileyhappy: www.type1nsons.com